• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BigSky playoff possibilities

grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
Depends on the nature of our losses if we do 0-2 to close the season. Losing bad to Weber at home and dropping the cat game by more than a score or two would likely put us out. Ten years ago that wouldn’t be the case

No. The Griz are a lock, no matter what happens. Do I want them to prove it? No. But they're a lock and a max bid will be submitted for the first round should they not get a seed.

If the Griz are the eighth seed and win at home in the second round, can they out-bid NDSU for the third round and get a home game or are they stuck going there?

I want to say the bids are only for that first round. After that, higher seed hosts.

grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
Depends on the nature of our losses if we do 0-2 to close the season. Losing bad to Weber at home and dropping the cat game by more than a score or two would likely put us out. Ten years ago that wouldn’t be the case

No. The Griz are a lock, no matter what happens. Do I want them to prove it? No. But they're a lock and a max bid will be submitted for the first round should they not get a seed.

If the Griz are the eighth seed and win at home in the second round, can they out-bid NDSU for the third round and get a home game or are they stuck going there?

No the bidding process is for the first-round unseeded games only. Moving forward, the only way a seeded team wouldn't host is if they chose not to meet the NCAA requirement to do so.

George Ferguson said:
grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

No the bidding process is for the first-round unseeded games only. Moving forward, the only way a seeded team wouldn't host is if they chose not to meet the NCAA requirement to do so.

Thanks Hooked and George. George what do you mean when you say a team wouldn't meet the "...NCAA requirement to do so"?

grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:

Thanks Hooked and George. George what do you mean when you say a team wouldn't meet the "...NCAA requirement to do so"?
I don't know all the nitty-gritty details. However, as I recall: The NCAA dictates pretty much everything – ticket prices, distribution to the visiting team's fans, housing for the visitor's team, and more. Within that framework, the host school must also guarantee a hefty sum to the NCAA. Because of the NCAA control of the ticket process and game management, the host school does not have much "wiggle room" to spur attendance, arrange special features to increase revenue, and so on. As a general rule, school that don't get a lot of "natural" attendance for their home games lose money hosting a playoff game. And the more games they host, the more money they lose. So some schools have no choice but to say, "Screw it. Send our guys wherever you want."

IdaGriz01 said:
grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
grizpaws said:

I don't know all the nitty-gritty details. However, as I recall: The NCAA dictates pretty much everything – ticket prices, distribution to the visiting team's fans, housing for the visitor's team, and more. Within that framework, the host school must also guarantee a hefty sum to the NCAA. Because of the NCAA control of the ticket process and game management, the host school does not have much "wiggle room" to spur attendance, arrange special features to increase revenue, and so on. As a general rule, school that don't get a lot of "natural" attendance for their home games lose money hosting a playoff game. And the more games they host, the more money they lose. So some schools have no choice but to say, "Screw it. Send our guys wherever you want."

Thanks for the explanation. Isn't the NCAA just a wonderful organization?

Harm said:
My head says the Griz beating Weber is a very tall order. I think it'll be close, but I just dont think our lines are there yet. My heart Hope's for a 30pt blowout, fast 1st quarter start and hammer down on the gas pedal!

If the Griz can start fast... they will run away with this one.

Reminds me of the last time Boise came to Missoula. Everyone thought it would be a tough game and UM put a “Don’t let the door hit you in the ass” 54-28 beat down on the smurf turf ponies

IdaGriz01 said:
grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
grizpaws said:

This is fake news :thumb:

The.Real.2506 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
grizpaws said:
George Ferguson said:
This is fake news :thumb:

Yup, mostly fake news in that poat. Idaho, do some research and redeem yourself.

uofmman1122 said:
Mavman said:
Does Montana get in at 8-4?
Do cats get in if they lose next two games?
Does Davis get in if they win out?
Does EWU get in if they win out at 7-5?
Yes. Every time.
Maybe*
Maybe*
No. Only 6 DI wins.

*These really depend on what happens to the other bubble teams. The bubble is fairly weak, but crowded this season. MSU on a 2-game skid looks bad, and UCD on a 3-game streak looks good. In this situation, I think UCD gets in before MSU, but the Cats may still have a shot.

It would be tough to have MSU in..that would mean they would be coming in having lost 4 of their last 6.....thats ugly.

BozAngelesGriz said:

No it wouldnt

PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:
... This is fake news :thumb:
Yup, mostly fake news in that post. Idaho, do some research and redeem yourself.
About the only “fake” news in that post might be the use of the word “hefty.” I downloaded the relevant NCAA document (it was a bitch to find, as usual, on the NCAA web site). Here’s what it has to say [my bold]:
Minimum Financial Guarantee. In order to be considered by the Division I Football Championship Committee, all prospective host institutions are required to submit a minimum financial guarantee of $30,000 (first-round), $40,000 (second-round), $50,000 (quarterfinals) and $60,000 (semifinals), which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts listed on the online hosting proposal. Once the minimum guarantee is met, the committee will review the other site selection criteria to determine the host.

When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

When preliminary round competition is conducted on campus, the host institution may retain a maximum of 15 percent of the net receipts or receive an honorarium per the provisions of Bylaw 31.4.4 (whichever is greater) in addition to its approved budget. When an institution’s athletics department is required to pay a fee for use of an on-campus facility, such a fee must be deducted from the institution’s 15 percent. Host institutions conducting competition in off-campus facilities may receive a maximum of 10 percent of the net receipts, or an honorarium per the provisions of Bylaw 31.4.4 (whichever is greater).

The host institution must provide all necessary equipment to conduct the competition. No permanent equipment may be purchased for preliminary-round games and charged as a game expense item. The host institution may not assess phone line set-up charges.

The host institution shall be responsible for providing the cabling needed to provide instant replay during all preliminary-rounds of the Division I Football Championship. … Failure to agree to provide the necessary instant replay cabling will likely remove an institution from consideration for hosting.

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will assign an NCAA site representative to each preliminary round game. The host institution shall provide payment for their lodging. NCAA site representative lodging should be budgeted for and included in your proposed budget expenses.
Not saying the rules imposed by the NCAA are unreasonable. But that section goes on for over ten pages. It includes specifications for high-speed internet, ticket blocks for the visiting team, a possible drug testing arrangement (with separate fee paid by the host), liability insurance (host pays), rental vehicles for officials (host pays, and can only use the “Short’s travel Management” company specified by the NCAA), and more.

I must say the NCAA is a bit looser on ticket prices for the first round, where you can sell them for a trivial price ($1 per is okay, according to the NCAA suggestion). You cannot, however, give tickets away for any round. That section says:
During the second, quarterfinal and semifinal-rounds host institutions shall not set ticket prices lower than its regular-season ticket prices.
So if you want to boost attendance for a later round with discount prices … you can’t. I could go on, but if you want more, just download the manual yourself. I reiterate: The only quibble with my rough overview might be with the word “hefty.” But news reports show that a school seldom wins the bid offering just the minimum. Back in 2014, JMU submitted a bid of over $200,000 for a first round game. They had lost out with a lower (but not minimum) bid in a previous year and had to go on the road in the first round. They lost over $130,000 … but they figured that would happen and arranged in advance for “private money” to cover the shortfall.

IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:
Yup, mostly fake news in that post. Idaho, do some research and redeem yourself.
About the only “fake” news in that post might be the use of the word “hefty.” I downloaded the relevant NCAA document (it was a bitch to find, as usual, on the NCAA web site). Here’s what it has to say [my bold]:
Minimum Financial Guarantee. In order to be considered by the Division I Football Championship Committee, all prospective host institutions are required to submit a minimum financial guarantee of $30,000 (first-round), $40,000 (second-round), $50,000 (quarterfinals) and $60,000 (semifinals), which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts listed on the online hosting proposal. Once the minimum guarantee is met, the committee will review the other site selection criteria to determine the host.

When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

When preliminary round competition is conducted on campus, the host institution may retain a maximum of 15 percent of the net receipts or receive an honorarium per the provisions of Bylaw 31.4.4 (whichever is greater) in addition to its approved budget. When an institution’s athletics department is required to pay a fee for use of an on-campus facility, such a fee must be deducted from the institution’s 15 percent. Host institutions conducting competition in off-campus facilities may receive a maximum of 10 percent of the net receipts, or an honorarium per the provisions of Bylaw 31.4.4 (whichever is greater).

The host institution must provide all necessary equipment to conduct the competition. No permanent equipment may be purchased for preliminary-round games and charged as a game expense item. The host institution may not assess phone line set-up charges.

The host institution shall be responsible for providing the cabling needed to provide instant replay during all preliminary-rounds of the Division I Football Championship. … Failure to agree to provide the necessary instant replay cabling will likely remove an institution from consideration for hosting.

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will assign an NCAA site representative to each preliminary round game. The host institution shall provide payment for their lodging. NCAA site representative lodging should be budgeted for and included in your proposed budget expenses.
Not saying the rules imposed by the NCAA are unreasonable. But that section goes on for over ten pages. It includes specifications for high-speed internet, ticket blocks for the visiting team, a possible drug testing arrangement (with separate fee paid by the host), liability insurance (host pays), rental vehicles for officials (host pays, and can only use the “Short’s travel Management” company specified by the NCAA), and more.

I must say the NCAA is a bit looser on ticket prices for the first round, where you can sell them for a trivial price ($1 per is okay, according to the NCAA suggestion). You cannot, however, give tickets away for any round. That section says:
During the second, quarterfinal and semifinal-rounds host institutions shall not set ticket prices lower than its regular-season ticket prices.
So if you want to boost attendance for a later round with discount prices … you can’t. I could go on, but if you want more, just download the manual yourself. I reiterate: The only quibble with my rough overview might be with the word “hefty.” But news reports show that a school seldom wins the bid offering just the minimum. Back in 2014, JMU submitted a bid of over $200,000 for a first round game. They had lost out with a lower (but not minimum) bid in a previous year and had to go on the road in the first round. They lost over $130,000 … but they figured that would happen and arranged in advance for “private money” to cover the shortfall.

Please give us the link

Your bit about minimum guarantee is deceptive, that is referring as I understand it to an amount of tickets sold.
The NCAA sells them for $25-$30, lets use $20, for the semifinal ($60,000) round that is 3000 tickets at $20, not difficult for any team to make, especially for a semifinal game.

The.Real.2506 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:

Please give us the link

Your bit about minimum guarantee is deceptive, that is referring as I understand it to an amount of tickets sold.
The NCAA sells them for $25-$30, lets use $20, for the semifinal ($60,000) round that is 3000 tickets at $20, not difficult for any team to make, especially for a semifinal game.
It effed, Griz playoff tickets end up being 35 and they sell them for 10 at some of the eastern schools because they can’t be lower than the lowest. Don’t get me wrong, If I’m not coaching at a wrestling tournament I’m going, I just feel like they should all be the same price.

The.Real.2506 said:
... Please give us the link

Luckily, PR found a link that can be embedded: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...ll/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

"It's complicated." But, my reading of the manual says that the "minimum financial guarantee" is just that -- nothing to do with tickets, but cash money that goes to the NCAA. But if you go through the manual, you see that is by no means the only cost that the host must pay. And that’s just costs for items required by the NCAA. In the JMU case, they did sell enough tickets -- over 13,000 -- to cover their costs. They lost money because of the guarantee. But that was JMU, which is generally in the top five for home attendance in FCS, averaging almost 21 thousand per game in 2018. That, for example, was triple the average attendance at Maine (another playoff contender).

It is still a fact that host schools can, and often do, lose money hosting a playoff game ... and they are subject to numerous rules imposed by the NCAA. (Not sure what the problem might be here.)

IdaGriz01 said:
The.Real.2506 said:

Luckily, PR found a link that can be embedded: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...ll/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

"It's complicated." But, my reading of the manual says that the "minimum financial guarantee" is just that -- nothing to do with tickets, but cash money that goes to the NCAA. But if you go through the manual, you see that is by no means the only cost that the host must pay. And that’s just costs for items required by the NCAA. In the JMU case, they did sell enough tickets -- over 13,000 -- to cover their costs. They lost money because of the guarantee. But that was JMU, which is generally in the top five for home attendance in FCS, averaging almost 21 thousand per game in 2018. That, for example, was triple the average attendance at Maine (another playoff contender).

It is still a fact that host schools can, and often do, lose money hosting a playoff game ... and they are subject to numerous rules imposed by the NCAA. (Not sure what the problem might be here.)

What other costs does the host pay? I don't think the host pays for anything. The host creates a budget for the NCAA, and I think the ncaa reimburses for the budget.

IdaGriz01 said:
The.Real.2506 said:

Please cite any example of a host losing money.

Teams taking extra people to the finals or any road playoff game can lose money, but that's their choice to take extras not paid for by the ncaa.

The.Real.2506 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:

Please give us the link

For hosted playoff games, the host sells the tickets, not the ncaa.

IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:

You said the ncaa sets the tickets prices. They don't. They require rounds after the first round to be no lower than the lowest regular season price. That's not setting the price.

It took me 3 seconds to find the ncaa link/rules.

PlayerRep said:
... You said the ncaa sets the tickets prices. They don't. They require rounds after the first round to be no lower than the lowest regular season price. That's not setting the price.

It took me 3 seconds to find the ncaa link/rules.
Actually, I did not say that, although I'll admit it can be interpreted that way. What I said was:
However, as I recall: The NCAA dictates pretty much everything – ticket prices, distribution to the visiting team's fans, housing for the visitor's team, and more.
In the overall playoff situation, the NCAA does "dictate" what prices are to be used for tickets after the first round. And they do dictate those other things I pointed out. I was giving a quick answer to a simple question, working from memory. I am soooo sorry (NOT).

And yes, once you know exactly where to look the manual was easy to find. It just happened that the links I have bookmarked took me down the wrong path. Why do you feel the need to end posts with what comes across as a put-down?

Latest posts

Back