• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dear Kent Haslam, Please Keep Travis DeCuire as Head Coach.

FYI, here are the PAC 12 Men's Basketball Coaches Salaries from last year (17-18 season) per a Seattle Times article.

Here’s a look at the Pac-12 coaching salaries. (USC and Stanford are private institutions and not included in this report.)
School Name Pay
1. (6) Arizona Sean Miller $4,054,853
2. (8) Utah Larry Krystowiak $3,390,000
3. (22) Oregon Dana Altman $2,700,000
4. (23) UCLA Steve Alford $2,604,000
5. (44) Arizona State Bobby Hurley $2,105,000
6. (48) Oregon State Wayne Tinkle $1,966,688
7. (52) Washington Mike Hopkins $1,800,004
8. (61) Colorado Tad Boyle $1,420,183
9. (62) Washington St. Ernie Kent $1,400,000
10. (65) California Wyking Jones $1,142,500

Note: Pac-12 rank and national rank in parenthesis.

Although I think there are a handful of WCC and Mtn West jobs that Trav would take the Pac12 is really where he wants to land. Something to watch is Cal... they're 5-15 and 0-8 in a conference that's way down this year.

84GRIZ said:
FYI, here are the PAC 12 Men's Basketball Coaches Salaries from last year (17-18 season) per a Seattle Times article.

Here’s a look at the Pac-12 coaching salaries. (USC and Stanford are private institutions and not included in this report.)
School Name Pay

Wow, that is big time money. That's almost as much as good lawyers make. Ha. Thanks for posting.

Sport said:
Donor/booster group.

Okay, great. I would assume that 100's of egriz posters and lurkers donate to UM athletics, via GSA, QB Club, Roundball Club, or otherwise.

Are you aware that there is a movement to raise money to persuade the university and regents to increase his salary?

84GRIZ said:

School Name Pay

Montana is never going to have that kind of money.

'68griz said:
84GRIZ said:

School Name Pay

Montana is never going to have that kind of money in the bsc.

Edited for accuracy.

I googled, What is Nick Saban's base salary? An article dated Oct. 25, 2017 stated it was $245,000. But he earned $10.9 million in other compensation. Trying to compare total income can be very confusing. Start with the school's contract which now often includes one time bonuses for signing or staying for a period of time. Radio and TV contracts can be huge. Bonuses can also be eared for academic achievement. More through team performance, wins, and levels of advancement. Even attendance ,concessions and parking. In Montana the Board of Regents have to approve the contracts and strongly suggest--but I don't believe they can legally mandate-that contracts must be equal.
The biggest hunk of most coach's compensation comes from outside sources. These include doing commercials, personal appearances, motivational seminars, writing books, and even partnerships in businesses. Limitations on these activities can be covered in the base contract but unless it presents some conflict of interest it is touchy for a school to restrain a person from their own commerce.
Finally you have the grey area where coaches run camps on school facilities. Depending upon the administration room and board can be free or greatly reduced or charged full bore. $20 room and $20 food X 5 days X 000 campers can amount to a nice bonus. To shorten a long story. I don't agree that all money must come through the State. As Alabama has shown, there are multiple creative ways to provide compensation for a coach.

If LK wasn’t willing to be “that” guy in the hypothetical scenario laid out, I highly doubt TD is...love him as a coach, but another 20+ win season or two and I’m afraid he’s gonzo.

EverettGriz said:
#bsc.

Until we cut off the cement shoes taking us to straight to the bottom of the shit pond, we’ll never get quality coaches to stay in the program.

Cue the violins, while Everett and I sing yet again our mournful dirge.

The Great Decision in the Big Sky was made years ago, by the football program and its rabid chest-thumping bullies, who were then lording it over 1-AA, while gunning year in and year out for national championships at the Pony League level of college athletics. Step up? Take on greater challenges? The nays echoed through the Rockies like a yodeler in the Alps:
"Montana kids aren't good enough!"
"We don't have the money!"
"We don't have the population!"
"Look at Idaho!"
"Who wants to play in the Weed-Eater Bowl?!"
And so we stayed put, where we were, wallowing in our greatness at the lower level, the while our two basketball programs, that might have competed admirably in a bigger, two or three bid conference, played in high school gyms, endured brutal winter travel schedules to smaller locales distant from major airports, only to get slaughtered as a 16-seed if they happened to win a one-seed conference.
Hello Big Dance!
Hello Big Boys!
Gee..we're not in 1-AA anymore.
And this from one who has kept the faith, certainly with DeCuire at the helm, hoping against hope for a Sweet 16 appearance, while remembering that Gonzaga too was once in a pitiful second-rate conference.
But it seems the combination of factors it would take to step onto the national scene in a big way remain illusory: A great coach and recruiter like DeCuire and his staff who might be willing to stay. A deep-pockets booster who could make that happen. Other conference members rising to great heights at the same time, boosting the conference's ratings and attractiveness to recruits, while building better facilities. (Hello Portland State. Hello Sac State.)
It could happen.
The Pelicans could win an NBA title.
Donald Trump could read a book.
Those are the odds right now.

Citay and Everett Griz can rant and rave and pontificate about how bad the Big Sky Conference is forever and a day -- and I don't necessarily disagree with them. BUT, neither one of them can tell us what UM's options are ... because there are none.

'68griz said:
Citay and Everett Griz can rant and rave and pontificate about how bad the Big Sky Conference is forever and a day -- and I don't necessarily disagree with them. BUT, neither one of them can tell us what UM's options are ... because there are none.

BINGO

Aside from what I mentioned earlier...

Here are some other things to consider as I was thinking about random crap during a LL coaches meeting.

1. Last year was a peak year and the BSC struggled to get out of the 20's nationally in most metrics. This year is historically bad and the conference is in the mid 20's again. Outside of last year, that is where the conference has resided in recent years. Unless you are 25-3 and have 3 to 4 Mid-major wins a year, you are staring at a 12-13 line or lower every year.

2. I really think people are missing the boat about the money thing. If you look at the reported salaries, and you dig a bit his base salary regionally isn't anything sneeze at. In all honesty it isn't that far off from most of the MWC (minus SDSU, BSU, UN, UNLV). Even if you elevate his salary, to say Leon Rice area, what does that get? It gets you #1 above. A great salary in a conference that doesn't guarantee success outside of it. The salary would be in effect a gold plated pile of horse dung. Paying him more might get him to stay here longer, but there are too many others things that make it what it is, which is throwing money at a problem that really isn't the problem. To be honest, no matter what good guys at the BSC say, how is this year any different to the last ten in the conference? It isn't.

3. I am not here to take a collective dump on the BSC, because that is only a part of the problem. This a pretty crappy environment in the NCAA's to take a run at a Gonzaga like rise. You can't get games, you can't draw home crowds playing third tier D1 programs. No Pac 12 team is going to visit Dahlberg anymore, and sure as shit MWC teams are going to be loathe to after BSU's trip in here a few years back. So you go on the road, get the shit beat out of you every year to try to step your game up, only to return to a 1 bid league. So we are left with Big West and West Coast conference teams coming in here to develop the type of non-conference vibe that gets fans in the seats. Short of winning march NCAA tournament games, what is the formula that creates a vibe? Two NAIA squads? Two home games in the non-conference schedule against D1 schools? That is what DeCuire essentially had this year.

24 pretty much nails it. The other thing about Gonzaga is that the basketball team is the flag ship sport for that school and always has been even before their amazing success. They haven't had football to contend with for resources from the University of the community. Gonzaga basketball is the show in Spokane and for a city with over 500,000 people in the metro area, that gives it a big advantage in terms of fan support and raising booster funds for your specific sport (you mentioned boosters contributing for HC salaries). Being Private also offers them some freedom in this regard.

Missoula, with a Metro of just over 100,000 just isn't going to get the local fan support Gonzaga does. Even if they happened to make a Sweet 16 run this year, I don't know if that's ever going to get people to travel long distances out of town to watch them play a Portland State or a non-conference with a Georgia State. That is the other difficult thing, is getting notable programs to travel to Missoula, which is pretty isolated.

Love DeCuire and hope we can keep him as long as we can. Hopefully Cal rights their ship and keeps their HC. If he does leave for a Pac12 though, that would be 3 straight HC's from UM that sprungboard into a Pac12 job. You'd have to think that would be noticed by a lot of ambitious and talented candidates.

I think we all want DeCuire to stay and honestly I want as much success for the UM program as anyone.

We have one NCAA tournament win in 30 years. Maybe about a dozen wins (maybe less) over Power 5 conference teams in the past 20. We can average 20 wins a season, beat a couple of mid-majors a year and be a ‘sleeper pick’ in the NCAA’s.

Is there actually an actionable plan that creates the type of results that we want and crave here. It is possible, but it always seems to me it is more about catching lightning in a bottle. What is an actual path that gets us to a MWC type team, who win a couple games in the NCAA’s every few years?

Because I don’t believe it requires winning in March first because that is a crap shoot. All it takes is a bad matchup (as we are apt to get as low seeds) to unhinge. Is it really keeping DeCuire? We aren’t moving conferences. So what is the answer?

There is a pretty good chance the Washington State job will be open the end of this year. Ernie Kent hasn't done much since he has been there and this year they are horrible. They have only won one conference game this year and their 9 conference losses have been by an average of 19 points. They even lost to the Cats by 5.

"Love DeCuire and hope we can keep him as long as we can. Hopefully Cal rights their ship and keeps their HC. If he does leave for a Pac12 though, that would be 3 straight HC's from UM that sprungboard into a Pac12 job. You'd have to think that would be noticed by a lot of ambitious and talented candidates."

Sorry to dampen your hopes but Cal is not going to win another game this year....Wyking Jones was hired on the cheap for $5 million over 3 years with zero D1 head coaching experience....After 2 years, Wyking's teams will be 2-34 in conference, not exactly a record that is conducive to long term employment....Don't know if Cal wants Travis but if they do, you guys can wave bye bye to him cuz Cal will pay him over $2 mil a year....Just the facts....Your best hope is Cal is looking elsewhere for a coach.....

There could be a ton of turnover in the PAC-12 this spring. Could see 4-5 teams replacing coaches. UCLA already has.

Been a pretty cruddy run for California basketball teams. Even here in San Diego, where college hoops sits 738th on the list of important things to do, Dutcher might be in trouble too.

There are likely going to be a lot of options come spring time for MWC, Big Sky and other mid-major coaches to entertain. Mussleman is going to be a hot name as might Kyle Smith (USF) as wells as Russel Turner (UCI). I don’t believe it is a foregone conclusion that DeCuire leaves, but if he desires to be back in California again he is likely going to have a few options to choose from.

"I bet if we could get big donors to pay Travis 500k per year he would stay over taking jobs on bigger conferences. Someone told me Montana is the only state who has a board of regents who oversees both university systems in the state. He said if Montana were to get the money to pay Travis 500k per year then Montana State would have to pay their basketaball coach the same when his contract is renewed. Don’t know if this is true, but would be embarrassing if it was."

The state of Idaho has a State Board of Education that oversees operations of the state's four, four-year universities/colleges and all state JC/Community colleges.

Latest posts

Back