• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer will be hired as Griz defensive coordinator

CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
Never mind that it showed no signs of rebuilding at all and was in fact regressing after three years. The only mistake I have seen Haslam make was hiring him and it was a big one. Big job for BH to bail us out of this mess.

Well if you're referring to me guy, I was not vocally anti-Stitt. So if you're going to criticize, then be specific.

I stand by my comment.
Huh? My response was to the idiot MiningCityGrizFan. Had nothing to do with you. Read a little more carefully.

Duplicate

CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
Never mind that it showed no signs of rebuilding at all and was in fact regressing after three years. The only mistake I have seen Haslam make was hiring him and it was a big one. Big job for BH to bail us out of this mess.

Well if you're referring to me guy, I was not vocally anti-Stitt. So if you're going to criticize, then be specific.

I stand by my comment.
Huh? My response was to the idiot MiningCityGrizFan. Had nothing to do with you. Read a little more carefully.

Maybe it's you you who should trade in your readers for a new set, pops. I was addressing the guy who was addressing me.
Then why in the hell, son, did you respond to my post??

Sounds to me like PR is the only one here who has researched anything on KB and what he’s come up with seems decent to me. Most of what’s going on here is people’s knee jerk reactions to things they really don’t know anything about and it seems to be coming from the Stitt supporters. I supported Stitt to the bloody end but now it’s time to move on and give the new group a chance. This isn’t politics and we aren’t dem’s and repub’s. It’s Griz football and we should at least give these guys a look before we’re putting for sale signs in their yards. They’ve barely stepped off the plane for f**ks sake.

KB was only dismissed from two jobs and did fairly good work at most every other stop he’s been at. Lord you people are crazy.

kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:

I stand by my comment.

Maybe it's you you who should trade in your readers for a new set, pops. I was addressing the guy who was addressing me.
Then why in the hell, son, did you respond to my post??

The quote function doesn't always render the desired effect. All good here Kem! :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Experienced and solid placeholder until Tim H. returns. Looks like a nice pick to me.

GG, what were your views on Stitt and Semore?

I wonder if any FCS school has ever assembled a coaching staff with more high level FBS experience.

+1
If Bobby feels like he's the best option, I trust that that's the case, and so should anyone who claims to be a supporter. You don't know more than BH does about what's available, and who will be the best fit overall. If it doesn't work out, adjustments will be made early and often. Always amazes me how people think they know better than the pro that's making the call. He has his reasons.

Just get behind it and trust...

Just get behind it and trust?

Where was that attitude the last couple of years?!

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process? Who believed they knew more than some D2 coach? The ones who actively worked against Stitt? The guys with an agenda who worked to make Stitt’s already difficult job even more difficult? People like Colter? The guy who used Skyline Sports and his exposure on radio to stir up the pro-Hauck/anti-Stitt cult on a daily basis?

Remember them? Because I do...

I’m not going to be petty or make personal attacks on Hauck like I’ve seen and heard the last year, but I sure as heck am not going to give him anymore slack or patience than the so called “best fans in the FCS” gave to Stitt.

From what I know, and I’m absolutely not an insider, Hauck is good man from a good family. He’s a very talented coach, but I don’t think he earned the right to lead this team.

He was basically installed by the politically connected guys sitting in the boxes and writing checks to Haslam. The entire interview process was nothing more than a charade, starting with the press conference where Haslam announced Stitt was not being brought back. Completely disingenuous and phony.

The last couple months have disappointed and disgusted me as an alumni and diehard Griz fan. And so going forward, I’m going to extend to Hauck the same amount of patience and professional understanding that was shown to Coach Stitt and his staff.

No excuses. No time to rebuild or mold the team and staff. The Griz must beat the Cats, win the conference, and make the playoffs every year or he needs to go. No time to rebuild. No injuries can be taken into consideration. This is Griz Nation. Win now or else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case anyone cares about the facts.

Stitt was given 3 years at UM. My view is that there really wasn't any "rebuilding" to do. UM was still strong when Stitt came, coming off of 2 seasons of beating Cats and making playoffs and being ranked, at nos.12 and 8 in the final polls. Looking at the last 2 season records, including no playoffs and losses to Cats, there is probably more rebuilding to be done now than when Sittt arrived.

What did Colter do? I must have missed that. Please explain.

What has "disgusted" you in the last couple months? Please explain.

A 3d year coach loses to Cats again and doesn't make playoffs again. The AD, who is faced with deciding what to do with a coach at the end of his contract and with input with big boosters, decides to make a change. The AD, again with input from some boosters, then hires one of the most successful coaches UM has ever had, if not the most successful, who is interested in returning to Montana. The process moves along fairly quickly, in part to get the coach and some assistants in place ahead of the early signing period. Almost no committed recruits are lost. Some non-committed and new recruits sign. A strong coaching staff is put in place. Much of Griz Nation is very excited. I don't understand what is "disgusting" about that.

Sorry, but your last paragraph is just plain ridiculous. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but so am I.
Well thanks for allowing me to have an opinion! And implying that I didn’t think you should have one...

Regarding the final paragraph, it’s absolutely ridiculous. That’s the point.

It’s the same ridiculous measuring stick that arrogant, self-important people like you used to beat Stitt over the head with from the moment he was hired over Hauck three years ago and to undermine him whenever things didn’t go well.

To be fair, I don’t know you. I’ve never met you, that I know of. I’m sure you’re a perfectly nice person in the real world, but when I read your comments I almost always end up saying or thinking to myself, “What kind of pathetic person claims to represent the Griz players?... This guy might be the most arrogant SOB on here... What kind of deranged loser has to chime in and attempt to correct people on a discussion board. Every. Single. Time...”

Your last reply is an absolutely perfect example. You repeatedly assert that “in your view” there really wasn’t any rebuilding going on. I fact you deny it was even necessary...

That statement alone undermines your credibility with me. It demonstrates that you are severely lacking objectivity...

The Griz haven’t had multiple playoff wins in a season since 2011 (and to the person who inevitably replies to clarify that the NCAA vacated those 2011 wins - piss off).

Another fun fact, the Griz have yet to get beyond the second round of the FCS playoffs since it was expanded to 24 teams.

Had it still been a 16-team playoff, it’s very likely that 2013 would have been the only playoff appearance the Griz would have had since 2011.

And that was the year they were humiliated by Coastal Carolina. A team making their first FCS playoff run. First time playing west of the Mississippi. First time playing in below freezing temperatures.

And with the Griz having three future professional linebackers playing for them that day.

It also happened to be Grergorak’s first year as a DC. Everyone seems to forget that for some reason now that say they want him back. Giving Semore time to gain experience and learn from his mistakes is too crazy to fathom for the geniuses here, but I digress.

The point is that whether you want to acknowledge it or not doesn’t mean a damn thing. There unquestionably was a need to rebuild the program.

Not because it was a losing program, but because it was stuck being pretty good program. It was complacent. Satisfied with beating the weak Bozeman teams more often than not, hosting a first round playoff game, and then losing on the road in the second round.

You know who wasn’t satisfied with that?

Bob Stitt.

He realized after his first season that the outcome of the 2015 was the ceiling for the program at that point in time.

He also realized that Gregorak, along with certain former players and influential donors were actively working against what he was trying to do. That’s what all the talk of a divided locker room was about. Honestly I don’t think it was fully unified locker room until this season. There was still division in 2016 and that’s why that team imploded in the second half of the season.

That’s what I appreciated about Stitt. He wasn’t a legacy Griz blinded by the amazing history of the program. He wasn’t stuck in the Montana football echo chamber full of people living in the past.

Stitt knew fundamental changes were necessary to begin competing with NDSUs and JMUs of the FCS world. And that was the rebuilding process he started after the 2015 season.

If you can compare the roster and staff from 2015 and 2106 and then attempt to argue that there wasn’t a rebuilding process in place, then there really isn’t anything more to be say to you because you’re delusional.

The 2016 team was a difficult season. No question about it. But the 2017 team was drastically better. Mentally they were much much stronger despite being much much younger. I was disappointed as anyone walking out of stadium in Bozeman, but I was beyond excited for next year.

There was another amazing recruiting class on the way in. The QB, who has since decommitted, was very impressive. The current class of redshirts would begin contributing along with the freshman and sophomores who saw significant time in 2017. The future was looking bright, then the program was turned upside down. By people who, at least to me, appear to be stuck in the past...

As far as Colter goes, it was his persistent negativity towards Stitt. I talked about it on this board the week leading up to NAU when he arrogantly trashes Stitt for not revealing his game plan during his weekly presser. Colter walked it back and “ate crow” the next week apparently, but he was back to trashing Stitt during Cat week.

I didn’t completely understand his blatant bias until Hauck’s first press conference. When Hauck addressed Colter like an old friend. It was pretty clear to me that he wasn’t covering the Griz as an unbiased journalist. He was actively using his platform on his website and radio to advocate against Stitt. And it worked.

Finally—what was disgusting is not the innocent fairytale you described. It was the shady politicking that was summarized quite nicely here:

http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/36948119/follow-the-money-who-is-influencing-ums-coach-hiring-decision

uofmman1122 said:
Grisly Fan said:
Had BH hired Wade Phillips as DC, posters here would be complaining that he had .562 career winning record as an HC, never won a post season game, coached on 8 different teams, and is too old to relate to 20 year olds yet he steps in and turns the Rams into statistically one of the best defenses in the NFL, helping them win the NFC West for the first time since 2003. Often success is predicated on situation. Will this be that for Baer? Regardless of what anyone posts here, we'll have a chance to find out. And for the sake of the Griz, let's hope so.
I’m not sure that’s the same case here. We’re not just looking for anything to be negative about (although it is really funny that the people who we said were looking for anything negative about Stitt are now blindly defending everything about Hauck, but whatever).

Maybe I’m the only one, as the hyperbole still seems pretty strong on both sides, but when I say I’m concerned about Baer, I’m not saying “holy shit, we’re going to be the worst defense ever in the BSC”, I’m literally just saying that while I support the head coach, this hire has me more worried than I was before he got hired.

I do, though, have to take AZ’s side here a little bit. The 180 by a lot of the people that hated on Stitt that’s turned into pretty blind optimism for Hauck is curious.
Yes. Curious indeed.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
+1
If Bobby feels like he's the best option, I trust that that's the case, and so should anyone who claims to be a supporter. You don't know more than BH does about what's available, and who will be the best fit overall. If it doesn't work out, adjustments will be made early and often. Always amazes me how people think they know better than the pro that's making the call. He has his reasons.

Just get behind it and trust...

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process? Who believed they knew more than some D2 coach? The ones who actively worked against Stitt? The guys with an agenda who worked to make Stitt’s already difficult job even more difficult? People like Colter? The guy who used Skyline Sports and his exposure on radio to stir up the pro-Hauck/anti-Stitt cult on a daily basis?

I’m not going to be petty or make personal attacks on Hauck like I’ve seen and heard the last year, but I sure as heck am not going to give him anymore slack or patience than the so called “best fans in the FCS” gave to Stitt.

From what I know, and I’m absolutely not an insider, Hauck is good man from a good family. He’s a very talented coach, but I don’t think he earned the right to lead this team.

He was basically installed by the politically connected guys sitting in the boxes and writing checks to Haslam. The entire interview process was nothing more than a charade, starting with the press conference where Haslam announced Stitt was not being brought back. Completely disingenuous and phony.

The last couple months have disappointed and disgusted me as an alumni and diehard Griz fan. And so going forward, I’m going to extend to Hauck the same amount of patience and professional understanding that was shown to Coach Stitt and his staff.

No excuses. No time to rebuild or mold the team and staff. The Griz must beat the Cats, win the conference, and make the playoffs every year or he needs to go. No time to rebuild. No injuries can be taken into consideration. This is Griz Nation. Win now or else.

Stitt was given 3 years at UM. My view is that there really wasn't any "rebuilding" to do. UM was still strong when Stitt came, coming off of 2 seasons of beating Cats and making playoffs and being ranked, at nos.12 and 8 in the final polls. Looking at the last 2 season records, including no playoffs and losses to Cats, there is probably more rebuilding to be done now than when Sittt arrived.

A 3d year coach loses to Cats again and doesn't make playoffs again. The AD, who is faced with deciding what to do with a coach at the end of his contract and with input with big boosters, decides to make a change. The AD, again with input from some boosters, then hires one of the most successful coaches UM has ever had, if not the most successful, who is interested in returning to Montana. The process moves along fairly quickly, in part to get the coach and some assistants in place ahead of the early signing period. Almost no committed recruits are lost. Some non-committed and new recruits sign. A strong coaching staff is put in place. Much of Griz Nation is very excited. I don't understand what is "disgusting" about that.

Sorry, but your last paragraph is just plain ridiculous. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but so am I.
Well thanks for allowing me to have an opinion! And implying that I didn’t think you should have one...

It’s the same ridiculous measuring stick that arrogant, self-important people like you used to beat Stitt over the head with from the moment he was hired over Hauck three years ago and to undermine him whenever things didn’t go well.

To be fair, I don’t know you. I’ve never met you, that I know of. I’m sure you’re a perfectly nice person in the real world, but when I read your comments I almost always end up saying or thinking to myself, “What kind of pathetic person claims to represent the Griz players?... This guy might be the most arrogant SOB on here... What kind of deranged loser has to chime in and attempt to correct people on a discussion board. Every. Single. Time...”

Your last reply is an absolutely perfect example. You repeatedly assert that “in your view” there really wasn’t any rebuilding going on. I fact you deny it was even necessary...

That statement alone undermines your credibility with me. It demonstrates that you are severely lacking objectivity...

The Griz haven’t had multiple playoff wins in a season since 2011 (and to the person who inevitably replies to clarify that the NCAA vacated those 2011 wins - piss off).

Another fun fact, the Griz have yet to get beyond the second round of the FCS playoffs since it was expanded to 24 teams.

Had it still been a 16-team playoff, it’s very likely that 2013 would have been the only playoff appearance the Griz would have had since 2011.

And that was the year they were humiliated by Coastal Carolina. A team making their first FCS playoff run. First time playing west of the Mississippi. First time playing in below freezing temperatures.

And with the Griz having three future professional linebackers playing for them that day.

It also happened to be Grergorak’s first year as a DC. Everyone seems to forget that for some reason now that say they want him back. Giving Semore time to gain experience and learn from his mistakes is too crazy to fathom for the geniuses here, but I digress.

The point is that whether you want to acknowledge it or not doesn’t mean a damn thing. There unquestionably was a need to rebuild the program.

Not because it was a losing program, but because it was stuck being pretty good program. It was complacent. Satisfied with beating the weak Bozeman teams more often than not, hosting a first round playoff game, and then losing on the road in the second round.

Bob Stitt.

He realized after his first season that the outcome of the 2015 was the ceiling for the program at that point in time.

He also realized that Gregorak, along with certain former players and influential donors were actively working against what he was trying to do. That’s what all the talk of a divided locker room was about. Honestly I don’t think it was fully unified locker room until this season. There was still division in 2016 and that’s why that team imploded in the second half of the season.

That’s what I appreciated about Stitt. He wasn’t a legacy Griz blinded by the amazing history of the program. He wasn’t stuck in the Montana football echo chamber full of people living in the past.

Stitt knew fundamental changes were necessary to begin competing with NDSUs and JMUs of the FCS world. And that was the rebuilding process he started after the 2015 season.

If you can compare the roster and staff from 2015 and 2106 and then attempt to argue that there wasn’t a rebuilding process in place, then there really isn’t anything more to be say to you because you’re delusional.

The 2016 team was a difficult season. No question about it. But the 2017 team was drastically better. Mentally they were much much stronger despite being much much younger. I was disappointed as anyone walking out of stadium in Bozeman, but I was beyond excited for next year.

There was another amazing recruiting class on the way in. The QB, who has since decommitted, was very impressive. The current class of redshirts would begin contributing along with the freshman and sophomores who saw significant time in 2017. The future was looking bright, then the program was turned upside down. By people who, at least to me, appear to be stuck in the past...

As far as Colter goes, it was his persistent negativity towards Stitt. I talked about it on this board the week leading up to NAU when he arrogantly trashes Stitt for not revealing his game plan during his weekly presser. Colter walked it back and “ate crow” the next week apparently, but he was back to trashing Stitt during Cat week.

I didn’t completely understand his blatant bias until Hauck’s first press conference. When Hauck addressed Colter like an old friend. It was pretty clear to me that he wasn’t covering the Griz as an unbiased journalist. He was actively using his platform on his website and radio to advocate against Stitt. And it worked.

Finally—what was disgusting is not the innocent fairytale you described. It was the shady politicking that was summarized quite nicely here:

http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/36948119/follow-the-money-who-is-influencing-ums-coach-hiring-decision

This post of yours is mostly ridiculous too.

First, I supported Stitt and never "beat him over the head".

Yes, I generally support players and sometimes coaches. I'm not a jerk like you who trashes players and others associated with Griz athletics on the internet.

UM, which finished nos. 12 and 8 in the final polls, beat the Cats and went to the playoffs in the 2 years prior to Stitt, did not need "rebuilding". It just didn't. Improvement, yes. Rebuilding, no.

UM was not "humiliated" by Coastal. UM lost by 1 TD to a very good Coastal team that played its best game the season (according to my friend and former teammate, who was their team doctor and at the game).

Your analysis of Stitt makes me laugh. I don't think a lot of egriz posters agree with you on that, and apparently Haslam didn't either.

I don't agree that 2017 was "drastically better" than 2016. Very similar, in my view. UM didn't finish those season in even the top 25 in the polls those years, probably not top 30, I don't think. Didn't check it, tho. Is that your idea of rebuilding Dropping 20 slots in the final polls.

The locker room was not united, at least on Stitt, this year either. Multiple seniors and juniors didn't like Stitt, and eventually told Haslam that.

Again, I don't recall Colter trashing Stitt, and I certainly don't believe your assertions. Feel free to provide some quotes/links.

You admit that you aren't an "insider", yet you think you know what went on with Stitt's firing and Hauck's hiring. And you know it's "shady". Sorry, but you are really out to lunch on this one.

If you really are a Griz fan, UM doesn't need "fans" like you.

Post by PlayerRep » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Got to echo support for PR on this one. He was never a Stitt hater and was, in my opinion, fairly objective in his Stitt related posts. He was willing to support Stitt in most cases but didn't let some of the more egregious stuff go without stating, generally, a fact based approach to his objections. Since I admittedly didn't like Stitt (I didn't hate him) this was sometimes frustrating but again, when I look back, he was objective. And a lot of the Stitt bashing on this forum didn't come until after the 2016 season when opinion certainly did take a turn for the worse. And I have to totally agree with him that I saw few reasons to consider Stitt's time as head coach as a rebuild, some would call it a regress, and one more win in 2017 does not reinforce the opinion that he was about to turn the corner.

Let's let this play out and see if Hauck, who is HEAD coach, can build a defense that can rival those at NDSU and JMU. It certainly wasn't going to happen if Haslem retained the status quo.

sdk.catfish said:
Post by PlayerRep » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Got to echo support for PR on this one. He was never a Stitt hater and was, in my opinion, fairly objective in his Stitt related posts. He was willing to support Stitt in most cases but didn't let some of the more egregious stuff go without stating, generally, a fact based approach to his objections. Since I admittedly didn't like Stitt (I didn't hate him) this was sometimes frustrating but again, when I look back, he was objective. And a lot of the Stitt bashing on this forum didn't come until after the 2016 season when opinion certainly did take a turn for the worse. And I have to totally agree with him that I saw few reasons to consider Stitt's time as head coach as a rebuild, some would call it a regress, and one more win in 2017 does not reinforce the opinion that he was about to turn the corner.

Let's let this play out and see if Hauck, who is HEAD coach, can build a defense that can rival those at NDSU and JMU. It certainly wasn't going to happen if Haslem retained the status quo.

Thx, Sdk. I didn't realize you were watching. Ha. You summarized my Stitt posts well. I knew more negative stuff on Stitt all along, but usually chose not to post it, in large part because I knew Stitt and his assistants and liked him. But at times, I also didn't give him a pass either. I said I understood the views of the Stitt naysayers, as time went on. I also said before the Cat game that it would not be Haslam's decision, alone, to decide on extension if the Cats won (I didn't think they would). I knew there would be huge pressure against an extension. And, I thought Hauck should have been hired 3 years ago too, and thought, and knew by the Monday morning after the Cat loss, that Hauck would likely be hired..

Mining, just sit back, relax and watch Bobby Hauck win football games and accept that Stitt is gone. Thank goodness!

PlayerRep said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

Bob Stitt.

Yes, I generally support players and sometimes coaches. I'm not a jerk like you who trashes players and others associated with Griz athletics on the internet.

UM, which finished nos. 12 and 8 in the final polls, beat the Cats and went to the playoffs in the 2 years prior to Stitt, did not need "rebuilding". It just didn't. Improvement, yes. Rebuilding, no.

UM was not "humiliated" by Coastal. UM lost by 1 TD to a very good Coastal team that played its best game the season (according to my friend and former teammate, who was their team doctor and at the game).

Your analysis of Stitt makes me laugh. I don't think a lot of egriz posters agree with you on that, and apparently Haslam didn't either.

I don't agree that 2017 was "drastically better" than 2016. Very similar, in my view. UM didn't finish those season in even the top 25 in the polls those years, probably not top 30, I don't think. Didn't check it, tho. Is that your idea of rebuilding Dropping 20 slots in the final polls.

The locker room was not united, at least on Stitt, this year either. Multiple seniors and juniors didn't like Stitt, and eventually told Haslam that.

Again, I don't recall Colter trashing Stitt, and I certainly don't believe your assertions. Feel free to provide some quotes/links.

You admit that you aren't an "insider", yet you think you know what went on with Stitt's firing and Hauck's hiring. And you know it's "shady". Sorry, but you are really out to lunch on this one.

Who the hell are you to declare who is and isn’t worthy of a being a Griz fan?!

But thanks for yet another example of what a pretentious narcissist you are with yet another anecdote where you’re privy to an unsubstantiated comment from an unverified third-party who supposedly had insider information and whose alleged comments negates my opinion.

Classic PR move.

My favorite example though is still how you jumped on the thread about Reece’s injury to tell everyone all about the time YOU injured YOUR foot in New York or wherever. Even then, while people were posting words of support and encouragement for Reece, you couldn’t resist trying make it about you.

Talk about being a jerk!

I’d insert a jerk store reference here, but I’m sure it’d go over your head. Then you’d have to call one of your kids and come back here with another blah blah blah post that is actually just another chance for you to tell everyone that your kids are attorneys or whatever back east...

I swear, if Amazon Echo Silver Edition was an actual product, I’d buy one for every room of your house just to keep you off egriz. The “uh-huh” feature would be perfect for you.

And for the record I haven’t trashed any players or coaches here. I’m trashing you and the arrogant elitist fans like you for being such blatant hypocrites.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
Grisly Fan said:
Had BH hired Wade Phillips as DC, posters here would be complaining that he had .562 career winning record as an HC, never won a post season game, coached on 8 different teams, and is too old to relate to 20 year olds yet he steps in and turns the Rams into statistically one of the best defenses in the NFL, helping them win the NFC West for the first time since 2003. Often success is predicated on situation. Will this be that for Baer? Regardless of what anyone posts here, we'll have a chance to find out. And for the sake of the Griz, let's hope so.
I’m not sure that’s the same case here. We’re not just looking for anything to be negative about (although it is really funny that the people who we said were looking for anything negative about Stitt are now blindly defending everything about Hauck, but whatever).

Maybe I’m the only one, as the hyperbole still seems pretty strong on both sides, but when I say I’m concerned about Baer, I’m not saying “holy shit, we’re going to be the worst defense ever in the BSC”, I’m literally just saying that while I support the head coach, this hire has me more worried than I was before he got hired.

I do, though, have to take AZ’s side here a little bit. The 180 by a lot of the people that hated on Stitt that’s turned into pretty blind optimism for Hauck is curious.

You don't think there was a lot of blind optimism when Stitt was hired and early on? Some, like AZ, were blind to the bitter end.

Hauck has tons of coaching experience at UM and in FBS, and had a great record here, so the optimism is hardly "blind". It is well-founded, in my view.

Hauck selects a DC who has been the DC at 5 Pac-12 teams and at Notre Dame, and some of you think he has forgotten how to coach because he has also been moved on by a few head coaches/schools. One of those moving him on had hired him at Notre Dame, Stanford and UW. Another is a former high school coach struggling to keep his own job.

If you thought I was blind to the bitter end, you weren’t reading very carefully. But don’t let facts get in the way of your rant.

PlayerRep said:
Here's some of the coaching resume of the guy that AZGriz says has failed everywhere he's been:

"A long-time member of Tyrone Willingham's coaching staff, the 2007 season marked the 13th year Kent Baer worked for the Husky head coach and his third at Washington. UW is the third Pac-10 school where Baer has served as a defensive coordinator.

A coach who insists on sound fundamentals and an aggressive attitude on defense, Baer coached with Willingham for three years at Notre Dame and was a member of his staff for seven years at Stanford. Baer served as the Fighting Irish head coach during the 2004 Insight Bowl following Willingham's dismissal.

In 2004 Baer's Irish defense ranked third in the nation against the run (88.2 yards per game) and allowed five rushing TDs during the regular season. The 2003 Irish defense ranked 33rd nationally in total defense and was 29th in the nation against the rush, surrendering only 127.2 yards per game. In Baer's first season at Notre Dame, the 2002 Irish finished ninth in scoring defense (16.69), 10th in the nation in pass efficiency (98.24) and rushing defense (95.23), and 13th in total defense (300.00).

In 2002 Baer was named a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach, for the first time in his career.

Baer, who also coached the linebackers while at Stanford, came to the Cardinal in 1995 after serving as a defensive coordinator for 12 seasons at Arizona State, California and Utah State. In 2001, Baer's Cardinal defense led the Pac-10 in rushing defense for only the second time in school history. The Cardinal only gave up 109.6 yards per game on the ground that season.

While at Stanford, Baer coached some of the finest defensive players in school history, including Riall Johnson and Willie Howard. Johnson, an outside linebacker, became the first player in Pac-10 history to lead the league in sacks in back-to-back seasons (1999-2000), while Howard, a defensive end, became only the fourth defensive lineman in school history to earn first-team all-Pac-10 honors in consecutive seasons.

Baer was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Arizona State for three seasons (1992-94) prior to coming to Stanford. He has coached at California (1987-91), Idaho (1986), Utah State (1977-85) and with the Yokosuka Seahawks (a United States Navy team) from 1973-76. His 1992 Sun Devils defense allowed just 268.8 yards per game and was ranked seventh in the nation. All-Americans Shante Carver, Craig Newsome and Brett Wallerstedt were all mainstays on Baer's Arizona State defense.

Prior to Arizona State, Baer was Cal's defensive coordinator for five seasons. He was part of a staff that led the Bears to a 17-6-1 record in 1990-91 with victories in the Copper Bowl (1990) and Citrus Bowl (1991). Baer helped lead Cal to a 10-2 record and a No. 8 national ranking in 1991.

In his one season at Idaho, Baer was the defensive coordinator for a Vandals team that went 8-4 and earned a berth in the NCAA Division 1-AA playoffs.

At Utah State, Baer coached outside linebackers for six seasons (1977-82) before becoming the defensive coordinator and secondary coach for three years (1983-85). In two of his three years as defensive coordinator, the Aggies led the conference in total defense."

http://www.gohuskies.com/news/2013/4/18/208223975.aspx

"On April 14, 2008, Baer became defensive coordinator at San Jose State under Dick Tomey.[7]

On December 11, 2012, Baer became interim head coach of San Jose State after Mike MacIntyre resigned to become head coach at Colorado. Baer coached the Spartans to a 29-20 victory over Bowling Green University in the 2012 Military Bowl on December 27. MacIntyre announced on December 18 that he would like Baer to join him in Colorado as defensive coordinator.[8] With five other former San Jose State assistants, Baer joined MacIntyre in Colorado on January 3, 2013.[9]

First year head coach Tony Sanchez completed his staff at UNLV when Baer joined on December 22, 2014 as his defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.[10] Following the 2017 football season, Baer was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at UNLV,"

Wiki.

"Baer and LaRussa were among Sanchez’s first hires when he took the job in December 2014. The Rebels gave up 38.5 points and 513.5 yards per game the season before they arrived from Colorado, and this past season the numbers were down to 31.8 and 458.7."

Also from wiki, which you conveniently edited out:
On January 3, 2005, after Willingham became head coach at Washington, Baer joined Willingham's staff as defensive coordinator.[6] At the conclusion of the 2007 season, after a statistically worst defensive season in UW football history, Willingham decided to let Baer go. In the three years at UW, the defense ranked 94, 95 and 98 in total defense, 89, 85 and 94 in scoring defense, and 106, 102 and 85 in passing defense.(1)

Or how about this one:

Following the 2017 football season, Baer was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at UNLV, allowing over 31 points per game and over 450 yards to opposing offenses.

How are those kind of numbers gonna set with the tea and crumpets crowd up in the President’s box, PR?

I'm on the poor hire bus with this guy for those exact statistical reasons. I think that he's had HISTORICALLY good defenses, but recently has really been poor overall. I wonder if the spread offense has anything to do with it? That's past me, but my hope is that the overall group as a whole comes together and things work out well for these guys. Will see how the Spring goes and wait to make further judgements until then. Will be a pretty even spring I'd assume with new offense and new defense. Would Bobby fire him after spring if he sucked hind tit at that point or would he wait and see how things go for the season?

AZDoc said:
I'm on the poor hire bus with this guy for those exact statistical reasons. I think that he's had HISTORICALLY good defenses, but recently has really been poor overall. I wonder if the spread offense has anything to do with it? That's past me, but my hope is that the overall group as a whole comes together and things work out well for these guys. Will see how the Spring goes and wait to make further judgements until then. Will be a pretty even spring I'd assume with new offense and new defense. Would Bobby fire him after spring if he sucked hind tit at that point or would he wait and see how things go for the season?

Careful with language like that, Doc...TCCGriz will report your post.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Here's some of the coaching resume of the guy that AZGriz says has failed everywhere he's been:

"A long-time member of Tyrone Willingham's coaching staff, the 2007 season marked the 13th year Kent Baer worked for the Husky head coach and his third at Washington. UW is the third Pac-10 school where Baer has served as a defensive coordinator.

A coach who insists on sound fundamentals and an aggressive attitude on defense, Baer coached with Willingham for three years at Notre Dame and was a member of his staff for seven years at Stanford. Baer served as the Fighting Irish head coach during the 2004 Insight Bowl following Willingham's dismissal.

In 2004 Baer's Irish defense ranked third in the nation against the run (88.2 yards per game) and allowed five rushing TDs during the regular season. The 2003 Irish defense ranked 33rd nationally in total defense and was 29th in the nation against the rush, surrendering only 127.2 yards per game. In Baer's first season at Notre Dame, the 2002 Irish finished ninth in scoring defense (16.69), 10th in the nation in pass efficiency (98.24) and rushing defense (95.23), and 13th in total defense (300.00).

In 2002 Baer was named a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach, for the first time in his career.

Baer, who also coached the linebackers while at Stanford, came to the Cardinal in 1995 after serving as a defensive coordinator for 12 seasons at Arizona State, California and Utah State. In 2001, Baer's Cardinal defense led the Pac-10 in rushing defense for only the second time in school history. The Cardinal only gave up 109.6 yards per game on the ground that season.

While at Stanford, Baer coached some of the finest defensive players in school history, including Riall Johnson and Willie Howard. Johnson, an outside linebacker, became the first player in Pac-10 history to lead the league in sacks in back-to-back seasons (1999-2000), while Howard, a defensive end, became only the fourth defensive lineman in school history to earn first-team all-Pac-10 honors in consecutive seasons.

Baer was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Arizona State for three seasons (1992-94) prior to coming to Stanford. He has coached at California (1987-91), Idaho (1986), Utah State (1977-85) and with the Yokosuka Seahawks (a United States Navy team) from 1973-76. His 1992 Sun Devils defense allowed just 268.8 yards per game and was ranked seventh in the nation. All-Americans Shante Carver, Craig Newsome and Brett Wallerstedt were all mainstays on Baer's Arizona State defense.

Prior to Arizona State, Baer was Cal's defensive coordinator for five seasons. He was part of a staff that led the Bears to a 17-6-1 record in 1990-91 with victories in the Copper Bowl (1990) and Citrus Bowl (1991). Baer helped lead Cal to a 10-2 record and a No. 8 national ranking in 1991.

In his one season at Idaho, Baer was the defensive coordinator for a Vandals team that went 8-4 and earned a berth in the NCAA Division 1-AA playoffs.

At Utah State, Baer coached outside linebackers for six seasons (1977-82) before becoming the defensive coordinator and secondary coach for three years (1983-85). In two of his three years as defensive coordinator, the Aggies led the conference in total defense."

http://www.gohuskies.com/news/2013/4/18/208223975.aspx

"On April 14, 2008, Baer became defensive coordinator at San Jose State under Dick Tomey.[7]

On December 11, 2012, Baer became interim head coach of San Jose State after Mike MacIntyre resigned to become head coach at Colorado. Baer coached the Spartans to a 29-20 victory over Bowling Green University in the 2012 Military Bowl on December 27. MacIntyre announced on December 18 that he would like Baer to join him in Colorado as defensive coordinator.[8] With five other former San Jose State assistants, Baer joined MacIntyre in Colorado on January 3, 2013.[9]

First year head coach Tony Sanchez completed his staff at UNLV when Baer joined on December 22, 2014 as his defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.[10] Following the 2017 football season, Baer was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at UNLV,"

Wiki.

"Baer and LaRussa were among Sanchez’s first hires when he took the job in December 2014. The Rebels gave up 38.5 points and 513.5 yards per game the season before they arrived from Colorado, and this past season the numbers were down to 31.8 and 458.7."

Also from wiki, which you conveniently edited out:
On January 3, 2005, after Willingham became head coach at Washington, Baer joined Willingham's staff as defensive coordinator.[6] At the conclusion of the 2007 season, after a statistically worst defensive season in UW football history, Willingham decided to let Baer go. In the three years at UW, the defense ranked 94, 95 and 98 in total defense, 89, 85 and 94 in scoring defense, and 106, 102 and 85 in passing defense.(1)

Or how about this one:

Following the 2017 football season, Baer was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at UNLV, allowing over 31 points per game and over 450 yards to opposing offenses.

How are those kind of numbers gonna set with the tea and crumpets crowd up in the President’s box, PR?

I have said that Baer was let go by UW and UNLV. In each case, the he'd coach said positive things about Baer. I guess you edited that out. You have said Baer hasn't done anything for 15 years, but provided almost no support for your statement.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Bob Stitt.

Who the hell are you to declare who is and isn’t worthy of a being a Griz fan?!

But thanks for yet another example of what a pretentious narcissist you are with yet another anecdote where you’re privy to an unsubstantiated comment from an unverified third-party who supposedly had insider information and whose alleged comments negates my opinion.

Classic PR move.

My favorite example though is still how you jumped on the thread about Reece’s injury to tell everyone all about the time YOU injured YOUR foot in New York or wherever. Even then, while people were posting words of support and encouragement for Reece, you couldn’t resist trying make it about you.

Talk about being a jerk!

I’d insert a jerk store reference here, but I’m sure it’d go over your head. Then you’d have to call one of your kids and come back here with another blah blah blah post that is actually just another chance for you to tell everyone that your kids are attorneys or whatever back east...

I swear, if Amazon Echo Silver Edition was an actual product, I’d buy one for every room of your house just to keep you off egriz. The “uh-huh” feature would be perfect for you.

And for the record I haven’t trashed any players or coaches here. I’m trashing you and the arrogant elitist fans like you for being such blatant hypocrites.

Mining, aren't I entitled to my opinion, or do you think that only you gets an opinion. My opinion is that UM doesn't need people like you as fans. It isn't pretentious or narcissistic to state an opinion.

I find it interesting that you are apparently so insecure that you can't stand it when someone who has more information, provides views ands opinions with support, and says things with confidence, offends you so much.

Yes, it's true that I once had an injury similar to Phillips' but not nearly as bad, and that I had experience on recovery. Providing that information was not making it about me in any respect. This is another example of your insecurity. Have you gone through life thinking everyone was getting more than you or people were picking on you?

I think it's funny that you get so worked up when someone knows more than you, and doesn't agree with your (silly) views.

Kent IS A GREAT PICK! DC stints at Cal., Stanford, Washington and Notre Dame. Head coach at ND one year and Broyles award finalist ( top assistant coach in America) So much experience and knowledge to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bobby know's what he's doing! Go Griz! Tim will come back later on.He will honor his Philly contract first, I think?

Kent IS A GREAT PICK! DC stints at Cal., Stanford, Washington and Notre Dame. Head coach at ND one year and Broyles award finalist,2002 ( top assistant coach in America) So much experience and knowledge to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bobby know's what he's doing! Go Griz! Tim will come back later on.He will honor his Philly contract first, I think?

Kent IS A GREAT PICK! DC stints at Cal., Stanford, Washington and Notre Dame. Head coach at ND one year and Broyles award finalist,2002 ( top assistant coach in America) So much experience and knowledge to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bobby know's what he's doing! Go Griz! Tim will come back later on.He will honor his Philly contract first, I think?

Back