• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS A-Changin' ... WAC and Now ASUN

MikeyGriz said:
OrgonGriz said:
Will the FCS be going away completely? Maybe the reason we saw Georgia Southern, App State and others make the move a couple years ago. Combine that with these articles and it makes one wonder. Maybe it will be Power X , Group X are Div I and those that can’t make the move, like left over FCS are then consider as part of Div II?

If that’s the direction. That would totally suck and such a bummer for UM and all the $$ spent on the Champions Center etc to then compete on an even “lower” level than current.

What is the FBS gonna do when the Power 5 tells the NCAA to pound sand and takes their tv money with them? How many bowl games will still be viable?

Same shit happened in 84. The NCAA lost big time and began sucking hind tit. The leader of the NCAA, Emmert, who cut his teeth in Bozeangeles is in over his head. The bowls have more money than that fucking farce called March Madness. That's the real joke. The only reason the Power 5 have any semblance of big school playoff is because the NCAA brokered a deal with the money behind the bowls.

I personally like change. Can't stand staying in the same fucking place over two or three years. Just like the national average for school administrators. I also like to watch schools nobody thinks amount to a piece of shit build decent programs, especially if I know the individuals behind the efforts to change a shitty culture mired in mediocrity. I'd rather watch a kid, or school, compete rather than just participate.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
MikeyGriz said:
What is the FBS gonna do when the Power 5 tells the NCAA to pound sand and takes their tv money with them? How many bowl games will still be viable?

Same shit happened in 84. The NCAA lost big time and began sucking hind tit. The leader of the NCAA, Emmert, who cut his teeth in Bozeangeles is in over his head. The bowls have more money than that f###[#] farce called March Madness. That's the real joke. The only reason the Power 5 have any semblance of big school playoff is because the NCAA brokered a deal with the money behind the bowls.

I personally like change. Can't stand staying in the same f###[#] place over two or three years. Just like the national average for school administrators. I also like to watch schools nobody thinks amount to a piece of shit build decent programs, especially if I know the individuals behind the efforts to change a shitty culture mired in mediocrity. I'd rather watch a kid, or school, compete rather than just participate.

I don't believe the ncaa had hardly anything to do with setting up the BCS playoff system, and the ncaa is not involving with running it. The BCS schools run it. The BCS schools worked to set up the system, the television, and the bowl aspects, is my understanding.

"In April 2012, the BCS commissioners met in Florida and began to look at models for a four-team playoff. During the next two months, they discussed and debated several elements that would go into the new postseason model."

"On June 20, 2012, the commissioners met in Chicago and unanimously voted to recommend a four-team playoff with a selection committee, beginning in 2014 and lasting for 12 seasons, to the BCS presidential oversight committee. Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, speaking on behalf of the group in the Camelot Room of the Hotel InterContinental, announced, "We have developed the consensus on a four-team, seeded playoff."

On June 26 in Washington, D.C., the presidential committee unanimously approved the four-team model, which would include semifinal games at bowl sites and championship games at rotating neutral sites. The presidents also approved dates for the playoff games, the term of the agreement and a revenue-sharing model.

The playoff was born."

This quote describes how the Group of 5 conferences negotiated to be part of the playoff system and revenue. Note reference to Mike Slive, the SEC commissioner.

"Once the format was set, then we turned our attention to the selection procedures, the revenue sharing. Our Group of 5 then became more active to make sure that the revenue sharing was equitable, or at least there was a bigger share of the revenue that would be going to us. When you think about the previous financial model, there was $15-20 million a year going to the five conferences under the old format. Today, there's $75-80 million going to the five of us. It didn't come without some hard negotiation, and I credit Mike [Slive] and Jim [Delany] for their leadership to get us to a point where everybody was able to sign off. We knew that we had to get to that endgame. We couldn't risk some other format, some other model, that didn't include us. We knew we needed to remain under the CFP model. There was a very concerted effort by the big five [major conferences] to keep us."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/12002638/an-oral-history-college-football-playoff

However you feel about Haley, he does have good FCS sources. This article helps make some sense of what we’ve heard so far (some of it pretty confusing).
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20210129131613318285504&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Key quote:
Haley said:
Neither the ASUN nor the Western Athletic Conference, which two weeks [ago] announced it would form an FCS league this year, are at the NCAA minimum of six eligible schools for an automatic qualifying bid to the FCS playoffs. Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State are considering playing this fall as WAC associate members in football, which would make that conference eligible for an AQ, and Kennesaw State and North Alabama may remain in the Big South, which has an AQ, through the 2021 season.

These conferences "buy time" with the three ASUN teams possibly playing a year in the WAC and two staying with the Big South. In each case, they will need to pick up another "permanent" FCS football member. Sounds like the WAC is on track to do that, with Dixie State and Tarleton already in transition.

The ASUN could poach another football member from the Big South (Campbell seems ripe) or persuade someone like North Florida to take it up (apparently a hot topic on the NorFlor campus). At that point, the Big South would drop to five football members and lose its auto-bid. Not sure who they could pick up to get back to six, but they might be able to manage something.

Of course, the Southland is losing four members to the WAC and one to the ASUN, but that still qualifies them (barely) for the FCS auto-bid.

If the Big South somehow does retain its auto-bid, we end up with (as Haley notes) 15 auto-bids. Would not surprise me to see the overall number of bids go up at that point ... perhaps to 28. Would make for some "interesting" playoff scenarios to fit that many in.

Thanks for the info and link, Ida.

Another interesting one in the article:''

"About three-quarters of the 127 overall FCS programs are moving toward a spring season after all conferences postponed schedules this past fall due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

IdaGriz01 said:
If the Big South somehow does retain its auto-bid, we end up with (as Haley notes) 15 auto-bids. Would not surprise me to see the overall number of bids go up at that point ... perhaps to 28. Would make for some "interesting" playoff scenarios to fit that many in.

Please, God, NO. Just, NO.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Please, God, NO. Just, NO.
Scary thought, isn't it?

But unless the NCAA chose to deny auto-bids to some conferences, keeping the total at 24 would take away two at-large spots. The committee already takes a lot of heat from "good" teams that don't get bids. How much worse would that get with two fewer spots?

I had hoped there wouldn't be a way to go to 28 without stretching the playoffs out another week. I really don't think the NCAA would want to do that. But it turns out, it would be "easy-peasy." (Damn! :( ) You go back to having just 4 first-round byes, with the other 24 teams playing. Then the 12 winners and the 4 bye teams pair off. That takes it to exactly what you get with the 24-bid field, where 8 first-round winners meet the 8 bye teams.

Latest posts

Back