• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

100% unofficial fan-built early 2023 2-deep

BWahlberg

DONOR
You break this team down and I think this is a good roster - it'll need some leadership to show up and probably some transfers to help the ranks. Being that we don't know who all returns I'll go off what we know today.

QB: Britt (So) / Brown (Jr) / Abbot (So)
RB: Ostmo (Jr) / Harris (Jr) / Childs (Jr) / Gillman (RS Frosh)
WR: Fontes (Jr) / Simpson (Jr)
WR: White (Jr) / Racanelli (Jr)
WR: Bergen (Jr) / Deck (Soph) or Ver Strate (Jr)
TE: Grossman (Jr) / Barker (Jr) or Rensvold (Sr)
OT: Dries (Jr) / McCabe (RS Frosh)
OT: Casey (Jr) / Botner (Jr)
G: Mayginnes (Sr) / Kanouse (Sr)
G: Grimsrud (Soph) / Brown (Soph)
C: Forbes (Sr) / Lincoln (Soph)

Offense would have just 2 seniors starting

DE: Edwards (Jr) / Nuce (Jr)
DT: Gubner (Sr) / Evans (Soph) or Ramos (RS Frosh)
DE: McGourin (Jr) or Hustedt (Jr) / McPherson (Soph)
Edge/LB: Janacaro (Sr) / Rostad (Jr)
LB: Hill (Sr) / Croy (Soph)
LB: Flink (Sr) / Tirrell (Jr)
S: Cotton (Sr) / Koppang (Sr)
S: Graves (Sr) / Barnum (Jr)
S: Fouch (Sr) / Lee (Jr)
CB: Walker (Sr) / Gradney (Jr)
CB: Whitehead (Sr) / Simmons (Soph)

Defense would be senior-heavy with 9 senior starters.

What I like: I think there's excellent athleticism at skill positions on offense. Like RB and WR room a lot. OL brings back 4 starters and our 2 best will be senior leaders. Defense is full of experience again, D-line will be pretty big. Offense could be good for years if the system is built for success around this group.

What worries me: I don't know if I see a systematic "fix" for the issues we've seen on defense. QB room (based on 2022 results) leaves me nervous, depth on defense becomes far more unknown. Lots of unproven corners here.

Where I'd expect transfers: QB, OT, DL, CB, S

Made an edit - had Alford at DT and not Gubby

BWahlberg said:

So, the same places we see transfers almost every year.

I’ve given up caring about the incoming recruiting classes. So few actually stay and have an impact in Bobby’s world that there’s little use getting excited about them.

Oh, and Gubner is only a RS Junior. Unless he’s already said he’s leaving, he has another year of eligibility.

Interesting that you think Ramos is going to be immediately impactful, but not Detrick at DE….

AZGrizFan said:
Interesting that you think Ramos is going to be immediately impactful, but not Detrick at DE….

I'm taking a wild-ass guess at D-line depth, honestly. Could see Detrick there too of course.

Let the sugar begin...

Let me guess:
1. Linemen over 300 pounds and benching volkswagons...
2. Britt has made big strides..can make multiple reads and throw it on a rope.
3. Off season work reported as well above average.
4. Team ready to take a big step forward...
5. Really like the 2-deep. Good depth all over the place.

Here we go again.

BWahlberg said:
You break this team down and I think this is a good roster - it'll need some leadership to show up and probably some transfers to help the ranks. Being that we don't know who all returns I'll go off what we know today.

DT: Alford (Sr) / Evans (Soph) or Ramos (RS Frosh)

What I like: I think there's excellent athleticism at skill positions on offense. Like RB and WR room a lot. OL brings back 4 starters and our 2 best will be senior leaders. Defense is full of experience again, D-line will be pretty big. Offense could be good for years if the system is built for success around this group.

What worries me: I don't know if I see a systematic "fix" for the issues we've seen on defense. QB room (based on 2022 results) leaves me nervous, depth on defense becomes far more unknown. Lots of unproven corners here.

Same end result if this plays out.

I'm curious of everyones thoughts on maybe Abbott being the starting QB next year, I remember alot of people going to bat to get him and the reaction of his transfer announcement.

Looking at that roster I feel we should move to a more option centric type offense especially with who we know we have at the skill positions, that's alot of WR/RBs/playmakers. Not a true Triple Option but maybe something similar to what Costal Carolina currently does. Would help with our O-Line issues (if they persist) and improve our run game. Granted would require our coaching staff to be flexible and that's a whole other issue.

Same questions are applied to Defensive Scheme. Maybe a 3-4 would be a better approach then the 3-3-5. Less aggressive but also less prone to giving up big plays. Again will depend on coaches flexibility but as mentioned that's a whole other issue.

SoldierGriz said:
Let the sugar begin...

Let me guess:
1. Linemen over 300 pounds and benching volkswagons...
2. Britt has made big strides..can make multiple reads and throw it on a rope.
3. Off season work reported as well above average.
4. Team ready to take a big step forward...
5. Really like the 2-deep. Good depth all over the place.

Here we go again.

The week by week preparation was as good as we’ve ever seen!

Your 2D doesn't seem to be impacted by the third most populated place in the country, the portal. No goings at least. You truly are the eternal optimist. :thumb:

Bok_Choi said:
Your 2D doesn't seem to be impacted by the third most populated place in the country, the portal. No goings at least. You truly are the eternal optimist. :thumb:
Okay, then tell us who you think is leaving.

Scheme aside, do UM fans see the above as representing an upgrade or downgrade in terms of overall talent and why?

Lord Vigo said:
Scheme aside, do UM fans see the above as representing an upgrade or downgrade in terms of overall talent and why?

Would you still recommend GCINX over FSGGX and why?

indiancoyote said:
BWahlberg said:

DT: Alford (Sr) / Evans (Soph) or Ramos (RS Frosh)

Even if there are internal system / design / coaching changes? (not saying there will be - many are obviously expecting it)

Lord Vigo said:
You mean without any additions? I feel like any team losing their seniors without any replacements would be worse off.

My hot take prediction is that Gillman is gonna be our starter going into the 1st game.

uofmman1122 said:
Lord Vigo said:
You mean without any additions? I feel like any team losing their seniors without any replacements would be worse off.

My hot take prediction is that Gillman is gonna be our starter going into the 1st game.

I would bet the house against that. Bobby’s MO is to give deference to the upperclassmen. Ostmo (assuming healthy) will be RB1. Look at how he treated Childs/Harris this year despite the work they put in last year.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I would bet the house against that. Bobby’s MO is to give deference to the upperclassmen. Ostmo (assuming healthy) will be RB1. Look at how he treated Childs/Harris this year despite the work they put in last year.
I personally think Gillman is already a better back than Childs and Harris running the ball, and doesn't have a long way to go to being better than Ostmo (who can't seem to stay healthy). I'm not trying to knock our guys, I just think Gillman is the real fucking deal.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I personally think Gillman is already a better back than Childs and Harris running the ball, and doesn't have a long way to go to being better than Ostmo (who can't seem to stay healthy). I'm not trying to knock our guys, I just think Gillman is the real fucking deal.

Well I couldn’t agree more and I’d have made sure THIS year that he got four full games of PT to find out for sure without burning a year, but instead he got what, 8 carries total in two games? So we’re still left with not really knowing and what we DO know is based on a VERY limited set of information.

uofmman1122 said:
Lord Vigo said:

Ok better question:

Regarding positions with new players in the lineup, where are you excited and where are you hoping for more help?

BWahlberg said:
indiancoyote said:

Even if there are internal system / design / coaching changes? (not saying there will be - many are obviously expecting it)
Alford will not start at DT. Main reason is he was introduced with seniors on senior day and was listed as a senior on the roster unless something has changed.

Triwest said:
BWahlberg said:
Alford will not start at DT. Main reason is he was introduced with seniors on senior day and was listed as a senior on the roster unless something has changed.

I messed it up! Meant to put Gubby in there - edited the original post. Yes, Alford is a graduating senior.

Back