• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021 Grizzly Scholarship Association BBQ in Billings

kemajic said:
tourist said:
Mountains. No mountains around Billings.
You once again expose your lack of knowledge. The highest mountains in MT (the Beartooths) and Granite Peak are about 50-60 miles from Billings. 400 from Missoula, 500+ from Wallace. I'm sitting in my office looking at Granite Peak as I type in Columbus.

The fact that you're closer to the highest peak in the State of Montana in downtown Billings than when in downtown Missoula was often a good bet. I made beer money on that bet.

GSA BBQ in Billings not Great Falls? Great Falls is the largest fund raising event in the state and we get skipped? Maybe they don't need our money? They skipped us for the golfing tour as well.

reinell30 said:
GSA BBQ in Billings not Great Falls? Great Falls is the largest fund raising event in the state and we get skipped? Maybe they don't need our money? They skipped us for the golfing tour as well.

Great Falls has always been cat territory because of the ag influence. Do you know how many lawyers there are in Billings?

Blgs Griz Fan said:
reinell30 said:

Great Falls has always been cat territory because of the ag influence. Do you know how many lawyers there are in Billings?

Like I stated, the GSA BBQ in Great Falls always raises more money then any other GSA event. Seems to me, specially in these Covid times, you would go where you get the most bang for your buck? Maybe Great Falls just isn't important enough anymore? Something for me to consider with GSA contributions in the future?
MSU stopped their fund raising event here as well. Issues of money laundering I heard.

I talked with someone in the athletic department and the response regarding GF was “your just to good Getting people there and with Covid restrictions at the time we couldn’t meet protocols”. They will be back next year according to this person.

nzone said:
I talked with someone in the athletic department and the response regarding GF was “your just to good Getting people there and with Covid restrictions at the time we couldn’t meet protocols”. They will be back next year according to this person.

Same answer I got from Greg too...Not buying it.

reinell30 said:
nzone said:

Same answer I got from Greg too...Not buying it.

JFC, do you really think they would turn their backs on any revenue stream right now without a substantial limiting factor?

reinell30 said:

Where they are going has nothing to do with Missoula. Billings wasn’t going to do an event this year but then we decided to do one because lots of people were interested. So we got a group of people together and planned it all out. It’s been a lot of work, but I’m excited for next week. If you want the GSA to go to Great Falls, get involved and get an event planned.

BDizzle said:
reinell30 said:

Where they are going has nothing to do with Missoula. Billings wasn’t going to do an event this year but then we decided to do one because lots of people were interested. So we got a group of people together and planned it all out. It’s been a lot of work, but I’m excited for next week. If you want the GSA to go to Great Falls, get involved and get an event planned.

I am being told that it is the Great Falls GSA chapter that elected to not have the fund raiser here. They pissed off a lot of donors! I am involved, apparently not enough...Next year!

As a Great Falls GSA board member, I would like to clear up some misconceptions. We would like nothing else but to participate as usual. We were unsure if this was going to happen much less when. We set our date for the GSA fundraiser in Great Falls the day after the current years fundraiser. Not knowing if or when they were going to do it this year, we could not secure a location until we knew. By then, it is too late to get our standard location. In addition, we spend an entire year getting auction items, getting sponsorships, and getting volunteers. Our GSA board is all volunteer and many still work and we did not have the time to throw it together without knowing the details. Part of why the Great Falls GSA event is so successful is that we literally work on it year around. We were unable to meet, unable to secure a location, unable to secure sponsorships, and unable to get the people who help us pull it off. Some of whom we actually pay for their services. Factor in the fact that I know of at least 2 of our board members who did have co-vid including myself. I can speak for myself that I am still not in a position to expend much energy beyond my work and my family right now.

We did discuss doing a golf outing, but time and locale did not allow us to spend the time to organize it to the point that it would have been profitable for a donation to the GSA. I too was disappointed. It is one of my favorite activities of the year. Knowing that we can support the GSA with a big check every year is awesome. We will be back and we will make it awesome.

In the meantime, might I suggest you do what I did. During the big give I donated 500 dollars to the GSA. If everyone that came to the GSA event in Great Falls donated 100 dollars to the GSA, we could match what we normally give to them. If you can't do that, do what you can. I can guarantee you that they need it more now than ever.

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:
There was a reason for that, until the feds decided to crack down on a aspiring business woman. Once she was run out of town, there was no more reason to stop in Wallace.
A late Saturday night cruise to Wallace with a carload was a normal part of campus life in the 60's.

And the 90s.

Hmm, I remember the old days. Maybe the centerpiece of the fund raising back in Great Falls could have a 'Wallace' emphasis BBQ? Just a suggestion.

grizatwork said:
As a Great Falls GSA board member, I would like to clear up some misconceptions. We would like nothing else but to participate as usual. We were unsure if this was going to happen much less when. We set our date for the GSA fundraiser in Great Falls the day after the current years fundraiser. Not knowing if or when they were going to do it this year, we could not secure a location until we knew. By then, it is too late to get our standard location. In addition, we spend an entire year getting auction items, getting sponsorships, and getting volunteers. Our GSA board is all volunteer and many still work and we did not have the time to throw it together without knowing the details. Part of why the Great Falls GSA event is so successful is that we literally work on it year around. We were unable to meet, unable to secure a location, unable to secure sponsorships, and unable to get the people who help us pull it off. Some of whom we actually pay for their services. Factor in the fact that I know of at least 2 of our board members who did have co-vid including myself. I can speak for myself that I am still not in a position to expend much energy beyond my work and my family right now.

We did discuss doing a golf outing, but time and locale did not allow us to spend the time to organize it to the point that it would have been profitable for a donation to the GSA. I too was disappointed. It is one of my favorite activities of the year. Knowing that we can support the GSA with a big check every year is awesome. We will be back and we will make it awesome.

In the meantime, might I suggest you do what I did. During the big give I donated 500 dollars to the GSA. If everyone that came to the GSA event in Great Falls donated 100 dollars to the GSA, we could match what we normally give to them. If you can't do that, do what you can. I can guarantee you that they need it more now than ever.

Sorry you got the rona! Thank you for this update. As you know, I am a huge supporter of these events. Unlike me though, I have many people asking me why this didn't happen, why the golfing tour skipped GF and I don't have the answers, so I ask. As you and I have talked in the past, please let me know when the committee is getting together so I can attend if possible?

Get Well!

Get a bus together from GF to attend the Billings event.

Yes, these are a lot of work.

reinell30 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Like I stated, the GSA BBQ in Great Falls always raises more money then any other GSA event. Seems to me, specially in these Covid times, you would go where you get the most bang for your buck? Maybe Great Falls just isn't important enough anymore? Something for me to consider with GSA contributions in the future?
MSU stopped their fund raising event here as well. Issues of money laundering I heard.

Between Costello's interference, and subsequent canceling the Triangle Classic, and UMs apparent lack of interest in Great Falls(and points north and east) there is, IMO, a large block of Montana which is being ignored. Ye reap what ye sow.

The MSU angle hasn't produced any legal action that I am aware of, but seems a hand full of boosters busted their ass for years to produce a great fund raising event, and the new AD interfered with the process until that handful just said, 'f*ck it!'

Grizatwork has explained, in detail, the local GSAs efforts and problems encountered. What did UM do to assist them along the way? I don't know, but someone in Missoula knows.

MSUs lesson has been taught to one and all, but has it been learned?

tourist said:
reinell30 said:
...MSU stopped their fund raising event here as well. Issues of money laundering I heard.

...canceling the Triangle Classic...
Yes, I heard they canceled the MILF camp because someone got caught with their fingers in the cookie jars

I'm sure MILF was a loss, and will be noted, and mourned by many.
IF there was a crime, embezzelment or money laundering, regarding the GF function, I think we would have heard about it, and people would have been charged. Maybe I'm just naive.
We have a few lawyers on this site. What say you?

The Billings events turned out great! About 200 people at the bbq and 26 teams at the golf tournament. You could feel the excitement.

BDizzle said:
The Billings events turned out great! About 200 people at the bbq and 26 teams at the golf tournament. You could feel the excitement.
The coaches were once again fantastic at the event. It gets better. After playing a round at Columbus yesterday, we're sitting in the local watering hole, the New Atlas Bar in Columbus. After the Laurel golf event BH and the entire FB staff came rambling in as they had done two years ago. Special accessibility to a bunch of happy men. What is clear from the BBQ and this encounter is that these very experienced and underpaid coaches absolutely love their job and the kids they are working with. They are expecting a very special season this fall. They were not allowed to buy a drink; and then off to the Timber Bar in Big Timber.

Heard they raised $17,000 from the BBQ and silent auction. Wonder how much the golf round the next day raised?

Back