• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz Defense Ever!

Best Defense Ever & Why?

Votes: 8 12.1%

Votes: 19 28.8%

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Special H said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

95 hands down 2001 is a very distant second place. The 2007 team had a better defense than this year maybe 2009

2007 team would have won another NC if we had a QB. Hauck never has marginally good QBs he has very average game managers.

FCS was a lot better back then top to bottom. The Big Sky is a weak conference but the teams over all were better back in the 90s now all we have is 1 or 2 good teams and the rest like Idaho, No Colorado, Southern Utah and Montana State.
Yeah, that 3-3-5 defense we run is a real handicap for us. It's only setting records right and left. The weak BSC has 4 of the top 8 ranked teams.

kemajic said:
The 2021 defense has done it all year so far. The 1995 defense got it together in the playoffs and particularly the NC game. But they also benefited from an outstanding offense that could keep them off the field and they gave up a lot of points during the season. A luxury this 2021 defense has yet to enjoy. Looking at fundamentals, this 2021 defense looks better to me. Better than any I've seen. BH said the same thing in the presser.

i think the '96 defense was maybe better than the '95 defense, at least until it ran into randy moss... the current defense is probably better than both, or at least a lot faster. as someone else noted, the downside is that the competition now has been significantly watered down compared to previous years. many of the best teams that were in the fcs have gone to fbs, and other than ndsu, not too many newcomers have upped their game since coming up to fcs from d-ii (if i'm wrong, please correct me!).

anyway, the bsc having 4 of the top ten teams (ewu was essentially seeded #9) sounds good, but...

Htowngriz said:
Special H said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

95 hands down 2001 is a very distant second place. The 2007 team had a better defense than this year maybe 2009

2007 team would have won another NC if we had a QB. Hauck never has marginally good QBs he has very average game managers.

FCS was a lot better back then top to bottom. The Big Sky is a weak conference but the teams over all were better back in the 90s now all we have is 1 or 2 good teams and the rest like Idaho, No Colorado, Southern Utah and Montana State.
Didn't the judge tell you not to post here anymore, Alpo?
I am growler according to everyone else. :roll: Anything but football I guess

I have never witnessed a faster or harder hitting Griz D. than this year's. We have had some great individuals on those other squads but never as many as we have on the 2021-22 team. A real pleasure to observe and applaud these players. Can hardly wait for the third of Dec.

THE BETCH said:
I have never witnessed a faster or harder hitting Griz D. than this year's. We have had some great individuals on those other squads but never as many as we have on the 2021-22 team. A real pleasure to observe and applaud these players. Can hardly wait for the third of Dec.

Jimmy Wilson, kieth Thompson, and colt Anderson are still the hardest hitters I’ve seen play for UM. I don’t think some of their hits would be ok anymore though.

Damn tough poll.

My heart says the "95 D because they were the/my first NC, and were up against what everyone said was an insurmountable foe. BUT, they also had DD and his offensive prowess, who pulled them through, especially on the last drive.

The 2001 team just totally surprised me with their run through the playoffs and the NC. I remember turning to my son at the end and we both said, "This team won a NC??"

BUUUUUUT, I had to vote for 2021. This D has the most overall team speed, nastiness, and depth, from front to back, I have ever seen. Also, they have been put in uncountable difficult situations this year by the offense and, most times, just came back in and kicked ass. Even before the playoffs, which will be a severe test, I have to give them the nod.

argh! said:
kemajic said:
The 2021 defense has done it all year so far. The 1995 defense got it together in the playoffs and particularly the NC game. But they also benefited from an outstanding offense that could keep them off the field and they gave up a lot of points during the season. A luxury this 2021 defense has yet to enjoy. Looking at fundamentals, this 2021 defense looks better to me. Better than any I've seen. BH said the same thing in the presser.

i think the '96 defense was maybe better than the '95 defense, at least until it ran into randy moss... the current defense is probably better than both, or at least a lot faster. as someone else noted, the downside is that the competition now has been significantly watered down compared to previous years. many of the best teams that were in the fcs have gone to fbs, and other than ndsu, not too many newcomers have upped their game since coming up to fcs from d-ii (if i'm wrong, please correct me!).

anyway, the bsc having 4 of the top ten teams (ewu was essentially seeded #9) sounds good, but...

Actually Eastern is really seeded 11th

argh! said:
kemajic said:

Actually Eastern is really seeded 11th

kemajic said:
Special H said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

Yeah, that 3-3-5 defense we run is a real handicap for us. It's only setting records right and left. The weak BSC has 4 of the top 8 ranked teams.

20 years ago when we were relevant, only one BSC team would have been in the top 25. Elite programs have moved up, Georgia Southern, App St, UMass, Boise St, Nevada, etc. Hell even Idaho had a decent team every few years back then. Point being that now, the current FCS is Ndsu and everyone else is playing for 2nd place. If you cut out Ndsu there isnt one team that would be ranked in the top 10 20 years ago.

The league is watered down and there is no cream outside of Ndsu.

What’s the point of being band if you can just grab a new name and keep posting?

How many user names can one guy have? 5,10,20

Never gets creative. Same old drool.

What a joke.

Until they win a national title they can't be considered the best defense at Montana. The 2001 defense basically got a shut out in the national title game. So I'd have to say they are better and the 1995 defense was pretty dominant in the playoffs. This year's defense is great but without a national championship can't claim to be the best.

Special H said:
Htowngriz said:
Didn't the judge tell you not to post here anymore, Alpo?
I am growler according to everyone else. :roll: Anything but football I guess

There’s the confirmation. Gonna claim hunt-ducks as a Dill impersonator while you’re at it, or just leave that one as a huuuuge mystery?

Back