• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BSC: Big Stupid Conference

Look, the bsc is NEVER going to make smart decisions.

So as I've been saying for years, it's time for UM to make one and go FBS.

'68griz said:
EverettGriz said:
Look, the bsc is NEVER going to make smart decisions.

So as I've been saying for years, it's time for UM to make one and go FBS.

To where?
good question,right now Carroll college has as good of chance to join the big sky than Montana to the mountain west.

Zirg said:
4theluvofgriz said:
I think it is obvious that Travis was attempting to follow the formula which Gonzaga used to become a national power. That is, agreeing to play any team, any time, at their place. The past two years Travis has schedule a very strong non-conference schedule, and the team performed admirably against some highly-ranked opponents.

But, as you stated, City, the new Big Sky Conference schedule virtually eliminates us continuing to play these strong teams. We now get to play additional games against such powers as Northern Colorado, NAU, and idaho State, instead of UCLA and Stanford. This will only make recruiting more difficult, but will also probably hasten the departure of DeCuire.

The big Sky Conference has become a total cluster-fcuk, both in BB and FB, with too many teams and zero vision for a changing world of NCAA athletics. I wish about 8 of the schools left and formed their own conference.

More Big Sky games does NOTHING to prevent Travis from continuuining to upgrade the NC schedule. It just means no more, or at least fewer, games against Montana Tech and College of Great Falls/Providence.

So, we are going to lose the revenue generated by playing home games, and incur the additional expenses caused by traveling to away game to play the big boys??? Uh, that ain't gonna happen to a program that is already losing money.

4theluvofgriz said:
Zirg said:
4theluvofgriz said:
I think it is obvious that Travis was attempting to follow the formula which Gonzaga used to become a national power. That is, agreeing to play any team, any time, at their place. The past two years Travis has schedule a very strong non-conference schedule, and the team performed admirably against some highly-ranked opponents.

But, as you stated, City, the new Big Sky Conference schedule virtually eliminates us continuing to play these strong teams. We now get to play additional games against such powers as Northern Colorado, NAU, and idaho State, instead of UCLA and Stanford. This will only make recruiting more difficult, but will also probably hasten the departure of DeCuire.

The big Sky Conference has become a total cluster-fcuk, both in BB and FB, with too many teams and zero vision for a changing world of NCAA athletics. I wish about 8 of the schools left and formed their own conference.

More Big Sky games does NOTHING to prevent Travis from continuuining to upgrade the NC schedule. It just means no more, or at least fewer, games against Montana Tech and College of Great Falls/Providence.

So, we are going to lose the revenue generated by playing home games, and incur the additional expenses caused by traveling to away game to play the big boys??? Uh, that ain't gonna happen to a program that is already losing money.
I believe most of the "big boy" games come with a pretty healthy guarantee (that probably exceeds the home game proceeds) for the Griz. :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Zirg said:
4theluvofgriz said:

I believe most of the "big boy" games come with a pretty healthy guarantee (that probably exceeds the home game proceeds) for the Griz. :thumb:

At least one other person gets it.

GrizWhiz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Zirg said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Don't think you are correct on this. It happens in football, but I have never heard of it in basketball. Anyone know for sure?

4theluvofgriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Zirg said:

Don't think you are correct on this. It happens in football, but I have never heard of it in basketball. Anyone know for sure?
1. "The Montana men's basketball team lost out on an $85,000 payday when its road game against UCLA scheduled for Dec. 6 was canceled, Athletic Director Kent Haslam told 406mtsports.com (from a May 2018 egriz post.) I am pretty sure this payout, even after expenses, would exceed what a home game against an NAIA or low major opponent would generate.

4theluvofgriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Zirg said:

Griz will get $100,000 for their game against Creighton. $95,000 for their game against Arizona. (If you have not heard of guarantees in basketball, you are not paying attention).

Been saying for some time that the cream of the Big Sky should move over to the Summit.

It would create a potential FBS league and have basketball a few notches higher.

New Summit
West
UM-Idaho
MSU-Weber St
Denver -Air Force (non-fb)

East
UND-NDSU
USD-SDSU
Omaha

ORU, W Illinois and PUFW can skeedaddle out, and that would be one fine conference.

Let the Big Sky figure out their future without flagship schools. The remaining Big Sky schools have just about the sorriest collection of fan bases in DI.

But Griz just complain, they don’t act.

UNDfan said:
Been saying for some time that the cream of the Big Sky should move over to the Summit.

Blah blah blah.

I’d rather complain than join the Summit.

UNDfan said:

It would create a potential FBS league and have basketball a few notches higher.

New Summit
West
UM-Idaho
MSU-Weber St
Denver -Air Force (non-fb)

East
UND-NDSU
USD-SDSU
Omaha

ORU, W Illinois and PUFW can skeedaddle out, and that would be one fine conference.

Let the Big Sky figure out their future without flagship schools. The remaining Big Sky schools have just about the sorriest collection of fan bases in DI.

We might complain, but we don't complain on UND's (or other school's not in our conference) forum. Don't go away mad Sioux fans, just go away!

Back