• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

And the new head coach of the Lady Griz is...

Hoops watcher said:
gotgame75 said:
That's exactly where I'm at. Holzinger is definitely more than qualified to turn the program around, but on the other hand I'm fairly surprised it wasn't Campbell. It just seemed to me that Campbell's resume is undeniable.

I understand those who really value Holzinger's MT connection, but that aspect is relatively minor in my valuation of a coach. To me, if you can recruit the top 2 picks in the WNBA draft, you can recruit ANYWHERE, whether its in Barcelona or Wibaux.

On that note, I think it's interesting how reticent U of M is to hire coaches for their major athletic programs that don't have some direct connection to Montana. I don't think I've noticed this phenomenon to the same extent anywhere else.

I thought Campbell was the guy if they want to raise the bar, but maybe the deciders thought he would be more apt to move on to a better program if he was successful. Just spitballing, maybe someone in the know has an answer. Wider recruiting connections were needed either way, so I'm liking that.

Maybe Campbell had warts or other issues.

Is the new coach going to cut players to make room for his transfer portal “upgrades”?

Will MT women and Native Americans still get good opportunity to play at UM?

Will the Lady Griz fans, many of whom are older, come back after missing a year and with the new program?

I assume the new coach will want to hire
Jordan, for continuity.

I hope the existing players react well to the new coach. The non-star or established players are probably nervous. I wonder if some players might follow Petrino, sooner or later.

These things concern me. Hopefully, it turns out to be a good move and not a big mess.

WATCH - Montana Lady Griz Hoops - Brian Holsinger introduced as new UM head coach
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-lady-griz-hoops-brian-holsinger-introduced-as-new-um-head-coach/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7igjMy0fnRo

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1382763865700671489

PlayerRep said:
Were the LG expected to sign anyone today? I haven't been following the recruiting.

Not sure there will be any signings for the Lady Griz this spring. There were 15 players on the roster. Hanna left and Madi Schoening is a senior. 2 high school players (Dani Bartsch and Haley Huard) signed LOI in the fall signing period, so would replace Hanna and Schoening. But Schoening may be able to come back another year but do not know if she will. Not sure if any of the players that are on the roster are walk-ons. But it appears to me that all the scholarships are taken for next year unless some existing players leave the team.

TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Were the LG expected to sign anyone today? I haven't been following the recruiting.

Not sure there will be any signings for the Lady Griz this spring. There were 15 players on the roster. Hanna left and Madi Schoening is a senior. 2 high school players (Dani Bartsch and Haley Huard) signed LOI in the fall signing period, so would replace Hanna and Schoening. But Schoening may be able to come back another year but do not know if she will. Not sure if any of the players that are on the roster are walk-ons. But it appears to me that all the scholarships are taken for next year unless some existing players leave the team.

Madi is graduating and taking a job teaching and coaching in her hometown of Sandpoint.

maroonandsilver said:
TrueGriz said:

Madi is graduating and taking a job teaching and coaching in her hometown of Sandpoint.
Good to know. The recruiting Hollinger will be doing will be keeping the players we already have from leaving, the 2 new recruits that signed in the fall from getting out of their commitment, in addition to keeping the verbal commitment from Mya Hanson of Billings Central who was named Maxpreps player of the year. She should be signing up this coming fall.

TrueGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
Good to know. The recruiting Hollinger will be doing will be keeping the players we already have from leaving, the 2 new recruits that signed in the fall from getting out of their commitment, in addition to keeping the verbal commitment from Mya Hanson of Billings Central who was named Maxpreps player of the year. She should be signing up this coming fall.

I’ll be curious which assistant or two stays. I think at least one should be retained to help do these things. Sounds like Petrino won’t be staying.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
WATCH - Montana Lady Griz Hoops - Brian Holsinger introduced as new UM head coach
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-lady-griz-hoops-brian-holsinger-introduced-as-new-um-head-coach/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7igjMy0fnRo

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1382763865700671489

The new coach comes across very well in the portion I watched. Nice guy, excited, connections to MT, and has had a good appreciation of the LG hoops program for a long time.

maroonandsilver said:
TrueGriz said:

Thx to both of you.

Latest posts

Back