• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL 2024 Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker

Grizfan-24

Staff member
Hey all, it is time for the silly season. Transfer season is upon is.

Here are some details:

Portal PeriodDatesWho is eligible, Process
Open Portal PeriodMonday March 18th to Thursday May 16thAny player regardless of college experience, on a LOI or not can enter the portal. Here is what the process looks like:
1. Student notifies school of their desire to transfer.
2. School submits paperwork, and student athlete receives notification they are no longer on roster at their original school.
3. Schools are free to contact any player directly who is in the portal and vice-versa.
4. Pretty much everyone is eligible for immediate transfer.
Restricted Portal PeriodMay 17th to August 1st (approx)After the open period closes,
1. Students may still submit their names into the portal.
2. Athletes can be offered roster spots, and do not have to sit out upcoming year provided this is their Free transfer or Grad Transfer. Limits on how grants-in-aid air provided.
3. Schools cannot add players to their roster if it exceeds their NCAA roster maximum (15) and are limited as to how they contact transfers.
4. Players are provisionally eligible just as so long as they were in good academic standing and meet transfer requirements.
Closed PortalAugust 1st (approx) to March of 2025During the closed portal period:
1. Athletes can signify they intend to transfer and leave their active roster.
2. They cannot transfer for immediate eligibility another school during the same academic/athletic school year.
3. Rosters are considered to be locked at this point. Schools can delete/remove players from but cannot add unless they meet very specific criteria. (Walk-On's, Second Semester Eligible Players, etc, enrolled at school at beginning of academic term, etc)

So here are the rules:
I'll track transfers in and out of Montana as well as the rest of the Big Sky Conference. I will track all transfers out regardless of designation but will only include 4 year school to program transfers in.

Prospective Montana Roster (2024-25)-By Position
PositionNameHT/WTYear/ScholarshipArrival
PGChase Henderson6'0'' 165So. (S)HS
PGBrandon Whitney6'1'' 183Sr. (S)- Covid Year/GT EligHS
CGConnor Dick6'3'' 194So. (WO)HS
CGKai Johnson6'3'' 175Sr. (S)TR (Western Washington)
SGAustin Patterson6'3'' 185Sr. (S)TR (Sacramento State)
SGMoney Williams6'4'' 200So. (S)HS
SGTyler Thompson6'6''Fr. (S)HS
SGJeremiah Dargan6'4''Jr. (S)JC (West Valley College)
SGMalik Moore6'5'' 185Jr. (S)TR (Pepperdine)
PostBlake Jones6'10'' 225Sr. (S)TR (George Mason)
PostZach Davidson6'8'' 224RS Fr. (S)HS
PostTe'Jon Sawyer6'8'' 252Sr. (S)TR (SFCC/Cal Baptist)

Montana- Scholarships:
  • Total Scholarships: 13 (Used 11 , Available 1)
  • Total Roster Slots: 15 (Used 12, Available 3)
Montana Targets:

Transfer Tracker (Done Alphabetically by Team)

Eastern Washington

• Departures: (6)
PositionNameHT/WTYR/Type of Transfer/YEPrior School/Next School
SFCasey Jones6'6'' 210Jr./UG/1E
SFAndre Mulibea6'6'' 210Jr./UG/1E
PFEthan Price6'10'' 230Jr./UG/1E(4-8)/Washington State
SFLejuan Watts6'6'' 225RS Fr./UG/3E(4-8)/Washington State
SFCedric Coward6'9'' 190JR/UG/1E(4-10)
PFDane Erikstrup6'10'' 240JR/UG/1E(4-10)
  • Arrivals:
PositionNameHT/WTYR/Type of Transfer/YEStatisticsPrior School/Next School

Idaho
  • Departures: 3
SGEmmitt Neal Jr.6'5'' 200Jr./UG/1ECCSF/ Sacramento State
SGQuinn Denker6'3'' 185Jr./UG/1ECS-San Marcos/
PFTerren Frank6'8'' 225Jr./UG/1EVanderbilt/TCU
  • Arrivals: 2
PGKolton Mitchell6'1 150RS FR/UG/3EIdaho State
SGJack Payne6'6'' 195FR/UG/3EColorado State
SFJayden Stevens6'7'' 190So./UG/2EOregon State

Idaho State
  • Departures: 10
SGMaleek Arrington6'3''So./UG/2E-- (March 15th)
PGKolton Mitchell6'1''RS Fr./UG/3E -Committed to Idaho
SFBriggs Ranstrom6'6'' 205RS Freshman/UG/3E-- (March 18th)
SFTrent Johnson6'7'' 205Jr./UG/1E--(March 18th)
SGJordan Hansen6'6'' 215Fr./UG/3E (WO)--(March 18th)
CGavin Gilstrap6'11'' 270Jr/UG/1E-- (March 20th);
PGMiguel Tomley6'3'' 200Jr./UG/1E-- Committed to Weber State
SFTurner Livingston6'4'' 190Fr./UG/3E-- (March 25th)
PGJames Bodily6'3'' 190Jr./UG/1E
CKiree Huie6'10'' 210Jr./UG/1E--4/19
PGQuinten Meza6'0'' 173FR/UG/3EWofford
PGDylan Darling6'2'' 175So./UG/2EWashington State

Montana
  • Departures: 4
SGGiordan Williams6'3'' 191SR/GT/1E-SSanta Clara/ (3-28)
PFRhett Reynolds6'9'' 180RS FR/UG/3E-S(3-28)-Committed to Montana Tech
SGJaxon Nap6'7'' 200SO/UG/2E-S(4-8)
SF/PFCaden Bateman6'7'' 200RS FR/UG/3E-WO(4-9)
  • Arrivals: 3
SGMalik Moore6'5'' 185JR/UG/2EPepperdine (4-8)
CGKai Johnson6'3'' 175SR/UG/1EWestern Washington (4-9)
SGAustin Patterson6'3'' 185SR/GTR/1ESacramento State (4-15)

Montana State
SGAidan Gair6'6''JR/UG/2E--(3-27)
SGJaqari Miles6'3'' 190Fr./UG/3E
PGEddie Turner III6'2'' 174Sr./GT/1E
  • Arrivals:

Northern Arizona
  • Departures:
  • Arrivals:

Northern Colorado
  • Departures: 6
PGDejour Reaves6'0'' 165JR/UG/1E-- Iona
SGMekhi Cameron6'4'' 185JR/UG/1E-- Tennessee Tech
PGConnor Creach6'5'' 200JR/UG/1E-- (March 25th)
SFJalen Page6'5'' 205JR/UG/1E-- (March 26th)
PFJuJu Ramirez6'9'' 220So/UG/2E-- (March 26th)
SFSaint Thomas6'7'' 215JR/UG/1E-- (March 26th)
  • Arrivals: 1
SGTaeshaud Jackson6'6'' 210So./UG/2EVMI (4-8)

Portland State
  • Departures: 2
PFAngelo Winkel6'9'' 230So./UG/2E-- (February 28); Offers: Weber State
PFKendall Munson6'7'' 220Jr./UG/1E--Jacksonville
  • Arrivals:

Sacramento State
PFDuncan Powell6'8'' 225Jr./Second Time/1ESS, North Carolina A&T- Louisiana Monroe
SGAustin Patterson6'3'' 205Jr/Second Time/1EWofford-Montana
SGQadry Adams6'4'' 190JR/UG/1E--(3-25)
  • Arrivals:
SGEmmit Neal Jr6'5'' 200Sr. /UG/1EIdaho

Weber State
  • Departures: 4
PGCole Lake5'11'' 175Jr./UG/1E (WO)--(3/22)
SFChris Dokery6'6'' 185Fr./UG/3E
CHandje Tamba6'11'' 230So./UG/2E
SFLouie Jordan6'8''So./UG/2E
PGMiguel TomleyJr./UG/1EIdaho State
CVasilije Vucinic6'10'' 225Jr./UG/1EPortland

Last edited:
One of my favorite threads of the offseason! Nicely done Gf24! I'll have the 24-25 Griz Schedule Tracker up in the coming days after we learn the fate of our team tonight!

I think the Griz have some serious work to do in the portal. Losing all 5 starters is not ideal. I'm not dead set on the idea that Whitney is gonna return next year. I'm kind of leaning towards he's not but I guess we'll see. If he does leave, then we definitely need to get a point guard. Money could probably run the point if need be, but I think he's more suited in the 2, and I don't think Chase Henderson is a starter yet. My guess is he'll be the 6th man.

We're also gonna need at least 1 big man if not 2 of them out of the portal. I like Sawyer and there's no doubt he'll be the starter next year, but I don't think Blake Jones is a long term solution. We need another guy to counteract Sawyer, ideally somebody a couple inches taller, similar to Oke.

I think we could see upwards of 5 guys brought in out of the portal. We've got Jeremiah Dargan coming out of JUCO who looks like he could be our replacement for Moody as his 3 point numbers this season look really good. I know they're also super high on Tyler Thompson, and I am too. I think that kids a baller and could end up being a starter. All I know is the portal opens on Monday and the staff better get busy.

I have some technical glitches/issues to work through to post it on the main database... but it appears we have our first entrys into the portal:

PG- Dejour Reaves (JR) 2E - Northern Colorado
PG- Kolton Mitchell (FR-RS) 3E- Idaho State

I have some technical glitches/issues to work through to post it on the main database... but it appears we have our first entrys into the portal:

PG- Dejour Reaves (JR) 2E - Northern Colorado
PG- Kolton Mitchell (FR-RS) 3E- Idaho State
I thought the portal didn't open until Monday. Have they just made it known that they are going into the portal?

Also, Reaves is a big loss for UNC. I'm fully expecting Saint Thomas to jump in the portal too

I went off the NCAA dates that were posted in regard to the window. You can declare your intent prior to, but I still don't players or schools are allowed to interact until Monday when the window opens.

I really think this year is going to be wild since our friend from MSU won that injunction to play at WVU. So no limit on transfers right now. Last year the numbers were almost identical to the prior two years. I think we could see north of 2,500 players this year.

In this case it does open up for players like Saint Thomas from NC, Cedric Coward from Eastern who had already transferred once.

I doubt this happens, but Koren Johnson entered the portal from Washington. He fits a need for next year in a number of ways.

He is going to garner a ton of interest, but he's a player that Travis recruited hard and offered back in 2020. It is a long shot, but a guy can dream.

This year is the most restricted window for transferring. It will be interesting to see how it works out with this 2 month period. There are already over 100 available guys in the D1 portal and 3x that in the D11 portal. Most of those are guys who are grad transfers or had problems with their coaches.

I feel that the first week or so will be players who are entering for upgrades or playing time. Player choice sorts of situations. Look for as many as 100+ per day at first. After a brief period of those sorts entering, then we will start to see a mix of player and coach motivated entries. Toward the end of the open period, it will be mostly coaches sending players into the portal to make room for incoming guys. As usual, many of those players will either be transferring down or completely out of basketball.

One interesting dynamic that happens during this madness is that some very good HS talent is still out there to be recruited. Buckle up, we are in it tomorrow.

Good job by Frank Gogola catching this one on Twitter. Pepperdine Guard Malik Moore appears to have been contacted by the Griz. Averaged 9ppg and he's a little bit bigger guard at 6'5. He's also 37% from behind the arc. He has 2 years remaining. This would be a good pickup for the Griz and based off his interest list, I'd say we have a shot!

Idaho State's second and third string guys are migrating quite quickly into the portal today. 5 total. Arrington and Brown are going to garner a ton of interest. Brown was hurt and only played 10 games this year, but had a great Freshman year.

North of 400 D1 Players entered the portal today. That may be a record for one day. Some were highly contributing members of their teams and others not so much. There were a few in that bunch who are sure bet high major players, but many will be dropping down or moving laterally. One interesting aspect that I observed from some twitter feeds is that players are now hiring agents to negotiate the terms of their NIL deals and the recruiting process. Not sure where all of this will end.

Day #1 Wrap Up:

- Prior to yesterday there was around 180 players in the portal, we are now up over 400 at the end of the day yesterday.

- Idaho State and Sacramento State lost some key cogs yesterday. Arrington, Mitchell have departed from ISU and both are going to get a lot of interest from Big Sky Schools. Mitchell I do think possessed two scholarship offers by the day ended (Idaho/Weber State). Arrington is going to get interest from Big Sky schools as well as MWC/Group of 5 schools. I even believe he had reported feelers from some lower level power 5 conference schools. Duncan Powell wasn't apart of the SSU squad at the end of the year, but Patterson was. They'll miss the Wofford transfer who is departing after 1 year.

Because of post-season (Montana/UNC in the CBI, EWU in NIT, and MSU in the NCAA) I think we'll see less movement this week from a conference as a whole.

- I'd expect some more today. Most BSC teams have averaged around 2-3 players in the portal every year since I tracked this, and we didn't see much from NAU and Idaho yesterday.

Day #1 Wrap Up:

- Prior to yesterday there was around 180 players in the portal, we are now up over 400 at the end of the day yesterday.

- Idaho State and Sacramento State lost some key cogs yesterday. Arrington, Mitchell have departed from ISU and both are going to get a lot of interest from Big Sky Schools. Mitchell I do think possessed two scholarship offers by the day ended (Idaho/Weber State). Arrington is going to get interest from Big Sky schools as well as MWC/Group of 5 schools. I even believe he had reported feelers from some lower level power 5 conference schools. Duncan Powell wasn't apart of the SSU squad at the end of the year, but Patterson was. They'll miss the Wofford transfer who is departing after 1 year.

Because of post-season (Montana/UNC in the CBI, EWU in NIT, and MSU in the NCAA) I think we'll see less movement this week from a conference as a whole.

- I'd expect some more today. Most BSC teams have averaged around 2-3 players in the portal every year since I tracked this, and we didn't see much from NAU and Idaho yesterday.
I don't think Eastern is playing in the NIT. I'm pretty sure they called it a year

I just sort of assumed they were. I didn't pay attention.

Now that I remember it, I did read the auto-bid for conference champs who didn't qualify for the NCAA was removed. I just thought it was starting in the 2024-25 season. That would explain their absence a bit as its probably not a cost the AD wants to incur.

Back