• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Griz Football Recruiting- (11)Verbals- (15)Offers- (1) 2024 Vebal

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Interesting comment embedded in this tweet from a recruit that was at the game….

https://twitter.com/devinfuruiye99/status/1589314778157441025?s=61&t=VH8YRtWCiewA8V9IByoI9Q

I can’t see the comment for some reason. Was it removed? Care to share info

It says “looking forward to the future!”

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
I can’t see the comment for some reason. Was it removed? Care to share info

It says “looking forward to the future!”

Oh my bad! I read what you were saying wrong. I thought some other recruit at the game made a comment on it that made it look like they were both headed to Zoo town. I’m picking up what you’re laying down now!

Some beef offered out of O’Dea HS…
https://twitter.com/dylancohen_/status/1589787064186597376?s=61&t=bpuY5g8kJfw6jOUsSp9BWA

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13579484/633b255c90ef9b16502a5491

https://twitter.com/joshrobinson22/status/1591453966105477122

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/17761466/633cc840dfe301011c62e2b6

Never saw this video from September Jaylen Hall Commitment

https://www.kusi.com/week-5-in-studio-commitment-jaylen-hall/

Paytonlives said:
Never saw this video from September Jaylen Hall Commitment

https://www.kusi.com/week-5-in-studio-commitment-jaylen-hall/

That is f...ing AWESOME!
His whole family is psyched to become members of Griz Nation.

Will have to look for his family members at the Brawl party at Macgregor's this Saturday

AZGrizFan said:
Looks like Eli Gillman’s little brother was there at the game too

https://twitter.com/montegillman/status/1589465678427615233?s=61&t=W8q3kK-5jeHa_OWgyyIatQ

And he has a name that would fit right into Griz nation

Fahque said:
AZGrizFan said:
Looks like Eli Gillman’s little brother was there at the game too

https://twitter.com/montegillman/status/1589465678427615233?s=61&t=W8q3kK-5jeHa_OWgyyIatQ

And he has a name that would fit right into Griz nation

Love to have him - another amazing talent. But isn’t he a 24’ graduate?

Recruiting has a lot to do with needs and slots avail. Just because he is a "legacy" or from Missoula does not dictate that he has a spot at UM.

Position matters
and type of offer matters.
University departments matter.
Friends/ girlfriends matter.
Parents matter.
Is he a good fit with the players "we" have matters.

Also, Griz have 14 listed Seniors... (9 verbals) with transfers out that means they will have about 21 spots (Not a huge class). Maybe quite a few less if they bring in 5-8 Transfers

Fans like too groan and moan about how so and so got away. But Trust me there is a lot more that goes into it than just "pick him up he has to be a Griz"

Paytonlives said:
Recruiting has a lot to do with needs and slots avail. Just because he is a "legacy" or from Missoula does not dictate that he has a spot at UM.

Position matters
Parents matter.

Also, Griz have 14 listed Seniors... (9 verbals) with transfers out that means they will have about 21 spots (Not a huge class). Maybe quite a few less if they bring in 5-8 Transfers

Fans like too groan and moan about how so and so got away. But Trust me there is a lot more that goes into it than just "pick him up he has to be a Griz"

This is true but I also think the recruiting tactics and strategy can be fairly criticized. Some of the things our staff does is very unconventional or sometimes out dated. Like a lot of things in life, it’s probably somewhere in the middle.

Paytonlives said:

Position matters
Parents matter.

Agreed. If I'd change anything, I'd make sure our strength coach was at the table for evaluating the O-line kids. The UNDSU strength coach is the last word on who gets an offer from them. In the last five cycles, there are exactly three guys this season who have seen the field. One of them is a converted D-lineman, a montanan, and thank god for him.

Bok_Choi said:
Paytonlives said:

Position matters
Parents matter.

Agreed. If I'd change anything, I'd make sure our strength coach was at the table for evaluating the O-line kids. The UNDSU strength coach is the last word on who gets an offer from them. In the last five cycles, there are exactly three guys this season who have seen the field. One of them is a converted D-lineman, a montanan, and thank god for him.

Yes. He has done a terrific job since taking over for Levi Brown.

Bok_Choi said:
Paytonlives said:

Position matters
Parents matter.

Just curious, what do you mean by this?

Alaska Griz said:
Bok_Choi said:

Go back and look at the rosters since 2019. Brown, Casey and Grimsrud are the only three who have started a game & played significant time this season from the most recent Hauck recruiting classes. (And yes, a few more have played as a result of blowout wins). There’s a Covid year mixed as well for one or two.. The other three are transfers / which I suppose could be recruits, but they didn’t start out at UM. Lot of freshman on the roster / meaning it’s been tough to find guys who are able or willing to make the commitment to see it through.

Bok_Choi said:
Alaska Griz said:

Go back and look at the rosters since 2019. Brown, Casey and Grimsrud are the only three who have started a game & played significant time this season from the most recent Hauck recruiting classes. (And yes, a few more have played as a result of blowout wins). There’s a Covid year mixed as well for one or two.. The other three are transfers / which I suppose could be recruits, but they didn’t start out at UM. Lot of freshman on the roster / meaning it’s been tough to find guys who are able or willing to make the commitment to see it through.

Okay. I guess i don't distinguish between recruited out of high or transferred. Maginnes and Forbes will likely have three full seasons as starters for the Griz. That's impressive. If you look across our roster this is somewhat common.

As a side note to your previous post, Journey has never played a live snap on D-line for the Griz to my knowledge. If he stays healthy, he will play every live snap in his college career as an olineman. He was allstate, and excellent on oline in high school. This is like that argument that all of our qbs get turned into other positions, but if you know the facts, it's hardly a surprise to anyone in the program. This is part of the recruiting and development portion, the part that some just don't seem to get. Just because they are listed as something their rs year on the online roster doesn't mean squat. I knew Grimsrud was going to be on the oline before the website ever changed. I do not consider it a conversion of any consequence. I guess I don't think twice about how the kids get here as long as they buy in and we win games.

And yes, Journey is doing excellent and will be great as I stated before the season started when a few were bashing on these guys, not to mention our left tackle, who some were running down on here before he ever had a chance to take a snap for our team. Guess what, he's stayed healthy all season and done a nice job for us. Not referring to you, just always amazes me how much some adults prefer to criticize players before even giving them a chance to play.

I also stated before the season that QB health was actually going to be our biggest question mark, not oline...Hmmm.

Alaska Griz said:
Bok_Choi said:

Okay. I guess i don't distinguish between recruited out of high or transferred. Maginnes and Forbes will likely have three full seasons as starters for the Griz. That's impressive. If you look across our roster this is somewhat common.

As a side note to your previous post, Journey has never played a live snap on D-line for the Griz to my knowledge. If he stays healthy, he will play every live snap in his college career as an olineman. He was allstate, and excellent on oline in high school. This is like that argument that all of our qbs get turned into other positions, but if you know the facts, it's hardly a surprise to anyone in the program. This is part of the recruiting and development portion, the part that some just don't seem to get. Just because they are listed as something their rs year on the online roster doesn't mean squat. I knew Grimsrud was going to be on the oline before the website ever changed. I do not consider it a conversion of any consequence. I guess I don't think twice about how the kids get here as long as they buy in and we win games.

And yes, Journey is doing excellent and will be great as I stated before the season started when a few were bashing on these guys, not to mention our left tackle, who some were running down on here before he ever had a chance to take a snap for our team. Guess what, he's stayed healthy all season and done a nice job for us. Not referring to you, just always amazes me how much some adults prefer to criticize players before even giving them a chance to play.

I also stated before the season that QB health was actually going to be our biggest question mark, not oline...Hmmm.

So Walker is done after this season, barring injury, Mayginnes, & Forbes last season is 2023. There was a lot of scrambling to get the other Mayginnes brother in and that didn't work out. Then Walker shows up. The hottest topic on the message board in the summer is who's being brought to fill whatever gap, seems like every summer. There are going to be questionmarks at QB and O-line because the reality is they seem to struggle developing them in-house. Britt was scout team player of the year last year, meaning they must have had some idea what they had. His skills are raw, but he looks a hell of a lot like an LJ or Jordon Johnson type to me - and ran this kind of scheme in high school. But Brown looked like the better option because...? And while I hope the O-line is turning the corner, I don't count the last two games as being rock solid indicators because the teams they were playing didn't want to be there. Weebs handled them pretty easily. Of course I'm not rooting against them, but we'll see what they've got on Saturday.

Grimsrud has been spectatular, even though he wasn't originally recruited to play the spot. He must have been a hell of a D-lineman if that's what they were targeting him for originally. And most kids in high school play multiple positions and sports, because t's what they have to do to field teams in many cases. I'm thankful he's stepped up and is playing so well. If he stays healthy going forward, you could be looking at something the Griz haven't seen for a while at this spot - a first team all-conference player. I've said in other posts that you can find safeties, linebackers and D-linemen all over Montana. It's been tough holding onto recruits at the O-line spots for whatever reason, these last few years. That's why my point is and will continue to be, they need to be priority recruits because no system or game plan is worth a dam without them.

Bok_Choi said:
Alaska Griz said:

So Walker is done after this season, barring injury, Mayginnes, & Forbes last season is 2023. There was a lot of scrambling to get the other Mayginnes brother in and that didn't work out. Then Walker shows up. The hottest topic on the message board in the summer is who's being brought to fill whatever gap, seems like every summer. There are going to be questionmarks at QB and O-line because the reality is they seem to struggle developing them in-house. Britt was scout team player of the year last year, meaning they must have had some idea what they had. His skills are raw, but he looks a hell of a lot like an LJ or Jordon Johnson type to me - and ran this kind of scheme in high school. But Brown looked like the better option because...? And while I hope the O-line is turning the corner, I don't count the last two games as being rock solid indicators because the teams they were playing didn't want to be there. Weebs handled them pretty easily. Of course I'm not rooting against them, but we'll see what they've got on Saturday.

Grimsrud has been spectatular, even though he wasn't originally recruited to play the spot. He must have been a hell of a D-lineman if that's what they were targeting him for originally. And most kids in high school play multiple positions and sports, because t's what they have to do to field teams in many cases. I'm thankful he's stepped up and is playing so well. If he stays healthy going forward, you could be looking at something the Griz haven't seen for a while at this spot - a first team all-conference player. I've said in other posts that you can find safeties, linebackers and D-linemen all over Montana. It's been tough holding onto recruits at the O-line spots for whatever reason, these last few years. That's why my point is and will continue to be, they need to be priority recruits because no system or game plan is worth a dam without them.

The way I look at it, this Oline has been good enough for the Griz to go undefeated this year without huge lapses in QB play against one of the tougher schedules we've had in some time. Our second string oline has gotten a game's worth of reps the last two weeks. I'm also disappointed we didn't play Britt more earlier on. As far as the hottest topic in the summer, that's dictated by a few very vocal folks who likely aren't going to practices or talking to coaches and aren't particulary interested in seeing how the line is actually progressing. Some really like complaining and namecalling on the internet. It is what it is. Hubcap was supposedly at practices, maybe i even talked to him, and just tearing down Chris Walker on here because he was a defensive line recruit and apparently couldn't block even though he was one of the better olinemen out of high school in Nebraska. I thought he looked good, coaches thought he looked good. Guess what, he's good. That's the point of my post. If you were to believe all the negative ranting before the season, you would have thought our oline was a pathetic, undersized mess. I think it is better than it's been in awhile and will likely be deeper and stronger next year.

Again, many guys are recruited as one thing with the idea that they may move positions after their red-shirt year, depending on need and where they might have the most impact. Team needs change. Players' bodies change. I know of a few guys that will likely "switch" positions before next season starts. That's part of the value of redshirting and that goes for every position on the team. Recruit big, physical, athletic guys and figure out where they can have the biggest impact. I know that doesn't fit the clean, organized team structure fans want to see, but it's certainly part of a recruiting philosophy and it has worked well for many teams. As far as transfers, fans need to get used to it. They are all over the field at most positions and that's not going to stop. The number might ebb and flow but that's about it.

Alaska Griz said:
Bok_Choi said:

The way I look at it, this Oline has been good enough for the Griz to go undefeated this year without huge lapses in QB play against one of the tougher schedules we've had in some time. Our second string oline has gotten a game's worth of reps the last two weeks. I'm also disappointed we didn't play Britt more earlier on. As far as the hottest topic in the summer, that's dictated by a few very vocal folks who likely aren't going to practices or talking to coaches and aren't particulary interested in seeing how the line is actually progressing. Some really like complaining and namecalling on the internet. It is what it is. Hubcap was supposedly at practices, maybe i even talked to him, and just tearing down Chris Walker on here because he was a defensive line recruit and apparently couldn't block even though he was one of the better olinemen out of high school in Nebraska. I thought he looked good, coaches thought he looked good. Guess what, he's good. That's the point of my post. If you were to believe all the negative ranting before the season, you would have thought our oline was a pathetic, undersized mess. I think it is better than it's been in awhile and will likely be deeper and stronger next year.

Again, many guys are recruited as one thing with the idea that they may move positions after their red-shirt year, depending on need and where they might have the most impact. Team needs change. Players' bodies change. I know of a few guys that will likely "switch" positions before next season starts. That's part of the value of redshirting and that goes for every position on the team. Recruit big, physical, athletic guys and figure out where they can have the biggest impact. I know that doesn't fit the clean, organized team structure fans want to see, but it's certainly part of a recruiting philosophy and it has worked well for many teams. As far as transfers, fans need to get used to it. They are all over the field at most positions and that's not going to stop. The number might ebb and flow but that's about it.
And these same OL detractors claim recruiting foul and that OLmen on our roster are "as rare as hen's teeth" when we have no fewer than 10 underclassmen OL men on the roster. They don't want their favorite skill player to be blamed when the offense doesn't move or the backup QB holds the ball too long. It must be an OL problem.

I don’t have a problem having to bring in transfers to plug a hole or two. Hell, there’s transfers at almost every position group (even O’Connell at LB). But when the holes are consistently in the same position groups, that begs the question: why can’t we recruit better out of HS at those positions? And those positions are QB, CB and O-line.

Back