• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Brown

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
In an effort to get this back on track. I' just want to the staff to be more creative offensively, to help Brown. Having a consistent offense against Idaho would be nice.
Sometimes I think the staff is providing Brown too much help. Let the kid play. Quit playing to not lose.

:thumb:

behappp said:
kemajic said:
Sometimes I think the staff is providing Brown too much help. Let the kid play. Quit playing to not lose.

Its a shame that this came in this thread that has gone to sh.t
They let the kid open up and he did pretty damn good.
I'm excited to see what he can do next Saturday

The offensive philosophy is certainly not helping Brown. But, the O-line is perhaps the biggest obstacle to his development. Idaho is poor defensive team, but they were still able to pressure Brown on most every throw. It was noticeable to me against Idaho that the few times where Brown had time to set his feet and throw without defenders right on top of him, he made very accurate throws. Of course, part of being a complete QB is to master the ability to throw accurately even when pressured. But, he is young, and has very few starts. My prediction is that he will quickly grow into a very good QB. Another observation from his limited starts is that the few times Rosey called for Brown to roll-out instead of dropping into the pocket, Brown was able to make accurate throws on the run. Why Rosey doesn't call for the roll-out more is beyond me.

I am just so disappointed in the play of our O-line this season. We all thought that our line would be the best we have had in many years, with lots of depth. But they have totally disappointed to date, and now the depth seems to be in question following departures and injuries.

hunt-ducks said:
behappp said:

The offensive philosophy is certainly not helping Brown. But, the O-line is perhaps the biggest obstacle to his development. Idaho is poor defensive team, but they were still able to pressure Brown on most every throw. It was noticeable to me against Idaho that the few times where Brown had time to set his feet and throw without defenders right on top of him, he made very accurate throws. Of course, part of being a complete QB is to master the ability to throw accurately even when pressured. But, he is young, and has very few starts. My prediction is that he will quickly grow into a very good QB. Another observation from his limited starts is that the few times Rosey called for Brown to roll-out instead of dropping into the pocket, Brown was able to make accurate throws on the run. Why Rosey doesn't call for the roll-out more is beyond me.

I am just so disappointed in the play of our O-line this season. We all thought that our line would be the best we have had in many years, with lots of depth. But they have totally disappointed to date, and now the depth seems to be in question following departures and injuries.

Rosey does many things that are beyond me, like run a 170 RB into the middle of the line.

fanofzoo said:
hunt-ducks said:

Rosey does many things that are beyond me, like run a 170 RB into the middle of the line.

Anyone know why Harris didn't play? Is his injury a season-ending one?

hunt-ducks said:
fanofzoo said:

Anyone know why Harris didn't play? Is his injury a season-ending one?

So you ask why he didn't play and then follow up by asking if his injury is season-ending. Must be one of those high ID posts.

hunt-ducks said:
behappp said:

Brown is a better QB on the move. And the O-line looks better when the QB is mobile and not stationary in the pocket (like Brown was most of the Sac game). Realizing Idaho sucks, the O-line looked better this game, but the injuries ARE starting to mount, so we shall see going forward….if Forbes is lost for any significant amount of time that puts us on our 3rd string right guard, with Keinz’s departure and Mallory’s move to center. Not conducive to a good running game, for sure…

fanofzoo said:
On first AND second down. Then throw when they know we have to.

hunt-ducks said:
behappp said:

The OL gets very little help from undersized RBs and TEs that rarely get blocks.

kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
On first AND second down. Then throw when they know we have to.

1st drive: Pass (13), Run (6), Punt
2nd Drive: Run (-5), Pass (INC), Punt
3rd Drive: Pass (10), Pass (13), Punt
4th Drive: Pass (INC), Run (7), TD
5th Drive: Run (5), Pass (INC), TD
6th Drive: Run (3), Pass (-2), FG
7th Drive: Pass (19), Run (3), FG
8th Drive, Run (12), Run (4), Punt
9th Drive: Run (0), Pass (70), TD
10th Drive: Run (5), Pass (INC), Punt
11th Drive: Run (0), Pass (INC), Punt
12th Drive: Run (1), Pass (INC), TD
13th Drive: Run (3), Pass (0), Punt
14th Drive: Pass (7), Pass (21), End of game

So, it appears Rosy mixed it up pretty well in the beginning, only running twice to start drive once the whole day and only running FIRST three times in the first 7 drives. Beginning with the 8th drive, the first play of the next 6 consecutive drives was a running play. One could argue once we were up 20-7 they were trying to shorten the game (classic Bobby), but the final 7 drives produced just 14 points….

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

Brown is a better QB on the move. And the O-line looks better when the QB is mobile and not stationary in the pocket (like Brown was most of the Sac game). Realizing Idaho sucks, the O-line looked better this game, but the injuries ARE starting to mount, so we shall see going forward….if Forbes is lost for any significant amount of time that puts us on our 3rd string right guard, with Keinz’s departure and Mallory’s move to center. Not conducive to a good running game, for sure…

Did you notice, Brown attempted to roll to his left to work on his weakness. He can roll right and throw with accuracy, but to his left? Good to see him work on that.
Starting center goes out and then his backup goes out. Still run the ball off center???
Why is it when Brown rolls out aren't the three tightends there to block for him? Always had Grossman or Elwell out for passes. Seems to me if they protected him, he might be able to throw deep balls to Flowers or Akem with more accuracy?

reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Did you notice, Brown attempted to roll to his left to work on his weakness. He can roll right and throw with accuracy, but to his left? Good to see him work on that.
Starting center goes out and then his backup goes out. Still run the ball off center???
Why is it when Brown rolls out aren't the three tightends there to block for him? Always had Grossman or Elwell out for passes. Seems to me if they protected him, he might be able to throw deep balls to Flowers or Akem with more accuracy?

Most QBs have trouble throwing while rolling to their left, if they are right-handed. Few are ever good at it. I still wonder why we don't have quick slant patterns to Akem. That dude is huge, and Brown is very accurate on this type of throws. The best thing is that the ball is delivered quickly (within 1 1/2 seconds, negating much of the problems our line has in blocking for longer routes. Additionally, why don't we utilize a traditional screen pass to our RB, with the O-linemen allowing the rushers to get by, then rolling out to block? One of the very best plays to slow down the rush....... but we don't use it. Why?

hunt-ducks said:
reinell30 said:

Most QBs have trouble throwing while rolling to their left, if they are right-handed. Few are ever good at it. I still wonder why we don't have quick slant patterns to Akem. That dude is huge, and Brown is very accurate on this type of throws. The best thing is that the ball is delivered quickly (within 1 1/2 seconds, negating much of the problems our line has in blocking for longer routes. Additionally, why don't we utilize a traditional screen pass to our RB, with the O-linemen allowing the rushers to get by, then rolling out to block? One of the very best plays to slow down the rush....... but we don't use it. Why?
They tried one screen to the right just under us in the SacSt game. Had the blockers all assembled; bad throw, incomplete like it had never been practiced. It would have gone for a long gain.

kemajic said:
hunt-ducks said:
They tried one screen to the right just under us in the SacSt game. Had the blockers all assembled; bad throw, incomplete like it had never been practiced. It would have gone for a long gain.
If there's one knock I have on Brown, it's his passes out to the flat. I don't think I've seen a QB in recent memory with a slower windup and release on these types of passes specifically. He had a few completed in a game a few weeks ago (Dixie State, maybe?) where the throw was super slow and the play went nowhere because of it. His windup doesn't look slow otherwise, so I don't know what it is about these types of passes.

hunt-ducks said:
reinell30 said:

I agree with you. I can't answer why we don't. I think it has got to be a part of the offense. Maybe we are saving it for secret plays in the future or something?

hunt-ducks said:
reinell30 said:

This. We did this a couple times on Saturday. Successful each time, I believe. Why it isn't done more is beyond me. And i guess we can add the screen play to the long list of plays that don't appear to be in Rosey's playbook.

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

This. We did this a couple times on Saturday. Successful each time, I believe. Why it isn't done more is beyond me. And i guess we can add the screen play to the long list of plays that don't appear to be in Rosey's playbook.

Offensive philosophy :

If it didn't work try it twice more
If it did work, try something else

I couldn't believe it when they threw deep. I was thinking somebody hit Rosenbach with a 2x4 or something. Granted with the OL dinged up, it's difficult to take advantage of the rocket arm and Akem's height or Flowers' speed, but it also doesn't matter if the plays aren't even in the Manuel.

Brown looked great, probably the best for a Fr QB since Bergquist. I seem to recall Bergquist having a great game as a freshman @ ISLose and thinking it was a good sign of things to come and very rare (altho Jensen had a couple good games too as a Fr).

Brown should be able to get better each week for the next 3. If so, I would take a 100% Brown (on a roll) over a 75% Cam (coming off an injury) for the Brawl/playoffs. Maybe even over an 80%-85% Cam.

I guess it will be a good problem to have, but that sounds like such a Bubcatty thing to say

Back