• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU Football: BoT Votes To Keep Football D1 And In BSC

EverettGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
Ya...one professor caused a massive PR nightmare. EWU did a terrible job of minimizing this where most universities never would have let it get to this level.

His $300k donor comment fails to look at the funds raised for the new stadium...

Raised, or committed? A MASSIVE difference in the world of fund-raising. Commitments to a capital campaign are often dependent upon major hurdles being crossed first (e.g. a major donor steps up with a $15,000,000 gift, or 50% of the total funds required are raised during the quiet -- non public-- phase of the campaign as examples).

That's vastly different than cash in hand.

Raised...although $5 mil came from one individual as a gift. But yes, raised

Ursa Major said:
marceagfan5 said:
Unfortunately...

Marc,

As a fan, what are your views on a stadium location? I can understand the impulse to want a stadium on campus but having one in Spokane would likely increase attendance, your fan base and potential financial support.

Honestly, I think keeping the stadium on campus is a better idea… Cheney isn’t that far out of Spokane, and I don’t think the attendance numbers or donor levels would vary much if the stadium was in Spokane or Cheney.

Spokane is building a brand new stadium downtown for all the high school teams, that will also host, hopefully, other events, but I don’t think Eastern has any plans to use it.

What I do think needs to happen, is they need to scale back the current project. Easterns max capacity is probably 10k maybe 12k...What the university needs to do, is fix the visitor seating, and make some improvements generally to the stadium they have now, and that would make a huge difference.

marceagfan5 said:
Ursa Major said:
Marc,

As a fan, what are your views on a stadium location? I can understand the impulse to want a stadium on campus but having one in Spokane would likely increase attendance, your fan base and potential financial support.

Honestly, I think keeping the stadium on campus is a better idea… Cheney isn’t that far out of Spokane, and I don’t think the attendance numbers or donor levels would vary much if the stadium was in Spokane or Cheney.

Spokane is building a brand new stadium downtown for all the high school teams, that will also host, hopefully, other events, but I don’t think Eastern has any plans to use it.

What I do think needs to happen, is they need to scale back the current project. Easterns max capacity is probably 10k maybe 12k...What the university needs to do, is fix the visitor seating, and make some improvements generally to the stadium they have now, and that would make a huge difference.

I completely agree. Just a nice stadium with about 12k capacity and good flow would do wonders for EWU. I do think they’d do better numbers in Spokane with random stumblers-in, but maybe fewer students. The Gateway monstrosity should be scrapped in favor of your more reasonable approach to the situation.

CDAGRIZ said:
marceagfan5 said:

I completely agree. Just a nice stadium with about 12k capacity and good flow would do wonders for EWU. I do think they’d do better numbers in Spokane with random stumblers-in, but maybe fewer students. The Gateway monstrosity should be scrapped in favor of your more reasonable approach to the situation.

It may be worth a trial run at Joe alibi for a year...student attendance would drop but overall attendance may increase. I think we can both agree something needs to be done about the current stadium but the gateway project will never happen, Nor should it...

marceagfan5 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It may be worth a trial run at Joe alibi for a year...student attendance would drop but overall attendance may increase. I think we can both agree something needs to be done about the current stadium but the gateway project will never happen, Nor should it...

I gotta agree with CDA here. If you want build a fan base that will show up for games and potentially donate to the program, you gotta play in Spokane.

That said, it’s WSU land and always will be. Perhaps the market is just too saturated and EWU will always just be a small fry in that market to WSU and Gonzaga b-ball. It’s too bad, winning a national championship and having the best record in the BSC over the past decade has done little to nothing for EWU in building a fan base or generating financial support.

You’ll always have Zips.

Ursa Major said:
marceagfan5 said:

I gotta agree with CDA here. If you want build a fan base that will show up for games and potentially donate to the program, you gotta play in Spokane.

That said, it’s WSU land and always will be. Perhaps the market is just too saturated and EWU will always just be a small fry in that market to WSU and Gonzaga b-ball. It’s too bad, winning a national championship and having the best record in the BSC over the past decade has done little to nothing for EWU in building a fan base or generating financial support.

You’ll always have Zips.

Good Lordy, I like In-N-Out, but I really miss Zips. There are still times when I think about grabbing a Papa Joe, and then remember that the nearest one is about 1,400 miles away. Tried to explain Zips to my family once. It didn’t take. “So, they make cheeseburgers?” “Yeah, but it’s like…*defeated* yeah, it’s cheeseburgers I guess.”

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

You’ll always have Zips.

Good Lordy, I like In-N-Out, but I really miss Zips. There are still times when I think about grabbing a Papa Joe, and then remember that the nearest one is about 1,400 miles away. Tried to explain Zips to my family once. It didn’t take. “So, they make cheeseburgers?” “Yeah, but it’s like…*defeated* yeah, it’s cheeseburgers I guess.”

Yet another insightful football post offered to the board, frick-n-frack. You two need to get a room. Discussing zippers and in-n-out must get you stimulated. We get it. You and your "special friend" have active libidos, and that in-n-out thingy never fails to satisfy.

marceagfan5 said:
EverettGriz said:
Raised, or committed? A MASSIVE difference in the world of fund-raising. Commitments to a capital campaign are often dependent upon major hurdles being crossed first (e.g. a major donor steps up with a $15,000,000 gift, or 50% of the total funds required are raised during the quiet -- non public-- phase of the campaign as examples).

That's vastly different than cash in hand.

So, what is your prediction for the Eagles this season? Do you finally have a defense, or is your formula still to just out-score your opponents?

hunt-ducks said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yet another insightful football post offered to the board, frick-n-frack. You two need to get a room. Discussing zippers and in-n-out must get you stimulated. We get it. You and your "special friend" have active libidos, and that in-n-out thingy never fails to satisfy.

What, exactly, do you mean by that?

hunt-ducks said:
marceagfan5 said:

So, what is your prediction for the Eagles this season? Do you finally have a defense, or is your formula still to just out-score your opponents?

I’d say the formula works pretty well, 5 semifinals, 2 championship appearances and one natty since 2010...

Eastern will be a solid playoff team this year as long as EB3 returns...all tough conference games are in Cheney, I’d say somewhere between 8-3 & 10-1

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:

What, exactly, do you mean by that?

I’m betting it’s bring the house down funny for the 4:00 dinner crowd at the Glendale Golden Corral.

marceagfan5 said:
hunt-ducks said:

I’d say the formula works pretty well, 5 semifinals, 2 championship appearances and one natty since 2010...

Eastern will be a solid playoff team this year as long as EB3 returns...all tough conference games are in Cheney, I’d say somewhere between 8-3 & 10-1

I’ve never been one to appreciate an Eag fan making a good point, but, I think you make a good point. I haven’t really looked too much at EWU’s schedule. At first glance, I think 8-3 could happen.

marceagfan5 said:
hunt-ducks said:

Your formula only works if you can keep finding great QBs. Sometimes, the cycle runs it's course. Defense is always the most important, except in the Big Sky.

hunt-ducks said:
marceagfan5 said:

Your formula only works if you can keep finding great QBs. Sometimes, the cycle runs it's course. Defense is always the most important, except in the Big Sky.

The QB cupboard is full...EWU always has a stud in waiting at QB. I don’t disagree with you on the Defense tho...it was laughable during the VA/Kupp years

Back