• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dear Travis

astutegriz said:
I support Travis even through this low. I'm not jumping ship. I appreciate the winning during his career. I appreciate his discipline, sitting someone when they need it. I appreciate his recruiting and emphasis on defense. I appreciate the team is VERY young and experience means a lot. I appreciate offense and consistency come later, particularly with youth. I could go on. I acknowledge things are not perfect, but choose to appreciate the many great things we have.

It feels lonely here. Anyone with me?

I am with you. The core of this team are Sophomores. Bannon is a star in the making. Whitney might be one of the best defenders in the conference. And I love the potential of Beasley and Martin. Are there things they need to improve? Absolutely. But I would take Travis over any other coach in the conference. Did you notice that Weber lost two in row? They are the most talented and veteran group in the conference. Basketball seasons are marathons. Still a month until Big Sky Tournament. If UM got rid of Travis veteran coaches would not line up to take this job. Because they would look at what Travis has accomplished and think those people are out of their minds with unreal expectations.

Vazquez, Owens and DCH were "young" three years ago when they got here. Beasley, Whitney and Bannan now all three second year starters. What year is "later" enough to expect the offensive consistency? I'd argue Owens DCH and Vazquez were all more consistent two years ago and Owens and Vazquez both more consistent last year. Griz guys don't seem to get better year to year and while not loaded with upperclassmen the roster isn't "young" when it comes to experience.

On the football Kris Brown is "done and won't get better " following his redshirt freshman year...but "just be patient and wait a couple years for Vazquez, Owens, DCH, Beasley, Whitney and Bannan"?

Mousegriz said:
Vazquez, Owens and DCH were "young" three years ago when they got here. Beasley, Whitney and Bannan now all three second year starters. What year is "later" enough to expect the offensive consistency? I'd argue Owens DCH and Vazquez were all more consistent two years ago and Owens and Vazquez both more consistent last year. Griz guys don't seem to get better year to year and while not loaded with upperclassmen the roster isn't "young" when it comes to experience.

On the football Kris Brown is "done and won't get better " following his redshirt freshman year...but "just be patient and wait a couple years for Vazquez, Owens, DCH, Beasley, Whitney and Bannan"?

Yep. Griz aren’t young. The bigger issue is that an entire class of players (DCH, Owens, Vazquez) has gotten progressively worse rather than better over the past 3 years.

AZGrizFan said:
Mousegriz said:

Yep. Griz aren’t young. The bigger issue is that an entire class of players (DCH, Owens, Vazquez) has gotten progressively worse rather than better over the past 3 years.

That's puzzling. I expected Owens to be what Bannan is. Vazquez, was to be a reliable shooter and distributor. Carter a true SF that would contribute in all aspects, a glue guy.

Instead DCH plays with an edge and intensity. He needs to find some offensive consistency. Owens looks comfortable on defense, but lost confidence offensively. Vazquez looks Iost on both ends. His offense and confidence are almost non existent. Meaning, he'll start doing something naturally, then question things in the process. I really would run a few plays for him, to see if his game can be recovered. I don't see any semblance of the same player in him.

I hear ya, Citay, and obviously Monty deserves all of our respect,BUT...we are "lucky" to have Travis, and he surely will get a more prominent gig sooner-than-later, for sure immediately if the Griz make the NCAAs again would be my bet. I have similar concerns about what the heck we are doing with a guy (Anderson) who has almost NO offensive abilities whatsoever starting. To me it's recruiting that I have criticism with Travis. As far as the team we have right now, we kinda HAVE to run a perimeter-game to maximize our talent.

Zirg said:
I hear ya, Citay, and obviously Monty deserves all of our respect,BUT...we are "lucky" to have Travis, and he surely will get a more prominent gig sooner-than-later, for sure immediately if the Griz make the NCAAs again would be my bet. I have similar concerns about what the heck we are doing with a guy (Anderson) who has almost NO offensive abilities whatsoever starting. To me it's recruiting that I have criticism with Travis. As far as the team we have right now, we kinda HAVE to run a perimeter-game to maximize our talent.
Anderson will never be the inside guy. Owens played better when given the chance (more than 3 minutes). A very large problem with UM is the enormous numbers of fouls they are hit with. Game after game UM fouls pile up, no matter where or with whom they are playing. UM is among the nations' most foul prone. Because of the dependence upon defense, this will continue but it is not going to win a conference title.

GrizLA said:
Zirg said:
Anderson will never be the inside guy. Owens played better when given the chance (more than 3 minutes). A very large problem with UM is the enormous numbers of fouls they are hit with. Game after game UM fouls pile up, no matter where or with whom they are playing. UM is among the nations' most foul prone. Because of the dependence upon defense, this will continue but it is not going to win a conference title.

I think rotating Anderson and Blakney and Owens and encouraging them to be aggressive and taking fouls is actually beneficial, as none are good at being lock-down defenders. We are one of the best free-throw shooting team in the country. That is our best asset, so getting into a foul-fest benefits us, not that I think it's actually been a concerted effort.

Back