• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Broken Brackets NCAA Tourney

The beat goes on. The disrespected (all season) Pac-12 now has three teams in the Sweet Sixteen. UCLA beat the stuffings out of Abilene Christian, 67-47. It was almost comical watching the ACU inside guys trying to compete with the Bruin bigs.

Given the results so far I got to wondering if there has ever been a perfect bracket picked on the losing side of things? It occurs to me that it might be every bit as difficult to pick every loser as it is to pick every winner!
Despite protestations to the contrary, this country has a long history of rewarding mediocrity. There should be some sort of compensation for anyone who picks a perfect losing bracket!

Gaeilge1 said:
Given the results so far I got to wondering if there has ever been a perfect bracket picked on the losing side of things? It occurs to me that it might be every bit as difficult to pick every loser as it is to pick every winner!
Despite protestations to the contrary, this country has a long history of rewarding mediocrity. There should be some sort of compensation for anyone who picks a perfect losing bracket!

I see where you are going with that but statistically it would be easier since you’d only be picking the first 32 games. If you picked all 32 losers, great, there are no games for them to play after that. 👍

As expected, Maryland got buried by Alabama, 96-77. Still, Michigan at least gave the Big Ten one team in the Sweet Sixteen by knocking off LSU.

As noted earlier, UCLA won, but Colorado lost (badly) to Florida State. Right now USC is leading Kansas by 19 with less than 16 min left in the game. That holds up, the Pac-12 would end up with four of the Sweet Sixteen. So much for the "experts."

IdaGriz01 said:
As expected, Maryland got buried by Alabama, 96-77. Still, Michigan at least gave the Big Ten one team in the Sweet Sixteen by knocking off LSU.

As noted earlier, UCLA won, but Colorado lost (badly) to Florida State. Right now USC is leading Kansas by 19 with less than 16 min left in the game. That holds up, the Pac-12 would end up with four of the Sweet Sixteen. So much for the "experts."

all those gaudy seeds for the Big-10....Pfffffffttttt….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How the conferences fared for the Sweet Sixteen:
American . . . 1 of 2 bids made it
Atlantic Coast . . . 2 of 7
Atlantic-10 . . . 0 of 2 (one out by COVID)*
Big-12 . . . 1 of 7
Big East . . . 2 of 4
Big Ten . . . 1 of 9
MVC . . . 1 of 2
Mt West . . . 0 of 2*
Pac-12 . . . 4 of 5
SEC . . . 2 of 6
Summit . . . 1 of 1**
West Coast . . . 1 of 2

* Included these for comparison to other multi-bid conferences.
** For obvious reasons, I did not include any of the other one-bid conferences that are long gone.

Besides the obvious disaster for the Big Ten, two points jump out.

First, the “experts” have bad-mouthed the Pac-12 all year long. Yet there they are with four teams out of their five bids. Of course, with 4 spots out of 16, it was pretty much inevitable that two would meet in the next round: thus, either Oregon or USC will get bumped.

Another “expert” take was that the Big-12 was also a big deal. That was shown by the fact that five of their seven bids were seeded #4 or better. Yet only Baylor is left. (Along those lines, note that five of nine Big Ten teams were seeded #4 or better.) That's 16 bids (just under a quarter of the field) winnowed down to just two survivors.

Hmmm…

IdaGriz01 said:
How the conferences fared for the Sweet Sixteen:
American . . . 1 of 2 bids made it
Atlantic Coast . . . 2 of 7
Atlantic-10 . . . 0 of 2 (one out by COVID)*
Big-12 . . . 1 of 7
Big East . . . 2 of 4
Big Ten . . . 1 of 9
MVC . . . 1 of 2
Mt West . . . 0 of 2*
Pac-12 . . . 4 of 5
SEC . . . 2 of 6
Summit . . . 1 of 1**
West Coast . . . 1 of 2

* Included these for comparison to other multi-bid conferences.
** For obvious reasons, I did not include any of the other one-bid conferences that are long gone.

Besides the obvious disaster for the Big Ten, two points jump out.

First, the “experts” have bad-mouthed the Pac-12 all year long. Yet there they are with four teams out of their five bids. Of course, with 4 spots out of 16, it was pretty much inevitable that two would meet in the next round: thus, either Oregon or USC will get bumped.

Another “expert” take was that the Big-12 was also a big deal. That was shown by the fact that five of their seven bids were seeded #4 or better. Yet only Baylor is left. (Along those lines, note that five of nine Big Ten teams were seeded #4 or better.) That's 16 bids (just under a quarter of the field) winnowed down to just two survivors.

Hmmm…

The Big 12 was fundamentally flawed this year, almost across the board. I didn't realize they had that many high seeds. At least the majority of their teams made it out of the round of 64 (unlike Big10)… :lol: :lol: :lol:

I heard some sports commentator pontificating about the “unprecedented” number of double-digit seeds that have made it to the Sweet Sixteen. Also, despite the drastic problems caused by the pandemic, others are asserting that this shows how “the mid-majors have finally arrived.” I guess they have to have something to write/talk about.

But it got me to wondering just how different (or not) this year really is. Turns out, it is very different, but not “unprecedented” in the way the guy thought.

FYI: The 2010-2011 season was the last time there were four double-digit seeded teams in the Sweet Sixteen: Marquette, Richmond, VCU, and Florida State. (Hardly a huge influx of mid-majors there, BTW.)

So it's not unprecedented, but he was partly right. On average over the years since then, only about 2 double-digit seeds have made it into the Sweet Sixteen. And in three recent years (2015, 2017, 2019), only one made it.

The second big difference is on the other end. Over that same span since 2010, at least ten -- and often more -- of the Sweet Sixteen teams are seeded #4 or better. So, having only seven this year is certainly outside the norm.

On the other hand, anyone who thinks these differences might signal a trend is just trying to show off.

Talk about a potential busted bracket! The game between #2 seed Alabama and #11 UCLA just went into overtime. 'Bama needed a 3-point buzzer beater to even get into OT. One Hell of a game.

IdaGriz01 said:
Talk about a potential busted bracket! The game between #2 seed Alabama and #11 UCLA just went into overtime. 'Bama needed a 3-point buzzer beater to even get into OT. One Hell of a game.
HOOOLY COW! The Bruins are absolutely blitzing 'Bama in the overtime! :eek: It's now 79-72 with 38 sec left in the OT.

Unless things go absolutely nuts from here, the Pac-12 will slot three teams into the Elite-8. [DONE.]

IdaGriz01 said:
I heard some sports commentator pontificating about the “unprecedented” number of double-digit seeds that have made it to the Sweet Sixteen. Also, despite the drastic problems caused by the pandemic, others are asserting that this shows how “the mid-majors have finally arrived.” I guess they have to have something to write/talk about.

Doubt the printed press is a problem, but the TV guys have to somehow justify their obscene salaries, and their bosses and bosses bosses. Thanks for pointing the real rea$on$.

tourist said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Doubt the printed press is a problem, but the TV guys have to somehow justify their obscene salaries, and their bosses and bosses bosses. Thanks for pointing the real rea$on$.

At what point does a salary become obscene? Would you consider it obscene if YOU made their money?

Asking for a friend...

I'm obviously NOT making an obscene salary. To paraphrase from another saying, 'I can't define obscene, but I know it when I see it.' :lol:

And another ONE bites the dust.

#11 seed UCLA knocked off #1seed Michigan. Close, 51-49, but that's all it takes. So no Big Ten team in the final four. What a crazy year.

Back