• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Defense

At the end of the day, after all this bickering over Semore/Stitt vs Hauck/Bear, I would expect that the 2019 defense will be much the same as the 2018 defense which was much the same as the 2017 defense. Maybe some new faces will have impact but difficult at this point to predict. What I see is a weak defensive line passing the deal off to a pretty strong line-backing crew. Safeties, especially Hauck will keep piling on to get tackling statistics but will have multiple blown coverages. We need to shore up a weak defensive line but not much evidence of that yet. Corners - meh. My opinion, and I do get one even though the Haucksuckers will complain, is that the defense will have their moments against the weaker teams and get the business from the stronger. No need to compare past vs. present DC position - it is what it is. It wasn't great with Semore and it is unlikely to significantly improve under Baer in 2019.

sdk.catfish said:
At the end of the day, after all this bickering over Semore/Stitt vs Hauck/Bear, I would expect that the 2019 defense will be much the same as the 2018 defense which was much the same as the 2017 defense. Maybe some new faces will have impact but difficult at this point to predict. What I see is a weak defensive line passing the deal off to a pretty strong line-backing crew. Safeties, especially Hauck will keep piling on to get tackling statistics but will have multiple blown coverages. We need to shore up a weak defensive line but not much evidence of that yet. Corners - meh. My opinion, and I do get one even though the Haucksuckers will complain, is that the defense will have their moments against the weaker teams and get the business from the stronger. No need to compare past vs. present DC position - it is what it is. It wasn't great with Semore and it is unlikely to significantly improve under Baer in 2019.

I think you are correct and with the graduation of a couple DL that played a lot it might be worse. Sure could have used a transfer in the trenches.

Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:

I think you are correct and with the graduation of a couple DL that played a lot it might be worse. Sure could have used a transfer in the trenches.

+1

Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:

We had a “transfer” that sat on the bench all season as O-line depth...still not sure what that move was about unless Bobby and crew have zero confidence in Angel as an interior D-lineman.

'68griz said:
Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:
+1
We started a total of 3 seniors in the MSU game, all on D. We were a very young team in 2018; we will be noticably better on both sides of the ball in 2019.

kemajic said:
'68griz said:
Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:
+1
We started a total of 3 seniors in the MSU game, all on D. We were a very young team in 2018; we will be noticably better on both sides of the ball in 2019.

I like some of the guys coming up...also like a couple of the guys in this class to make an immediate impact (Hurlburt, for one)...

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
'68griz said:
Ursus1 said:
+1

I like some of the guys coming up...also like a couple of the guys in this class to make an immediate impact (Hurlburt, for one)...

with 23 O-line players now on the roster, I assume we will see a OL drop to DL again. We also will assume a few DE will step up to DT weight as we are over staffed at DE. Sims will most likely be expected to be in the 285-290 range. Deming, Rosling and Maua all have the size to move inside and I assume they will be asked to add some weight. So we could end up with a pretty talented front 3-4 if it all works out

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
'68griz said:
Ursus1 said:
+1

I also intereted to see progress from Milton Mamula and Lorezon Brown, both at D End.

grizband said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
'68griz said:

I also intereted to see progress from Milton Mamula and Lorezon Brown, both at D End.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopefully Mamula is fully healthy.

AZGrizFan said:
grizband said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopefully Mamula is fully healthy.

I saw him at the airport a month or so ago. Was glad to see that he was still in Missoula.

The rush end has to be the biggest opportunity for improvement on defense. I’m assuming Calhoun returns & there aren’t major defections. I’m also assuming another year of position shuffling & tryouts for spots where there’s a need.

It’s a linebacker in the 3/3 stack Baer uses & there are some interesting candidates including Mamula. They need productivity - creating pressure with blitzing backers & safeties is fine - but not a a steady diet. A good rush end would have been a major difference maker this last season

AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:

We had a “transfer” that sat on the bench all season as O-line depth...still not sure what that move was about unless Bobby and crew have zero confidence in Angel as an interior D-lineman.

Is it me or is this post confusing? Who was the OL transfer and who is this DT/NT named Angel? Can anybody help me out?

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:

Is it me or is this post confusing? Who was the OL transfer and who is this DT/NT named Angel? Can anybody help me out?
It's confusing because I was referencing Esai Longoria, who had "transferred" from the D-line to the O-line and mistakenly called him Angel (as in Angel Villanueva). :oops:

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:
sdk.catfish said:

the post is not correct. I am not sure what he is trying to say. Angel was and always has been an OL player. Really only players that moved to DL were Cy and Esai and neither were transfers and both saw playing time this year and were needed. Both I would assume have the option to go back to DL this year if they want. Kanouse was a transfer from a prep school last year but he was an OL player. Outside of those I have no idea what he could be talking about

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:

It's confusing because I was referencing Esai Longoria, who had "transferred" from the D-line to the O-line and mistakenly called him Angel (as in Angel Villanueva). :oops:

Okay, sorry wasn't actually trying to be a douche (for once), I really just didn't follow. I should have noticed the "quotes" on "Transfer". I look forward to seeing Longoria on the field, not sure if he was just moved to get enough bodies out there for practice.

Back