• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

china/ccp

3-7-77 said:
Just what is the difference between the CCP press and CBS, ABC, NBC, MSDNC, CNN, and the rest? :? And, no, please don't stop posting about China. Your are one of the only sources of news on the topic.

the difference is the ccp isn't "press", it's pure propaganda from the point of the party, ergo from the point of one person, and one person's whims - that person being xi jinping. at least we can be exposed to multiple viewpoints, biases, etc, and make up our own minds. of course that's not for the lazy, they pick the news outlet that makes them feel somehow superior, and stick with it. as for china.. youth unemployment is reported at above 20%, which means probably 40%. you'd think that since the population is rapidly aging due to the one child policy and now the very low birth rate, younger people would be finding more jobs available, not less. but then again, china is trying to embrace a.i., and that is going to take jobs. of course, china's a.i. is crappy compared to ours, not to mentioned censored, but it is still going to take jobs. the ccp likes to claim the u.s. is in decline, but i think china's decline angle is steeper and faster. maybe that's why xi jinping seems to intent on militarizing and provoking conflict, to deflect from this? i dunno.

ha, at least vietnam has some cajones - they have banned an upcoming "barbie" film because there is a scene that shows a map with china's "9-dashed line". if you don't know, china claims pretty much the whole south china sea, including areas that fall into several country's exclusive economic zones (vietnam, the philippines, and a bunch of others - look at the map). the u.n. ruled against china's claim, because it is b.s., but china is ignoring it, and continues to militarize the area, not to mention plunder fish and other seafood that is in other countries' territory:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4935024

china's economy sucks... it is obvious from talking to people in china almost daily, but here's a nyt article that concurs with what i have heard. people there know it, too: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/08/business/dealbook/china-economy-desmond-shum.html

the chinese economy is f-ed, part two: here's an article about the overall economy:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/16/business/economy/china-gdp-q2.html

and another about evergrande, the real estate development company that lost 81 billion in like one year:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/07/18/china-evergrande-losses-real-estate/

how totally clueless xi jinping is... for some reason he thinks that meeting with (and using) a generally reviled war criminal (kissinger) and two generally reviled, ethics-free billionaires (gates and musk) will somehow help him influence people in the u.s. to be nicer to china, or more specifically, to keep letting the ccp-led china rip us and every other country off at will. this approach is seriously laughable: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/20/world/asia/china-kissinger-visit-us.html

"non-profits" and how they are being used for ccp propaganda, the far left showing their are as gullible as the far right, and just corruption in general: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/05/world/europe/neville-roy-singham-china-propaganda.html#commentsContainer

on a side note, how things are done in china: a person i know has a small, two person english teaching business. her business co-founder got pissed at her and left (the person i know is very selfish), and then then refused to help get her name off of the business license. the chick i know said she had two options, close the license and re-brand, which would cost about $600 (all that is needed is to add a word to the name), or... bribe someone in the government to remove the co-founder from the license and keep the name, which would cost about $3000. guess what the choice was? bribery. that is how china works.

hey greenie, do you know anything about this big international law firm that has decided to leave china? i wonder how many people in the firm will be hit with exit blocks (it is happening more and more), and also how many of the chinese nationals who work for them will be hassled by the government? my guess is that both will happen.

this is a good article, because it discusses many of the bad decisions that have influenced the current economic downturn in china. and it is no small downturn - giant businesses are failing, and the people, or at least the ones i know, are very pessimistic:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/15/business/country-garden-china-property.html

i haven't posted on this thread much lately, i don't know how much interest there really is, but... just as an update, if you didn't know, internally china is becoming more and more of a shitshow. the economy is in the garbage, largely because of the state trying to control the activities of large companies like alibaba and tencent, the completely messed up housing situation that has huge companies defaulting on their debts and halting construction, leaving pre-bought apartment owners with huge losses, which is big because housing has been the main avenue people have been using to invest there money for a long time, and the huge outflow of money as wealthy people move their money out of the country to the tune of billions a month. Then there's the extremely low birth rates, rapidly aging population, the overly competitive job market that makes it very difficult for new graduates to find jobs and has created a generation of young people who can't find jobs, and on top of all that, the ever increasing social control by the government. i could go on, but instead here's a link to a video from a channel anybody interested in china might want to check out, they cover all this stuff. if you check out this channel, you'll learn what people i talk to in china every week tell me is true - none of them think highly of the current state of the country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkReVej9xqA

AWWWWWW! Soviet Union imploded in a little over 70 years. The CCP is due. Paying off American politicians is cheaper than out spending us, but they seem to be doing both. Bring on the crash!

in their presidential election today, taiwan elected the guy china wanted least, with a 70% turnout. the winner, from a party who wants strong ties with the u.s., had 40% of the vote. naturally, the ccp sycophants (and newspapers) are trying to twist the vote count into meaning that 60% of taiwanese are for 'unification'. alas, they conveniently ignore that neither of the other two parties want to be part of china, either, they just want better ties in order to lessen the chance of war. only about 3% of taiwanese say they want to unify with china, the rest just have different ideas on how to deal with the monster to their west (china). anyway, the election worked out the way democracies are supposed to, with the losers conceding politely, and in a timely fashion. we'll see how big of a baby xi is gonna be about the whole thing, but i don't think anyone believes he is going to be anything but that... so expect lots of small... military threats. the taiwanese find them really annoying. it will be interesting to hear what my friends in china have heard. .

anyway, here's a link to an article on the election: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/13/world/asia/taiwan-election-china-us.html

argh! said:
in their presidential election today, taiwan elected the guy china wanted least, with a 70% turnout. the winner, from a party who wants strong ties with the u.s., had 40% of the vote. naturally, the ccp sycophants (and newspapers) are trying to twist the vote count into meaning that 60% of taiwanese are for 'unification'. alas, they conveniently ignore that neither of the other two parties want to be part of china, either, they just want better ties in order to lessen the chance of war. only about 3% of taiwanese say they want to unify with china, the rest just have different ideas on how to deal with the monster to their west (china). anyway, the election worked out the way democracies are supposed to, with the losers conceding politely, and in a timely fashion. we'll see how big of a baby xi is gonna be about the whole thing, but i don't think anyone believes he is going to be anything but that... so expect lots of small... military threats. the taiwanese find them really annoying. it will be interesting to hear what my friends in china have heard. .

anyway, here's a link to an article on the election: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/13/world/asia/taiwan-election-china-us.html

as a follow up, except for one friend from shanghai who lives in the u.s. and is married to a taiwanese guy, all of the mainland chinese i've spoken with totally buy into the '60% of taiwanese voted for unification' b.s. being promulgated by the ccp propaganda machine. that includes one who currently lives in singapore, and usually seems pretty worldly. in case some are unaware, singapore is more or less run by natives of the area, but ethnic chinese currently outnumber other ethnicities in the city-state. at least i could set her straight regarding the situation, though - with those living in china i am still pretty careful with what i say, because they are perpetually wary of whoever might be listening in...

a friend in china and i were talking today about their tanking economy and ever increasing social control. her take was... 'i think everybody in china is waiting for him to die'. him being xi jin ping. those people aren't stupid, but they do feel trapped. their dictator has snagged all the power - the government, military, and judicial system all answer directly to him. the last time i heard so much discontent from my friends there was right before the populace pretty much forced the government to end 'zero covid'. don't know if they will be able to change this situation as easily, though. they are all also worried that he might start a war with taiwan, which would obviously cause a lot of death and economic hardship. so i's have to say that the temperature in china seems like it is starting to get a little... hot.

some of you may have seen the youtube video of the nationalistic chinese in britian showing just how entitled those associated with the ccp can be. if you don't know, a live streamer was playing the piano in a public place, doing his live stream, when a bunch of chinese working for the chinese government told him it was 'against the law' for him to have them on film, even though in britian filming in public places is allowed, and passerby's can be shown if they are not the focus of the video. some of the obnoxious chinese iincluded some who are british citizens.... anyway, contrary to what many thought might happen, mainland chinese overwhelmingly supported the british live streamer, who defended his right to free speech despite being really obnoxiously accosted by the chinese.

here's the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65iwnI2hjAA

anybody else recently see items labeled as "made in prc", instead of "made in china"? i guess that is one way around scrutiny...

Back