• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Downside of NIL and Easy Transfer Rules

The Griz should actively recruit the best Big Sky players from the bottom half teams. I mean would you rather play at IDSU or No. Col over Montana? I think it would be easy pickings

dupuyer griz said:
At some point in the next 10-15 years they will put in the equivalent of a salary cap on the nil deals. Until that happens, BCS football playoffs and championships will be decided by 5-6 teams. Everyone else can pound sand.

Pretty accurate assessment. Sixty to 65 teams will be it. The wannabe conferences and the small colleges will submit to the NCAA and let their funding come from the state and ticket sales. Kind of like it is now, right? Except the elite football schools will compensate their athletes as they do their coaches and administrators now.

I mean, Hauck made 400k to 500k last year to Saban's how many million? Billy, at age 41, is going to make 7.5 million to coach Florida. I actually think Billy is underpaid and Hauck overpaid. But, what do I know about college athletic finances?...

dupuyer griz said:
At some point in the next 10-15 years they will put in the equivalent of a salary cap on the nil deals. Until that happens, BCS football playoffs and championships will be decided by 5-6 teams. Everyone else can pound sand.
You're suggesting that is a change from recent years?

kemajic said:
dupuyer griz said:
I believe so, before the nil deals, it at least had the feeling that anyone could make a run. Obviously there are a few very good schools over the last 10 years. With the nil deals that are showing up, the ebbs and flows will disappear. 2-3 schools in the sec and big 10 will be offering enough nil money that it will always be those schools with the best players. As a Nebraska fan, I no longer feel like we could be at the top in a few years, and honestly, I watch less college football than I used to because of it. You’re more than welcome to disagree, opinions are important.

dupuyer griz said:
kemajic said:
I believe so, before the nil deals, it at least had the feeling that anyone could make a run. Obviously there are a few very good schools over the last 10 years. With the nil deals that are showing up, the ebbs and flows will disappear. 2-3 schools in the sec and big 10 will be offering enough nil money that it will always be those schools with the best players. As a Nebraska fan, I no longer feel like we could be at the top in a few years, and honestly, I watch less college football than I used to because of it. You’re more than welcome to disagree, opinions are important.

I expect that will probably be how it goes, but I think with the money we are seeing in some of these private or Christian universities, it wouldn’t be surprising to see someone put their money together like the SMU of yesteryear and pull in an unexpected recruiting or transfer hall. I think the only thing you can count on with the status quo of college football is that it won’t be the status quo tomorrow.

Back