• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cats Losing Players

Copper Griz said:
bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
Ouch. So is this the Gregorak effect? Seriously, they have a lot of defections. What the hell is going on over there?

No they keep claiming it’s the transfer portal.....you know, because no one ever transferred from there prior to that :lol: I think that’s 25 “stars” from their highly ranked class.

Yep, the program is in shambles. Not enough players left to field a team.The rumors are rampant that they will drop football and replace it with soccer.

I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass BS33. Legitimate question. Are some players leaving because of Grogoraks departure? This kid sounded like he was iffy when he originally signed, so maybe there is no correlation. Just seems like a lot of departures and this is probably not exclusive to MSU with the portal. Just curious.

James Williams almost didn’t come to MSU after he originally committed due to the death of his father and family situation. It has been a factor the whole time he has been here. Looked like he was going to stay but maybe he decided he wanted to be closer to home. I don’t think it is a big surprise. I don’t think it is anything to do with Ty. I have been hearing that the Portal is having a major effect on College FB in general.

bigsky33 said:
Copper Griz said:
bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
No they keep claiming it’s the transfer portal.....you know, because no one ever transferred from there prior to that :lol: I think that’s 25 “stars” from their highly ranked class.

Yep, the program is in shambles. Not enough players left to field a team.The rumors are rampant that they will drop football and replace it with soccer.

I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass BS33. Legitimate question. Are some players leaving because of Grogoraks departure? This kid sounded like he was iffy when he originally signed, so maybe there is no correlation. Just seems like a lot of departures and this is probably not exclusive to MSU with the portal. Just curious.

James Williams almost didn’t come to MSU after he originally committed due to the death of his father and family situation. It has been a factor the whole time he has been here. Looked like he was going to stay but maybe he decided he wanted to be closer to home. I don’t think it is a big surprise. I don’t think it is anything to do with Ty. I have been hearing that the Portal is having a major effect on College FB in general.

You read bobcat nation. Of course you’ve been hearing that the portal is having a major effect.

BDizzle said:
bigsky33 said:
Copper Griz said:
bigsky33 said:

You read bobcat nation. Of course you’ve been hearing that the portal is having a major effect.

Here is my opinion on the transfers leaving MSU...

WR's--Grass is greener. They looked at what was going on with the QB situation, and where they were in depth chart, and decided that they could do better somewhere else. I wish them the best, and hope they kill it wherever they end up

Williams--Home Sick. He wants to play closer to his family, so they can watch more of his games. He is a tough loss, as I feel he would end up being a stud, but family is important, and especially if you have lost one of your parents already.

Transfer Portal-- so a coach can sign a bunch of players, and then leave a week after they get to the school, but if a player is stuck where he isn't happy tough luck? for whatever reason the player wants to leave a school, he should be able to go play somewhere else (in my mind). If you don't want players to use the transfer portal, then make sure they are happy...And if anyone knows how to keep 18-20 years old happy all the time, let me know.

SACCAT66 said:
BDizzle said:
bigsky33 said:
Copper Griz said:

WR's--Grass is greener. They looked at what was going on with the QB situation, and where they were in depth chart, and decided that they could do better somewhere else. I wish them the best, and hope they kill it wherever they end up

Williams--Home Sick. He wants to play closer to his family, so they can watch more of his games. He is a tough loss, as I feel he would end up being a stud, but family is important, and especially if you have lost one of your parents already.

Transfer Portal-- so a coach can sign a bunch of players, and then leave a week after they get to the school, but if a player is stuck where he isn't happy tough luck? for whatever reason the player wants to leave a school, he should be able to go play somewhere else (in my mind). If you don't want players to use the transfer portal, then make sure they are happy...And if anyone knows how to keep 18-20 years old happy all the time, let me know.

Now that is a levelheaded and realistic response without making a bunch of excuses or trying to pin blame on some transfer portal. I agree completely with your view on coaches can go anywhere they want with no repercussions why do we hold back players from doing the same.

Now here is my bigger question. It sounds like the cats will have to cut 25 to 30 players to meet roster maximums after spring. Coach Choate is four years in and that seems like a real high number for being around one program this long. Almost like he is retooling this roster all over again. Do you find that strange or is that kind of the norm anymore

HookedonGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:
BDizzle said:
bigsky33 said:

Now that is a levelheaded and realistic response without making a bunch of excuses or trying to pin blame on some transfer portal. I agree completely with your view on coaches can go anywhere they want with no repercussions why do we hold back players from doing the same.

Now here is my bigger question. It sounds like the cats will have to cut 25 to 30 players to meet roster maximums after spring. Coach Choate is four years in and that seems like a real high number for being around one program this long. Almost like he is retooling this roster all over again. Do you find that strange or is that kind of the norm anymore

I think it is CLOSE to the norm, remember most of these kids will then be invited to join the team once the roster max goes back up when fall school starts. I think most teams deal with this during spring ball. No player is guaranteed a starting spot (except for Andersen and Sneed) and Spring is a good chance to let a lot of kids give it a last shot to see if they can make it, it is also a great chance for the kids to see if they really fit with this team or not. I believe (but not for sure certain) that part of those 25-30 are walk-ons from last year as well... I think most of the 20-30 kids that will get "Cut" know it is a possibility, and aren't really that shocked when it happens. Only about 25% (if even that many) of kids that sign with a school will still be playing at that school when they are seniors. That is why I always find it funny when fan bases get so exited with a recruiting class...Good chance only 2-3 of the kids will make it all the way through, and most of the star seniors, were kids that nobody talked about when they signed them.

Reasoned discussion and civil discourse...……...is this allowed here? Oh that it would only be so on all of the threads!

Back