• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Damian Lillard

Aside from basketball, as has been mentioned, Lillard is a stand-up guy who just gets it. I could post several examples of this, but I like this take he had: "Pressure, nah. Fam, this is just playing ball. Pressure is the homeless man, who doesn’t know where his next meal is coming from. Pressure is the single mom, who is trying to scuffle and pay her rent. We get paid a lot of money to play a game. Don’t get me wrong — there are challenges. But to call it pressure is almost an insult to regular people."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/26/damian-lillard-trail-blazers-playoffs-pressure-insult-to-regular-people/

Damian is the reason I pull for the Blazers. I like them and the Nuggets. Thanks to Kobe and now Lebron, I've lost my passion for the Lakers. I think they need to start over. Would love to see Damian win it all, while the Lakers are down.

It's really tough when you're playing for a small-market team to get the attention you deserve. But here's the way to do it: Make the "shot seen round the world!"

mtgrizrule said:
Damian is the reason I pull for the Blazers. I like them and the Nuggets. Thanks to Kobe and now Lebron, I've lost my passion for the Lakers. I think they need to start over. Would love to see Damian win it all, while the Lakers are down.

Your life is much better when you are Laker Free :mrgreen:

garizzalies said:
Paul George is not better than Lillard. Did you watch the first round? Did you see the last shot? I love how PG tried to say that was a bad shot and DL pointed out how bad his defense was.

And anyone comparing Lillard to a crackhead is..... well, wrong. I’ll just leave it at that.

LMAO. You ppl today see one game and have ZERO understanding of how MRR was equally dynamic in his era. just shut up!

UncleRico said:
So almost exact same number of years. Lillard averages 23.5 ppg, 6.3 assists, 4.2 rpg. Michael Ray 14.8 ppg, 7.0 assists, 5.5 rpg. Michael Ray unfortunately sabotaged his own career. And let us be honest the NBA today has much superior athletes to 1970s NBA. It really isn't even close. As far as being a good guy..it is commonly known in Portland and throughout the NBA what a generous and humble guy he is. Her is an example.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/5/7/15572228/nba-damian-lillard-trail-blazers-teammate-donate-playoff-bonuses-support-staff

LMAO. Your own quoted stats proves my point. MRR was more-valuable in so many stats, not one-dimensional. being a"good guy" isn't a stat, is it? You continuing to bring that up confirms my point. it's smoke an mirrors for you Lillard fans. You can;t argue the stats I posted. Nobody can.

Both terrific players and fun to watch. Loved MRR's aggressiveness on defense. Everyone knew he had played at MT.

I was living in NYC during his early years with the Knicks. The brother of my good friend and office mate was the general counsel of the NBA (headquartered in NYC) and later Deputy Commissioner. My friend would often get last minute afternoon of game calls from his brother, asking if we wanted some extra NBA VIP tickets. We always did. Great seats, altho not court side. Huge fun. Price was right. Famous people around us at times. Cheryl Tiegs. The ushers seemed to wonder who the heck we were and who let us in.

LMAO. Your own quoted stats proves my point. MRR was more-valuable in so many stats, not one-dimensional. being a"good guy" isn't a stat, is it? You continuing to bring that up confirms my point. it's smoke an mirrors for you Lillard fans. You can;t argue the stats I posted. Nobody can.

Seriously assists and rebounds are almost the same..and he averaged almost 10 points a game more! Michael ray only averaged 20 points a game once. Come on man be real.

UncleRico said:

Seriously assists and rebounds are almost the same..and he averaged almost 10 points a game more! Michael ray only averaged 20 points a game once. Come on man be real.

Let's see Lillard try that on 5-6 big fat lines of coke a day!

AZGrizFan said:
UncleRico said:

Let's see Lillard try that on 5-6 big fat lines of coke a day!

No doubt!

https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/basketball/cal-basketball-kidd-gives-surprising-answer-during-induction-into-bay-area-hall-Q2ebZx-Ft0iBy1k-ZO5vGw/

But of course, Zirg knows better than Jason Kidd too....

sacstateman said:
https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/basketball/cal-basketball-kidd-gives-surprising-answer-during-induction-into-bay-area-hall-Q2ebZx-Ft0iBy1k-ZO5vGw/

But of course, Zirg knows better than Jason Kidd too....

Jason Kidd might know more about b-ball than I do, but he is an admitted wife-beater. THIS is your "go-to source"? He should be in prison.

PlayerRep said:
Both terrific players and fun to watch. Loved MRR's aggressiveness on defense. Everyone knew he had played at MT.

I was living in NYC during his early years with the Knicks. The brother of my good friend and office mate was the general counsel of the NBA (headquartered in NYC) and later Deputy Commissioner. My friend would often get last minute afternoon of game calls from his brother, asking if we wanted some extra NBA VIP tickets. We always did. Great seats, altho not court side. Huge fun. Price was right. Famous people around us at times. Cheryl Tiegs. The ushers seemed to wonder who the heck we were and who let us in.

I never thought I'd (*gulp*) agree with PR, but he is probably one of the few ppl that actually has seen both play live. Nobody commenting negatively about MRR has every seen him play live, I guarantee it.

I was wondering when you neanderthals would reduce this conversation into a cocaine thing. It actually took longer than I expected. I am NOT saying MRR is clearly the best player from the Big Sky Conference, but I actually posited stats to let people make their own decision. We are so "NOW" -based and we forget ppl so quickly. Please give more consideration to MRR before you make a fool of yourselves, is all I ask. ;)

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:

I never thought I'd (*gulp*) agree with PR, but he is probably one of the few ppl that actually has seen both play live[/b]. Nobody commenting negatively about MRR has every seen him play live, I guarantee it.

Jesus you make me feel old. Back when, my buddy and I played organized pick up ball in the summer put on by Judd, full court, games to 4, wish I could remember all the others.

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:

I never thought I'd (*gulp*) agree with PR, but he is probably one of the few ppl that actually has seen both play live. Nobody commenting negatively about MRR has every seen him play live, I guarantee it.

Way back when my buddy and I would play full court games to 4 points put on by Judd in the summer. If you wanted to feel like you couldn't play ball you should have been there. :mrgreen:

Zirg said:
I was wondering when you neanderthals would reduce this conversation into a cocaine thing. It actually took longer than I expected. I am NOT saying MRR is clearly the best player from the Big Sky Conference, but I actually posited stats to let people make their own decision. We are so "NOW" -based and we forget ppl so quickly. Please give more consideration to MRR before you make a fool of yourselves, is all I ask. ;)

Call me a neanderthal all you want, but it WAS the “cocaine thing” that cost MMR a career that had the potential to be “Dr. J-like”....he had a ceiling that would have made this discussion a joke. Instead, he snorted it away and now this IS a discussion because of that. So, like it or not, the “cocaine thing” does play a part in it all...

Fun to go back and watch Micheal Ray highlights on YouTube. Oh, yeah, he lived up to his nickname, Sugar. Sweet moves, for sure.

But two things jump out at me as I watch those old clips.

--The inattention to the three-point line. Teams treated it as if it didn't exist, or was some kind of freak shot intended for late-game situations. It's taken all these years for a Steph Curry or a Damian Lillard to make full use of that shot. So on that score, no question Lillard tops Micheal Ray. Open court? That's where Micheal Ray excelled. He was cat-quick, fast and possessed an incredible bag of moves flying to the rim. I'd have to give him the edge there.

--The poor quality of the defense. Today's switching-trapping defenses mean shots are much more contested than they were back in the day. I'm always surprised when I go back and look at these clips the level of matador defense in the NBA. In that way, the game has really progressed.

Of course, there's been one more huge change over the years: The entrance into the NBA of the gifted European players. Who ever thought a bunch of wine-sipping, sandal-wearing white guys could make it in the NBA?

AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:

Call me a neanderthal all you want, but it WAS the “cocaine thing” that cost MMR a career that had the potential to be “Dr. J-like”....he had a ceiling that would have made this discussion a joke. Instead, he snorted it away and now this IS a discussion because of that. So, like it or not, the “cocaine thing” does play a part in it all...
Exactly. He was a great college player and perhaps the best while he was playing in the conference but Lillard is clearly a better pro. That is in part because of MRR derailed his own career. And the NBA is better now..better athletes.. and it will be better in 30 years from now too.

AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:

Had it not been for is own issues with coke, David Thompson may have been the greatest NBA player of all time...

Back