• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bannon

Grizfan-24 said:
Travis's job shouldn't be in jeopardy. No matter how many 'big dollar' boosters have serious qualms with how Travis goes about things. I have heard endless blabber over the past few years in and out of this forum about Travis this, and Travis that. He's been more successful here, in any metric and in the Big Sky conference than just about any coach in BSC history.

Josh Bannan was always going to have pro opportunities in Australia whether it was last year this year or next year. From what I gather is that this decision wasn't a haphazard choice, but something the staff was very aware of could and probably would happen. There was hope that he would see out his college career here, but when push came to shove the ability to go pro and do it in Australia was probably an offer or an opportunity he couldn't refuse. Best of luck to Josh.

On paper right now, it hurts to lose a first team all conference player, but the roster is hardly slim pickings:

C: Laolu Oke
PF: Di. Thomas
SF: Jaxon Nap
SG: Aannen Moody
PG: Brandon Whitney
6: Josh Vasquez (G)
6: Isaiah Kerr (G)
6: Money Williams (G)
7: Zack Davidson (PF)
7: Do Thomas (SG)
7: Chase Henderson (PG)

That may not be top 2 on paper but it isn't bottom 2 either. That is a pretty athletic group and flexible group.

Judging by who the Griz are after in the portal they seem to be into the market for a bigger scoring wing. Some of their early targets have had a ton of Power 5 interest (Tonje- Missouri Verbal), McMillan (GCU), Williams (Nevada). They seem to be in on some posts as well. They contacted the NAIA player of the year from Jamestown State (So has the rest of the BSC), Graham Ike (Wyoming), likely reaching out to Dischon Jackson (WSU), Jack Wilson (WSU) and Jackson Grant (UW).

MacMillian would be a real coup if they get him (offered in HS), but odds on he ends up at a MWC or Pac12 school and the same with Williams (also an offer from HS). Jackson, Grant, Wilson all fit guys that Travis has had prior relationships with, bigs.

If they are able to find a perimeter scoring wing and add some post depth, this will still be a very formidable team to deal with next year. Just my two cents.

Rhett Reynolds should not be overlooked.

GrizPony said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Travis's job shouldn't be in jeopardy. No matter how many 'big dollar' boosters have serious qualms with how Travis goes about things. I have heard endless blabber over the past few years in and out of this forum about Travis this, and Travis that. He's been more successful here, in any metric and in the Big Sky conference than just about any coach in BSC history.

Josh Bannan was always going to have pro opportunities in Australia whether it was last year this year or next year. From what I gather is that this decision wasn't a haphazard choice, but something the staff was very aware of could and probably would happen. There was hope that he would see out his college career here, but when push came to shove the ability to go pro and do it in Australia was probably an offer or an opportunity he couldn't refuse. Best of luck to Josh.

On paper right now, it hurts to lose a first team all conference player, but the roster is hardly slim pickings:

C: Laolu Oke
PF: Di. Thomas
SF: Jaxon Nap
SG: Aannen Moody
PG: Brandon Whitney
6: Josh Vasquez (G)
6: Isaiah Kerr (G)
6: Money Williams (G)
7: Zack Davidson (PF)
7: Do Thomas (SG)
7: Chase Henderson (PG)

That may not be top 2 on paper but it isn't bottom 2 either. That is a pretty athletic group and flexible group.

Judging by who the Griz are after in the portal they seem to be into the market for a bigger scoring wing. Some of their early targets have had a ton of Power 5 interest (Tonje- Missouri Verbal), McMillan (GCU), Williams (Nevada). They seem to be in on some posts as well. They contacted the NAIA player of the year from Jamestown State (So has the rest of the BSC), Graham Ike (Wyoming), likely reaching out to Dischon Jackson (WSU), Jack Wilson (WSU) and Jackson Grant (UW).

MacMillian would be a real coup if they get him (offered in HS), but odds on he ends up at a MWC or Pac12 school and the same with Williams (also an offer from HS). Jackson, Grant, Wilson all fit guys that Travis has had prior relationships with, bigs.

If they are able to find a perimeter scoring wing and add some post depth, this will still be a very formidable team to deal with next year. Just my two cents.

Rhett Reynolds should not be overlooked.

I don't think so either. I had him penciled in when I first typed the post and remembered that we had Oke returning and forgot to slot him in the reserves. Wouldn't surprise me in the least, that minus no transfer post, that Reynolds is a starter in the post.

C: Laolu Oke. NON SCORER. IN THE MAC ANDERSON MOLD BUT BETTER AROUND BASKET
PF: Di. Thomas STREAKEY NOT ALWAYS SHOWS UP
SF: Jaxon Nap HAS YET TO PROVE HIMSELF BUT POTENTIAL
SG: Aannen Moody. POTENTIAL FOR 15/18 PPG
PG: Brandon Whitney. INCONSISTENT & SMALL FOR A PG
6: Josh Vasquez (G). INCONSISTENT BUT GOOD DEFENDER
6: Isaiah Kerr (G). ?
6: Money Williams (G). ?
7: Zack Davidson (PF). ?
7: Do Thomas (SG). ?
7: Chase Henderson (PG). ?
REYNOLDS. STILL NEEDS ANOTHER YEAR TO DEVELOP

True we do need a big in the middle who can score and has an attitude. Other than that I see us middle of the pack, 5th or 6th and one and done in conference tournament. Am I being overly negative, probably but I’d like to see this team prove me wrong.
Another so so year and I can see attendance dropping below 3,000 or even 2,500. Sad state of affairs considering when we were the cats meow. Look around the court during home games and see all the old season ticket holders in their 60’s & 70’s who will be cashing it in. I have a friend who had season tickets since 1977 but gave them up this year because he became frustrated with the teams and coaches performance. I hope to hell I’m wrong but that’s the way I see it.

Josh, Thanks for the effort you gave to UM and the thrills you gave us fans, and good luck in whatever you do down the road.

I'd also like to give a huge Thank You to Josh Bannan. Over three years he gave everything he had in practice, on the floor, and as a representative of the Montana Griz. At the same time, he was equally outstanding in the classroom, as his recent placement on the College Sports Communicators Academic All-American team for men's basketball (his second consecutive award) illustrates. https://gogriz.com/news/2023/3/14/mens-basketball-bannan-named-academic-all-american-for-second-straight-year

I wish you the best, Mr. Bannan.
Josh's twitter post and additional comments in the Missoulian regarding coach DeCuire, assistants Jay Flores and Chris Cobb, his teammates and the Missoula community also illustrate the individual he is. Josh Bannan was an exemplary representative of the University of Montana.

There is one thing that disturbs me regarding this... that no acknowledgement or thanks to Josh from GoGriz. There IS a story in the Missoulian, but no quotes from coaches regarding Josh is evident.

There IS an excellent, lengthy story and interview with Josh by Kyle Hansen at KPAX. Link here: https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-grizzlies/griz-for-life-josh-bannan-opens-up-about-time-at-montana-decision-to-chase-pro-basketball-dream

I sincerely hope that some official public thanks to Josh from UM has been published.

I have made some EDITS regarding my original post. Good to hear regarding coach Cobb's post on Twitter.

grizzlyjournal said:
I'd also like to give a huge Thank You to Josh Bannan. Over three years he gave everything he had in practice, on the floor, and as a representative of the Montana Griz. At the same time, he was equally outstanding in the classroom, as his recent placement on the College Sports Communicators Academic All-American team for men's basketball (his second consecutive award) illustrates. https://gogriz.com/news/2023/3/14/mens-basketball-bannan-named-academic-all-american-for-second-straight-year

I wish you the best, Mr. Bannan.
Josh's twitter post and additional comments in the Missoulian regarding coach DeCuire, assistants Jay Flores and Chris Cobb, his teammates and the Missoula community also illustrate the individual he is. Josh Bannan was an exemplary representative of the University of Montana.

There is one thing that disturbs me regarding this... that no acknowledgement or thanks to Josh from GoGriz or the Missoulian or from the coaches is evident. I haven't checked KPAX or Skyline Sports, but I sincerely hope that some official public thanks to Josh has been published.

I did see Coach Cobb thanked JB on Twitter and Josh thanked him for being a great coach. There could be others but I haven't seen them.

Looking at what posters said about Bannon, I ran across this post by PR on Dec. 3, 2020:

"Bannan is going to turn into an all-time Griz great."

Journal was positive on Bannan when he committed. A few other posters were genially positive going into the season.

Sport said:
C: Laolu Oke. NON SCORER. IN THE MAC ANDERSON MOLD BUT BETTER AROUND BASKET
PF: Di. Thomas STREAKEY NOT ALWAYS SHOWS UP
SF: Jaxon Nap HAS YET TO PROVE HIMSELF BUT POTENTIAL
SG: Aannen Moody. POTENTIAL FOR 15/18 PPG
PG: Brandon Whitney. INCONSISTENT & SMALL FOR A PG
6: Josh Vasquez (G). INCONSISTENT BUT GOOD DEFENDER
6: Isaiah Kerr (G). ?
6: Money Williams (G). ?
7: Zack Davidson (PF). ?
7: Do Thomas (SG). ?
7: Chase Henderson (PG). ?
REYNOLDS. STILL NEEDS ANOTHER YEAR TO DEVELOP

True we do need a big in the middle who can score and has an attitude. Other than that I see us middle of the pack, 5th or 6th and one and done in conference tournament. Am I being overly negative, probably but I’d like to see this team prove me wrong.
Another so so year and I can see attendance dropping below 3,000 or even 2,500. Sad state of affairs considering when we were the cats meow. Look around the court during home games and see all the old season ticket holders in their 60’s & 70’s who will be cashing it in. I have a friend who had season tickets since 1977 but gave them up this year because he became frustrated with the teams and coaches performance. I hope to hell I’m wrong but that’s the way I see it.

roster definitely needs some work.
1. athletic slashing wing
2. B2B scorer or a Pick & Pop undersized big who can guard down & move to the 3 if need be
3. PG who can consistently hit a catch & shoot 3 (maybe one of the freshman guards can do that but idk)

mthoopsfan said:
Looking at what posters said about Bannon, I ran across this post by PR on Dec. 3, 2020:

Journal was positive on Bannan when he committed. A few other posters were genially positive going into the season.

I don’t recall posting that, but thanks for finding my posts.

PeauxRouge said:
mthoopsfan said:

I don’t recall posting that, but thanks for finding my posts.

:lol:

Onword & Upward Mr. Bannon - It was a treat watching you progress these past 3 years. All the best to you in your future!

Latest posts

Back