• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Crew

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Interestingly (at least to me) is that women’s crew is a well-known Title IX workaround for some PAC schools. Or, at least it used to be. Like 40 woman teams. Some schools would over-recruit, over-sign, and then cut half the team after scholarship reporting. I don’t know if it’s still done that way. Not crew, but I have a female friend who went to Stanford on a sailing scholarship. Sailing.

Still happens. Know a girl...pretty good cross country runner. She was recruited by a Big 12 crew coach. She had never been in a boat before. Crazy.

Wow. I’ve heard of the women’s crew coaches recruiting at HS bball games. Girls who are big and strong but don’t have college bball level talent. “Here’s a scholarship to Berkeley, aaaand you’re off the team. Thanks!”

Wrestling is it. Title 9 with girls, girls wrestling is only a couple years away from hitting the threshold for championships. Iowa just started their team and it would be a good time to get in at the bottom rather than wait. Girls wrestling is blowing up right now. Also, outside football that’s the only sport I’m driving over the pass to come watch.

Missoula could probably pull it off, similar to the way Gonzaga uses the Spokane River. The Bitterroot would probably work. But Montana has women's sports covered.

I don't think MSU could pull crew off easily. It doesn't have the right kind of water close to town. The better question is when does the gender mix at MSU require another women's sport for Title IX?

Missoula could probably pull it off, similar to the way Gonzaga uses the Spokane River. The Bitterroot would probably work. But Montana has women's sports covered.

I don't think MSU could pull crew off easily. It doesn't have the right kind of water close to town. The better question is when does the gender mix at MSU require another women's sport for Title IX?

I would think the next sport added would be mens and womens lacrosse. It’s inexpensive in that no new capital facility is needed, and by adding both you don’t run into Title IV issues. But even that likely won’t occur until UM is FBS.

EverettGriz said:
I would think the next sport added would be mens and womens lacrosse. It’s inexpensive in that no new capital facility is needed, and by adding both you don’t run into Title IV issues. But even that likely won’t occur until UM is FBS.

The last part simply cannot be done. Are there a lot of ‘University of [state]s’ that play a division down from FBS? I can think of four…out of fifty.

Edit: I forgot the dakotas and URI.
Edit 2: Montana, Idaho, URI, Dakota1, Dakota2, Delaware, Maine, Penn (although it's private so I don't really think it counts).

...sooo they add rowing to the griz...
...but the coxswain..has to come from the pages of egriz...
...who would be the best suited to cover that coveted position on the boat...

... :shock: ...

griz4life said:
I don't think MSU could pull crew off easily. It doesn't have the right kind of water
images

Latest posts

Back