• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beasley in Portal

info said:
sacstateman said:
The BigWest conference has won 4 NCAA tournament games since 2014....The BigSky's last victory was in 1995.....I hate UC Davis but their conference could arguably be better than the BSC.....I think Beasley will be fine there as their coach, Jim Les, likes outside shooters at the guard position...

Griz won in 2004 against Nevada.

2006, actually.

I understand why some players leave for more playing time, or leave a bad situation, but I don't understand why someone with good playing time leaves his teammates, his close friends, the others he's met at his school, the girls, and his school. College is huge fun, and lifetime friends are made. For many of us, it's a place we return over and over all of our life. it seems short-sighted to me.

mthoopsfan said:
I understand why some players leave for more playing time, or leave a bad situation, but I don't understand why someone with good playing time leaves his teammates, his close friends, the others he's met at his school, the girls, and his school. College is huge fun, and lifetime friends are made. For many of us, it's a place we return over and over all of our life. it seems short-sighted to me.

Maybe his college experience at UM wasn't exactly like yours.

Your post seems short-sighted to me.

mthoopsfan said:

For what it is worth, probably very little, I heard that he just wasn't having fun. It seems that Cam and he were not really enjoying playing here and decided that they were in need of a change of scenery.

Perhaps of more urgency (to the Griz) is what is the point guard situation for the upcoming season? Beasley and Parker are point guards. Does the extra Covid related Anderson scholarship mean one is still available for a transfer point guard?

GrizWhiz said:
Perhaps of more urgency (to the Griz) is what is the point guard situation for the upcoming season? Beasley and Parker are point guards. Does the extra Covid related Anderson scholarship mean one is still available for a transfer point guard?
I have no idea if a scholarship is available. Cross your fingers for Isaiah Kerr

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Yes, if he didn't like playing, didn't like his teammates, didn't have any close friends, hadn't met many other people, didn't have a group of female friends or a girlfriend, and didn't like UM, then his college experience was different than mine. Do you suppose it's all going to start happening for him at Portland St?

What's short-sighted about my post? I described the college experience that many people have.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:

Yes, if he didn't like playing, didn't like his teammates, didn't have any close friends, hadn't met many other people, didn't have a group of female friends or a girlfriend, and didn't like UM, then his college experience was different than mine. Do you suppose it's all going to start happening for him at Portland St?

What's short-sighted about my post? I described the college experience that many people have.

Maybe things will start happening for him at UC Davis....that's where he's transferring to!

I doubt much will start happening for him at Portland State.

Davis lists 4 guards as starters, 3 soph and 1 junior. The starters got most of the minutes and points. 3 starters with more than 30 minutes. The 6th leading scorer was a guard, and soph. Another guard appears to have started earlier in the season. He's also a soph. I didn't check to see who's in the portal.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats

mthoopsfan said:
Davis lists 4 guards as starters, 3 soph and 1 junior. The starters got most of the minutes and points. 3 starters with more than 30 minutes. The 6th leading scorer was a guard, and soph. Another guard appears to have started earlier in the season. He's also a soph. I didn't check to see who's in the portal.

I think he has a pretty clear path to the starting PG spot. Their best player and PG Ezra Manjon is in the portal. According to KenPom he played 85% of the time. The other guards are either SG or not as good as Beasley.

GrizBall said:
mthoopsfan said:

I think he has a pretty clear path to the starting PG spot. Their best player and PG Ezra Manjon is in the portal. According to KenPom he played 85% of the time. The other guards are either SG or not as good as Beasley.

If Davis wanted a point guard, they should have taken Parker. 145 assists to 66 TO. 52% shooting. 36% from 3. 9 point average. Beasley was 57 to 48 in assists to TO. Shot 39% and 37%. 15 point average. The departing point guard played 34 minutes and shot 43% and 20% (only 8 made 3's). Assists to TO were 81 to 62. I wonder why the Davis point guard is leaving. I guess to go to Vanderbilt.

An article has different stats for him: "The 5-foot-11 guard averaged 13.9 points, 3.6 assists, and 3.1 rebounds over three seasons for the Aggies, while shooting 43.7 percent from the field and 27.6 percent from three-point range."

I didn't check earlier in the Beasley thread, so this could have been previously noted: Former Montana men's assistant coach Jonathan Metzger-Jones has been an assistant at Cal Davis since moving on from Montana. Always really liked Jono.

Looks Like Robby has transferred to USF to play with his brother. Seems like a cool experience for the brothers and family.

https://usfdons.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

GrizBall said:
Looks Like Robby has transferred to USF to play with his brother. Seems like a cool experience for the brothers and family.

https://usfdons.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

I see their BIOs are almost as good as ours.

Back