• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL 2024 Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker

Nowell may end up being a good player for PSU, who knows. It would concern me that this is his third school and he has dropped down a notch with each transfer. Maybe he has found his level, maybe he has not. It is not a sure bet. I will wait and see before I call aything on this one. Shooting splits, 35, 23, 80. Averaged 2ppg, 1.8rpg at UNLV.
I see your point, but I think we need to stop being concerned with the 3rd school. With the portal, the Covid year and unlimited transfers it’s not necessarily the red flag it once was. Moody was on his 3rd school at Montana and Parker was on his 3rd school at PSU and each had record breaking years. Tomley will be at his 3rd school at Weber this year.

It may not be a sure a thing, rarely anything is, but if I had to take a chance, I surely would rather fail with a guy like this than an NAIA or D-2 guy.

I see your point, but I think we need to stop being concerned with the 3rd school. With the portal, the Covid year and unlimited transfers it’s not necessarily the red flag it once was. Moody was on his 3rd school at Montana and Parker was on his 3rd school at PSU and each had record breaking years. Tomley will be at his 3rd school at Weber this year.

It may not be a sure a thing, rarely anything is, but if I had to take a chance, I surely would rather fail with a guy like this than an NAIA or D-2 guy.
But you dont understand....3rd year at Weber is a whole different situation than any other school....They do their homework and no other school does it like they do...Am I not correct Olds?

I don't have anything agaist 2nd or 3rd transfer guys. I do care some about why they are transferring and whether they are moving up, down or laterally. I feel that all coaching staffs do their homework on guys they are bringing in. Some coaches accept things that other coaches will not. At Weber, our coaches have turned away from some guys that I thought were very good players. Then later I see those guys having really good careers at othe places. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating.

Weber got a commitment today to fill the last spot on our team. Can't give you a name. They won't have an announcement until they have the signed paper in front of them. We will likely have an anouncement in the next few days.

I have heard that both UM and MSU were in on Mr. Burris. It will be interesting to see how that goes.
Oh you totally duped us the whole time 😂

Burris just committed to Weber. At least he didn’t go to msu. As much as I would’ve loved to have him at UM, I felt like with only 1 spot remaining, we probably needed somebody bigger than Burris any way. Regardless, Weber did well in the portal getting Tomley and Burris. I think the preseason top 3 (in no particular order) will be Griz, cats, Weber

Honestly, there are some really good 4s and 5s in the portal right now. I don't think it is absolutely needed to have a true center. As long as you have adequate rim protection from your 4s and good rebounding support from everyone, you can be very good with only 4s on your team. Some realy good 4s just came out of SDSU and SJS. There are still some good prospects in the JC ranks as well. It's not time to panic.

Here is the final transfer counts for Weber.

Outgoing: 5
Cole Lake 5'11'' PG, WO 1E
Arnaud Revaz 6'10'' PF/C 1E
Handje Tamba 6'11'' C 2E
Louie Jordan 6'8'' F/G 2E
Chris Dockery 6'6'' G 3E

Incoming: 3
Vasilije Vucinic 6'11'' C 1E
Nigel Burris 6'7'' PF, 2E
Miguel Tomley 6'3'' CG 1E

Looks like another solid pickup for UNC. IDK how Steve Smyley does it, but I must admit, he's probably the best portal recruiter in the conference
I agree. Steve was an impressive recruiter at Weber for the short time he was with us. He has an impressive basketball mind and is very personable when you meet him. I knew he would be a great head coach and was sorry to see him leave. He has what I call the coaches eye. He sees the little things that make good players and he knows how to play to his player's strengths.

Back