• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Eloquent and powerfull essay by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

AZGrizFan said:
gotgame75 said:
Interesting and predictable "hot-take" from the white guy in Texas. Saying this is both, at once, obvious and the definition of white privilege.

I'd say you can't tackle black-on-black crime period without first addressing the culture of historical systemic racism that tells an entire people they don't matter.

Where do you think black-on-black crime has its origins? Some would say that black on black crime has its foundations in an Anglo-American culture that devalues black lives as less-than. If your entire cultural history has been informed by systemic bigotry and poverty that says your skin color means you are of less value, it's likely that subconsciously you are going to feel the same way.

OK, doctor. :lol: :lol:

Oh wow awesome comeback dude. Typical Trumpian response from the conservative Old White Guy in Texas. Instead of using actual intelligence and facts, you use a C-grade comeback that means literally nothing. You just have your Depends in a bunch because you, like the rest of conservative White America, are losing your grip on the world around you. Times are changing dude. Have fun celebrating ignorance and standing on the wrong side of history Boomer.

gotgame75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Oh wow awesome comeback dude. Typical Trumpian response from the conservative Old White Guy in Texas. Instead of using actual intelligence and facts, you use a C-grade comeback that means literally nothing. You just have your Depends in a bunch because you, like the rest of conservative White America, are losing your grip on the world around you. Times are changing dude. Have fun celebrating ignorance and standing on the wrong side of history Boomer.

We all see the same things but bring our own views into play. Personally, I live in an area where the majority of people are black, yet not dominant in politics even though the vote reflects reality. The one constant I see in the Low Country and Piedmont is the crimes of violence are usually black on black, and involve either drugs or booze. The Universality of guns makes shootings as common here as in Chicago. But, the gun lobby will allow nothing to be done, no common sense applied. Schools here, while legally integrated are not, really. I take offense of your response to AZGriz fan even though I know we are miles apart politically. We have right and obligations. As a 75 year old grad of UM and Stanford with stints at Cornell and U of Wash., I've managed to move from the straight racism held up in mid century Butte to the sophistication of Charleston. I've seen my share of riots and violence and yet, I never give up hope in America. Trump will be gone, someday, as we all will, but what remains will be for the young and here, in my adopted home town (for 6 months, anyway) the young black people of two HBCC are, even today, marching under a statue to honor the Confederate war dead and its treasonous cause. I think the vast majority of black people here and coast to coast are truly fine people who manage to control their tempers more often than not and learn to hide their feelings. I think when we all do that, eventually, the ideas we hold for the US will come to fruition. The times are not changing. The people are. So, try to hold your tongue and stop with the history Boomer cliche.

gotgame75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I couldnt’ give two shits about you or your opinion. Not gonna waste my time with some woke SJW who thinks they have all the answers. :roll: :roll:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29273182/drew-brees-stands-apology-flag-comments-response-president-trump

Proud Griz Man said:
teejay406 said:
people who want to change the subject and avoid dealing with the issue at hand.

Again, thank you teejay.
I did not change the subject. I am not avoiding anything.
Violence is a problem.
Police culture and resulting incidents are only part of the equation, and not the sole cause.

you obviously do want to change the subject, by diminishing it's seriousness.

Proud Griz Man said:
teejay406 said:
people who want to change the subject and avoid dealing with the issue at hand.

Again, thank you teejay.
I did not change the subject. I am not avoiding anything.
Violence is a problem.
Police culture and resulting incidents are only part of the equation, and not the sole cause.

you obviously do want to change the subject, by diminishing it's seriousness.

GrizLA said:
gotgame75 said:

We all see the same things but bring our own views into play. Personally, I live in an area where the majority of people are black, yet not dominant in politics even though the vote reflects reality. The one constant I see in the Low Country and Piedmont is the crimes of violence are usually black on black, and involve either drugs or booze. The Universality of guns makes shootings as common here as in Chicago. But, the gun lobby will allow nothing to be done, no common sense applied. Schools here, while legally integrated are not, really. I take offense of your response to AZGriz fan even though I know we are miles apart politically. We have right and obligations. As a 75 year old grad of UM and Stanford with stints at Cornell and U of Wash., I've managed to move from the straight racism held up in mid century Butte to the sophistication of Charleston. I've seen my share of riots and violence and yet, I never give up hope in America. Trump will be gone, someday, as we all will, but what remains will be for the young and here, in my adopted home town (for 6 months, anyway) the young black people of two HBCC are, even today, marching under a statue to honor the Confederate war dead and its treasonous cause. I think the vast majority of black people here and coast to coast are truly fine people who manage to control their tempers more often than not and learn to hide their feelings. I think when we all do that, eventually, the ideas we hold for the US will come to fruition. The times are not changing. The people are. So, try to hold your tongue and stop with the history Boomer cliche.

It's not a cliche if it's true. You only take exception because you are a "Boomer" yourself. I too live in an area very close to you, so I see these inequities first hand as well. While young adults are increasingly becoming dark skinned and liberal, the reality is every generation gets more conservative as it gets older. My dad is an 80 year old lifelong staunch Democrat that has been very politically active his entire life. Even though he won't admit it, he is pretty far from what would in today's climate would be considered "liberal". This is a predictable response to a rapidly changing world in which your age group is no longer the dominant force. It will happen to my generation someday just like it's happening to yours.

gotgame75 said:
GrizLA said:

It's not a cliche if it's true. You only take exception because you are a "Boomer" yourself. I too live in an area very close to you, so I see these inequities first hand as well. While young adults are increasingly becoming dark skinned and liberal, the reality is every generation gets more conservative as it gets older. My dad is an 80 year old lifelong staunch Democrat that has been very politically active his entire life. Even though he won't admit it, he is pretty far from what would in today's climate would be considered "liberal". This is a predictable response to a rapidly changing world in which your age group is no longer the dominant force. It will happen to my generation someday just like it's happening to yours.

That already tired cliché is just another broad generalization that poorly thought out arguments so often reiterate. But, one thing about being older is I don't care what you believe but I do notice you don't seem to be overly involved with the activism of your "dominant" group. Lots of young people from Claflin and South Carolina State, Delaware State, Bethune would welcome you if you are truly honest and want to step up in your enthusiasm for your place in the world.
Good luck with that, young man.

Back