• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Griz RB's

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
garizzalies said:
This place is hilarious. Somehow an opinion will get started, usually from someone with a weird agenda, 1000s of miles away from Mecca (WaGriz), and/or by someone who’s never played the game or doesn’t actually attend any games. Then that opinion bounces around this echo chamber long enough until it basically gets adopted as a fact.

This thread is a perfect example. Eastwood is an awesome back. He could be a 4year starter and break all kinds of records. Sure the fumble sucked, but he was great under the circumstances this year (young, new team, shitty OL). He’s got good size; good vision; good speed; great hands. What’s not to like? Seriously, someone please point out a legit defect. Pass pro? Please.....he’s young!!

Put it this way: have we ever had a freshman RB look that good (and behind such a porous OL)? The only (modern) UM freshman RB I can think of might be the older Nyguen bro (but he had a much better OL that year). There’s probably only 1-2 freshman RBs in the league where I would trade Eastwood.

Good post. I’ve been very impressed with Eastwood, especially his pass catching abilities, yards after catch, and willingness to truck a defender. Kid will only get better too.

He had 514 yards, averaged 4.1 ypc and scored 9 TDs. Tack on 30 receptions for 183 as well. That’s pretty damn good for a freshman with a struggling O Line

Will he ever live down the fumble?

I hope so. I definitely don’t blame just him. First, Meyer gets blown back 3 yards by Yates, then Sirmon gets blasted on his back 3 yards deep, and since our OC ran the same exact play they just ran prior, Collins got a running head start to blow Eastwood up untouched. It was a culmination of crap, not just Eastwood as I see it.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
garizzalies said:
This place is hilarious. Somehow an opinion will get started, usually from someone with a weird agenda, 1000s of miles away from Mecca (WaGriz), and/or by someone who’s never played the game or doesn’t actually attend any games. Then that opinion bounces around this echo chamber long enough until it basically gets adopted as a fact.

This thread is a perfect example. Eastwood is an awesome back. He could be a 4year starter and break all kinds of records. Sure the fumble sucked, but he was great under the circumstances this year (young, new team, shitty OL). He’s got good size; good vision; good speed; great hands. What’s not to like? Seriously, someone please point out a legit defect. Pass pro? Please.....he’s young!!

Put it this way: have we ever had a freshman RB look that good (and behind such a porous OL)? The only (modern) UM freshman RB I can think of might be the older Nyguen bro (but he had a much better OL that year). There’s probably only 1-2 freshman RBs in the league where I would trade Eastwood.

Good post. I’ve been very impressed with Eastwood, especially his pass catching abilities, yards after catch, and willingness to truck a defender. Kid will only get better too.

He had 514 yards, averaged 4.1 ypc and scored 9 TDs. Tack on 30 receptions for 183 as well. That’s pretty damn good for a freshman with a struggling O Line

I hope so. I definitely don’t blame just him. First, Meyer gets blown back 3 yards by Yates, then Sirmon gets blasted on his back 3 yards deep, and since our OC ran the same exact play they just ran prior, Collins got a running head start to blow Eastwood up untouched. It was a culmination of crap, not just Eastwood as I see it.

100% agree.

Ursus1 said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

100% agree.

Agreed...honestly might have been the worst play by the O-line all game.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
kemajic said:
Lex Hilliard. May have had a better OL, but he was a true freshman, not a RS freshman like Eastwood. We need a RB capable of outgaining our QB; maybe it's Eastwood, but he's going to have to grow his capabilities as he matures.
Good catch. Looks like you have hands as good as Eastwood.
Can’t really argue with that but I would point out that they both had almost identical total yardage in their first year (707 v 697) but Eastwood had more TDs (5 v 9). [Tho if I recall correctly, Eastwood may have played in one more game.]
Lex was not the feature back; playing behind a fellow named Justin Green. Our biggest problem was that Eastwood was probably not ready to be our feature back; Justin was unable to get onto the field. Sneed had to step in.

Not following this one Kem. I don't think Sneed "had to step in." I don't recall that many designed QB runs. Sneed's rushing was based on 0-line breakdowns and not finding his second or third reads IMO.
Kem’s right. Coach Green was featured (and a beast) but so was the run game in general back then. Eastwood might not be Lex but he’s good and different; the game’s different. I think he could (someday) be the best pass catching back we’ve had.

And how can you forget possibly the best designed QB play in....IDK how long? That fake-option-reverse-keeper-play was a thing of beauty. Genius! Won us a game.

Dare I say, more innovative and effective than Stitt’s-fly-sweepy-play.

17 pages. Go.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
kemajic said:
Lex Hilliard. May have had a better OL, but he was a true freshman, not a RS freshman like Eastwood. We need a RB capable of outgaining our QB; maybe it's Eastwood, but he's going to have to grow his capabilities as he matures.
Can’t really argue with that but I would point out that they both had almost identical total yardage in their first year (707 v 697) but Eastwood had more TDs (5 v 9). [Tho if I recall correctly, Eastwood may have played in one more game.]
Lex was not the feature back; playing behind a fellow named Justin Green. Our biggest problem was that Eastwood was probably not ready to be our feature back; Justin was unable to get onto the field. Sneed had to step in.

Not following this one Kem. I don't think Sneed "had to step in." I don't recall that many designed QB runs. Sneed's rushing was based on 0-line breakdowns and not finding his second or third reads IMO.
I recall a lot of designed QB runs. Were you at the games?

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
garizzalies said:

Me too.

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
garizzalies said:

Yes, I made it to three this year. I just don't remember running plays designed for Sneed. Maybe I have PTSD from the cat game, who knows?

I guess I see a distinction between zone read option and designed QB runs. K-State features their QB as a running back for example. I don't think the Griz offense is or was designed to feature Sneed "stepping in as a RB." He did and does run well. Would he run as much with better O-line play?

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

Yes, I made it to three this year. I just don't remember running plays designed for Sneed. Maybe I have PTSD from the cat game, who knows?

I guess I see a distinction between zone read option and designed QB runs. K-State features their QB as a running back for example. I don't think the Griz offense is or was designed to feature Sneed "stepping in as a RB." He did and does run well. Would he run as much with better O-line play?

There were a lot of both...

garizzalies said:
And how can you forget possibly the best designed QB play in....IDK how long? That fake-option-reverse-keeper-play was a thing of beauty. Genius! Won us a game.

That play was freaking awesome. The first time they ran it I bet I replayed it 4-5 times just to watch the defenders get juked out of their shorts... :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

That play was freaking awesome. The first time they ran it I bet I replayed it 4-5 times just to watch the defenders get juked out of their shorts... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was also amazing gamesmanship, because if I remember correctly, that was the very first play Jeremy Calhoun was back in the game last season as tailback, so the defenders were 100% locked on him. Brilliant.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
garizzalies said:

Lots of blame to go around. If Sneed pulls it he has a walk-in lane to the end zone on the right side.

Back