• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023-24 University of Montana Men's Basketball Recruiting

Chucknduck said:
UncleRico said:
No more Barry Bonds sightings at Griz games,

It would be alot cooler if it was Barry, but I believe you're referring to Bobby Bonilla

oh shoot..you are right. Gave away my age on that one because not many younger people would get the association.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/jeff-nwankwo
Anybody know if this he's being recruited for the coming season or the following?

MtTarheel said:
Anybody know if this he's being recruited for the coming season or the following?

He is being recruited for this year (2023). He was initially committed to Marist but pulled his commitment due to coaching changes. He has posted about 10+ D1 offers and would be an incredible get for us. Great size and athleticism.

GrizWin99 said:
MtTarheel said:

He is being recruited for this year (2023). He was initially committed to Marist but pulled his commitment due to coaching changes. He has posted about 10+ D1 offers and would be an incredible get for us. Great size and athleticism.

I count thirteen scholarships already committed. I somebody else leaving?

GrizWhiz said:
GrizWin99 said:

Who are your 13? Scholarships are tricky with extra eligibility, but between Moody and Vazquez at least one scholarship doesn’t count, if not both. I could be wrong, but someone else here will know more than me.

GrizWin99 said:
GrizWhiz said:

Who are your 13? Scholarships are tricky with extra eligibility, but between Moody and Vazquez at least one scholarship doesn’t count, if not both. I could be wrong, but someone else here will know more than me.

Good point! :thumb: I hadn't though of that!

Fischer Brown is heading to Wasatch Prep in Salt Lake to finish out his prep career per Greg Rachac. The basketball focused prep school has been a hot bed for emerging regional and international kids looking to get basketball specific training in an educational environment that allows them to focus on such. He had a great summer and I think it broadened interest beyond what was going to be BSC/MWC interest. There was a sense that Montana had the inside line on him for a while, but I think he's gonna be a bit out of UM/MSU's orbit now.

A kick to the junk for Lewistown who looked for the moment as the cream of Class A. These for-profit privately funded sports specific charter schools are hard to pass up when players are getting power 5 offers left and right. The Harwell kid from Pocatello transfered there last year and he's parlayed it into several power 5 offers, who was prior to that on the radar of a lot of lower level D1 schools including many in the BSC. Can't fault Fischer for jumping at the opportunity to attend the invitation only prep-school. I think he's capable of generating a ton of interest considering his size and length.

It'll be interesting to see how the year plays out for him in what is going to be a highly competitive environment in SLC.

GrizWhiz said:
GrizWin99 said:

All scholarships count now. That exception was only a one year deal. The way I count it the Grizz roster is full unless someone quits or is tossed. BTW, we can look for some changes in the portal and signings time limitation. Coaches are becoming weary of the recruiting taking so long that it has pushed back scheduling in a big way. Seems that teams want to know who will be playing for you before they commit to a game. Weber lost a big money game this year due to Dillon returning to school. That team backed out of the game because they didn't want tp pay for a game they could very well lose.

oldrunner said:
GrizWhiz said:
All scholarships count now. That exception was only a one year deal. The way I count it the Grizz roster is full unless someone quits or is tossed. BTW, we can look for some changes in the portal and signings time limitation. Coaches are becoming weary of the recruiting taking so long that it has pushed back scheduling in a big way. Seems that teams want to know who will be playing for you before they commit to a game. Weber lost a big money game this year due to Dillon returning to school. That team backed out of the game because they didn't want tp pay for a game they could very well lose.

Thanks for the input! I read that it is still up to the school to allow allocating scholarships above the limit. Do you know if this has changed or am I reading it incorrectly? I will attach the paragraph and link to article.

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

“ Ultimately, it’s the school’s and coach’s decision to decide if they want to extend their scholarship limit to include fifth year seniors or transfers. The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.”

GrizWin99 said:
oldrunner said:

Thanks for the input! I read that it is still up to the school to allow allocating scholarships above the limit. Do you know if this has changed or am I reading it incorrectly? I will attach the paragraph and link to article.

“ Ultimately, it’s the school’s and coach’s decision to decide if they want to extend their scholarship limit to include fifth year seniors or transfers. The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.”
I read the same thing, but it was intended to help teams who would have been over the limit for that next year and was not intended to be an ongoig thing. If it were ongoing, Weber and Montana would have signed additional players over the past couple of years. The intent was to allow teams to keep the players they had already signed and not have to yank someone's grant. The NCAA expected everyone to be back in compliance with the 13 grant limit the very next year. It was a one shot deal and not an ongoing ordeal. No programs are over the 13 grant limit anywhere in the country. Has nothing to do with how much money they have.

oldrunner said:
GrizWin99 said:

I read the same thing, but it was intended to help teams who would have been over the limit for that next year and was not intended to be an ongoig thing. If it were ongoing, Weber and Montana would have signed additional players over the past couple of years. The intent was to allow teams to keep the players they had already signed and not have to yank someone's grant. The NCAA expected everyone to be back in compliance with the 13 grant limit the very next year. It was a one shot deal and not an ongoing ordeal. No programs are over the 13 grant limit anywhere in the country. Has nothing to do with how much money they have.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Back