• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Satterwhite leaves Griz Hoops

Very interesting. Since he is a senior grad transfer, does he even have any other options at this point. Safe to assume he screwed up or got in trouble? Not sure why else he’d leave after playing a good amount those first 2 games

How did this guy earn a starting position in the first two games this year? I'll take Vasquez all day long.

My guess is that Cam came to UM thinking (with good reason, he would be the guy at guard). After his initial two bad games, Travis informed him he would come off the bench in game 3. Cam didn't take it well, and things went downhill from there.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Brown right behind him....non-existent except when playing HS teams...

AZGrizFan said:
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Brown right behind him....non-existent except when playing HS teams...

You mean the walk-on that is behind Vazquez, Whitney, Beasley, Egun, and Parker?

AZGrizFan said:

Brown knows his role and that there is not a path to significant playing time. He is a very good student and wants to finish his career at Montana and get his degree. This is what I was told.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:

Brown knows his role and that there is not a path to significant playing time. He is a very good student and wants to finish his career at Montana and get his degree. This is what I was told.

Seems like a great kid, a great student, a great rep of Griz hoops on and off the court....I’ll take that!

HookedonGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:

Seems like a great kid, a great student, a great rep of Griz hoops on and off the court....I’ll take that!

As will I.....just a rarity in this day and age of me me me transfers at the drop of a hat.

Mousegriz said:
How did this guy earn a starting position in the first two games this year? I'll take Vasquez all day long.

He didn't start the first game, but started the 2d half of first game and next game. Again, I agree with you.

While Satterwhite might have been a good player, and perhaps a starter (in part due to his extra size), I never saw him as anything special. Especially compared to what we already had. Never understood why so many on the board were so infatuated with him. It will be interesting to learn what the problem was.

maroonandsilver said:
And then there's Mack Anderson. Very little playing time so far this season, and none in the UW game.

HIs lack of playing time concerns me. I have always liked him and his potential.

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
And then there's Mack Anderson. Very little playing time so far this season, and none in the UW game.

HIs lack of playing time concerns me. I have always liked him and his potential.

Mack continues to have the same issues: fouls and protecting the basketball.

AZGrizFan said:

I think he full well knows he's the end of the bench guy, and is ok with that and probably contributes more to the team during practice, sort of a scout team guy

Doesn't this come the day after NCAA announces no waiver period for Transfers so he may have had something in the works and ready to go for a while if he was sensing this not being a good fit for him and was just waiting for NCAA to makes its ruling

Does this (with the NCAA's rule change for transfers) mean he can head back to NAU now? The Jacks need all the help they can get at the moment. It's gonna be a long season in Flagstaff for NAU mens hoops.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

Mack continues to have the same issues: fouls and protecting the basketball.

I am not dis-agreeing that Mack isn't a complete player,but it seems we have completely given up on him.He seemed to have potential when he was younger, but seems to have been completely written off. He didn't even get much of a chance versus the inferior opponents.

Speaking of Mack Anderson and I can only quote from my own observations and nothing more. Mack developed late in his growth and bb I believe between his sophomore and junior years in Bozeman he grew from 6’4” to 6’9” in a few short months. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but this is what I remember. He went from playing in a small forward slot to one of the taller juniors in Montana AA basketball. His was not a transition that was smooth from facing the basket to playing with his back to the basket. His success quite frankly was more based on his height than his skill level. And in no way is this a knock on Mack. He is a super young man who gives his all to the bb program but his skill level is not up to what is needed at his position. He does have good ability in shoot blocking but his offensive skills are limited and he does tend to get into foul trouble because his feet don’t move as quickly as they should. Again, just my observation. Having said all that not everyone can be a starter as much as we’d like to see another Tinkle (W) or Krysko that’s just not Mack. He’s an excellent student and works very hard at his game. But truth be told he makes the Griz a better team because of his work effort on the court.

Sport said:
Speaking of Mack Anderson and I can only quote from my own observations and nothing more. Mack developed late in his growth and bb I believe between his sophomore and junior years in Bozeman he grew from 6’4” to 6’9” in a few short months. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but this is what I remember. He went from playing in a small forward slot to one of the taller juniors in Montana AA basketball. His was not a transition that was smooth from facing the basket to playing with his back to the basket. His success quite frankly was more based on his height than his skill level. And in no way is this a knock on Mack. He is a super young man who gives his all to the bb program but his skill level is not up to what is needed at his position. He does have good ability in shoot blocking but his offensive skills are limited and he does tend to get into foul trouble because his feet don’t move as quickly as they should. Again, just my observation. Having said all that not everyone can be a starter as much as we’d like to see another Tinkle (W) or Krysko that’s just not Mack. He’s an excellent student and works very hard at his game. But truth be told he makes the Griz a better team because of his work effort on the court.

Not that long ago, a few folks on this forum were suggesting that Anderson could/should take a redshirt this year with Steadman presumably the starter. Given that none of the players are losing any eligibility in 2020-21, isn't this that opportunity for Anderson et. al., to get practice (and game!) reps that'll help him and them gel as a team and for each to build their respective skills and confidence? I know it sucks to see Mack on the bench but isn't this effectively that redshirt year without the loss of on-court opportunities?

Sport said:

I think this is fair assessment of where he is. He doesn't have great hands, but even with his limitations on O he should be able to contribute at times with his rim protection and rebounding if he can stay away from the cheap fouls.

Back