• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Hire a new assistant coach

maroonandsilver said:
maroonandsilver said:
moneyball said:
Hi all. There is light at the end of the tunnel. The Lady Griz have hired a new Male assistant coach. They have not officially announced it yet so out of respect for him and his family I will not divulge his name. Let's just say I am excited for the hire. He is a great coach and person!!! The girls could really use some encouragement form a good coach. Just between you, me and the fence post.....When Shannon is let go next year...this new hire will likely get the nod. This might be why they hired him to begin with. Stay tuned!!!!

A friend of mine asked Riley Corcoran about this today. Riley says it is totally false. So who's right, Riley or moneyball? The world wonders...........

Note also: Sonya Stokken, the person this phantom coach is rumored to replace, is still listed as assistant coach on the updated 2019-2020 Lady Griz roster.

Sonya is retiring to spend more time with her family.

TrueGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
moneyball said:
Hi all. There is light at the end of the tunnel. The Lady Griz have hired a new Male assistant coach. They have not officially announced it yet so out of respect for him and his family I will not divulge his name. Let's just say I am excited for the hire. He is a great coach and person!!! The girls could really use some encouragement form a good coach. Just between you, me and the fence post.....When Shannon is let go next year...this new hire will likely get the nod. This might be why they hired him to begin with. Stay tuned!!!!

A friend of mine asked Riley Corcoran about this today. Riley says it is totally false. So who's right, Riley or moneyball? The world wonders...........

Well, moneyball did post 8 players that quit. Technically, that is correct, but one of those players (Rachel Staudacher (sp)) un-quit, re-joined the team, and played her final season after Shannon asked her to come back. So, either Rachel likes to play for an abusive coach or maybe it just wasn't as bad as he is saying it was. Maybe somewhere in-between. Why would a player want to come back and subject herself to all that abuse that moneyball describes?

I thought Rachel S. moved on because she wasn't in the mix for playing time. When that situation changed, she was asked to come back, and she did.

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
moneyball said:

Well, moneyball did post 8 players that quit. Technically, that is correct, but one of those players (Rachel Staudacher (sp)) un-quit, re-joined the team, and played her final season after Shannon asked her to come back. So, either Rachel likes to play for an abusive coach or maybe it just wasn't as bad as he is saying it was. Maybe somewhere in-between. Why would a player want to come back and subject herself to all that abuse that moneyball describes?

I thought Rachel S. moved on because she wasn't in the mix for playing time. When that situation changed, she was asked to come back, and she did.

Maybe that was the case but seems I remembered from either missoulian or gogriz.com, she quit to spend more time in school. I would have to go through a lot of archived stories to find why she quit but I do not feel like it and don't have the time. But, that could all be a lie.

Question: If the Lady Griz win say... 23 games, win both the regular season title and the conference tournament, does Shannon still get fired at the end of the season? Or do calmer heads prevail?

Judging by this thread she is gone regardless.

Gaeilge1 said:
Question: If the Lady Griz win say... 23 games, win both the regular season title and the conference tournament, does Shannon still get fired at the end of the season? Or do calmer heads prevail?

If she does that, I think she stays.

Gaeilge1 said:

It's really no secret that this is a "put up or shut up" year for Shannon as head coach. As the men's team has been rising under Travis, the Lady Griz have been stagnant under Shannon and for a program with a great history prior to her promotion as HC. I will say that one positive under her tutelage is the tempo of the team has picked up and is much faster than during the Selvig years. If she isn't retained after this coming season then I hope whomever her successor may be will maintain a higher tempo attack offensively and defensively.

If the rumored hire does in fact happen, this is a good hire.

The issues within the program, much like that of the football program aren't binary choices. As in if one event happens, it must be because of something else. I would suggest that like the football program there are chronic issues that hiring a good coach can overcome, and others might take more time.

I am a big advocate of tempo but if you can't be efficient both offensively and defensively, it doesn't matter. One of my functional complaints is this team has been abjectly terrible over the past three years in offensive efficiency and only moderately better defensively. That may be injury related, but some of it isn't.

This team over the past three years hasn't been the most athletic team and have been broken down by injuries that can't be argued away by bad luck. They have played a host of teams that blow the doors off them athletically and in the third and fourth quarters. I think there are some reasons that have been alluded to here over the past few months, and I don't think those types of issues are easily resolved. To me that isn't talent, but larger issues that might extend well beyond simply who isn't on the floor.

Just as Bobby found last year, chronic issues don't disappear with a coaching philosophy change. Some of the issues stem from 3-5-10 year philosophies that have put the womens program at a clear disadvantage. The coaching hire might help culture and game management, there are just a few things that you won't see over the short-term.

Rumor has it Nate Covill. But will wait to hear from someone else that knows everything about everything to confirm if there is any evidence.

https://twitter.com/CovillNathan/status/1158756531921391616

Here’s his recent bio from coaching:

https://www.wubearcats.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/covill?view=bio

maroonandsilver said:
fanofzoo said:
Old age strikes, I can't remember much about him.

I guess you missed the game where he broke the backboard.
Against Idaho State as I very vaguely recall! It happened only a few feet from where I was sitting and the clean up and backboard replacement seemed to take forever. The Griz won! :)

GrizWhiz said:
maroonandsilver said:
fanofzoo said:
Old age strikes, I can't remember much about him.

I guess you missed the game where he broke the backboard.
Against Idaho State as I very vaguely recall! It happened only a few feet from where I was sitting and the clean up and backboard replacement seemed to take forever. The Griz won! :)

You are right, I remember the long time for the installation of the new backboard just as well as Nate's dunk. In the Griz game before, the Arizona Gorilla performed and made some monster slams. I have always suspected that the Gorilla made the initial cracks in the backboard that weekend the board for Nate's heroics.

I heard he has two stud daughters who play hoops and are tall. Are they high schoolers? Guessing one of the local high school coaches just hit the jackpot if so.

HookedonGriz said:
I heard he has two stud daughters who play hoops and are tall. Are they high schoolers? Guessing one of the local high school coaches just hit the jackpot if so.

Covill has two daughters, the oldest of whom played on the West Salem H. S. (16-11) team this season. Both played for the Salem Oregon Elite AAU basketball club this summer. (It appears that Covill coached one of the teams.)

• Austynn Covill, a 6-1 junior SF, class of 2021.
• Alex Covill, a 6-3 SF incoming freshman, class of 2023.

[media]https://twitter.com/CovillNathan/status/1148429509986672640[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

Covill has two daughters, the oldest of whom played on the West Salem H. S. (16-11) team this season. Both played for the Salem Oregon Elite AAU basketball club this summer. (It appears that Covill coached one of the teams.)

• Austynn Covill, a 6-1 junior SF, class of 2021.
• Alex Covill, a 6-3 SF incoming freshman, class of 2023.

[media]https://twitter.com/CovillNathan/status/1148429509986672640[/media]
Team his girls with Mya, that would have some great potential.

Back