• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Genatone to portal

My take is McDowell was good enough to settle the offense and allow the team strengths carry them through the season. But on that note, that doesn't mean McDowell was necessarily a top 5 BSC QB or a top 25 FCS QB. I think there were quite a few QB's around FCS that could have had success as a Griz, it just doesn't seem that Vidlak was among them.

I was addressing a post that said McDowelll took the team to Frisco. I think UM would hade playoffs without McDowell
Okay, I am open minded, what do you have to support your position? AY2.0 and Huot were not ready, and still quite are not, yet. Vidlak? His mechanics, decision making, size, were all not what a D1 QB should have, or... maybe he just hasn't been a good fit at any of the schools he has gone to. Who was left? Brown deserves respect because that man has gotten ginsued by everyone, and he has stepped up when asked, but he wasn't the guy to lead the team to the playoffs, let alone the Natty?

I liked McDowell. He had character. I know some people think he didn't take the Town Pump classic serious enough. I loved the "Battle of the Brawl" statement. That was awesome.

The focus shouldn't be just about beating the kittens.

The focus and goal every year should be not just "making" the playoffs, but making the playoffs, getting a 1-4 seed, preferably a 1/2 seed, and getting to the NC. I know that was almost sacrilegious to Griz nation, but there are those of us who have been around for a very long time who thought it was incredibly hilarious. It shows he was focused on the prize, and that was just another game the team had to win to get there.

It's never a bad thing to have backups who can step in like he did after Vidlak didn't perform, and that's exactly what happened.

Okay, I am open minded, what do you have to support your position? AY2.0 and Huot were not ready, and still quite are not, yet. Vidlak? His mechanics, decision making, size, were all not what a D1 QB should have, or... maybe he just hasn't been a good fit at any of the schools he has gone to. Who was left? Brown deserves respect because that man has gotten ginsued by everyone, and he has stepped up when asked, but he wasn't the guy to lead the team to the playoffs, let alone the Natty?

I liked McDowell. He had character. I know some people think he didn't take the Town Pump classic serious enough. I loved the "Battle of the Brawl" statement. That was awesome.

The focus shouldn't be just about beating the kittens.

The focus and goal every year should be not just "making" the playoffs, but making the playoffs, getting a 1-4 seed, preferably a 1/2 seed, and getting to the NC. I know that was almost sacrilegious to Griz nation, but there are those of us who have been around for a very long time who thought it was incredibly hilarious. It shows he was focused on the prize, and that was just another game the team had to win to get there.

It's never a bad thing to have backups who can step in like he did after Vidlak didn't perform, and that's exactly what happened.
I have little to support my view, but as I said, "in retrospect". McDowell didn't look like he wanted to be there and he didn't play well or show anything. So, my thought is any decent qb would have given us a better chance, as, in retrospect, McDowell did nothing. My statement wasn't something special or profound. My view is that any time a qb had a bad game, or bad half (as judged after the game), another good qb may have done better and given the team a chance to do better. That's not say anyone should have pulled McDowell. All after-the-fact. If some posters hadn't kept talking about how wonderful McDowell was, I would never have made my comment.

I agree with some of your other stuff. However, it's absolutely clear to me that McDowell leveled off later in the season and stopped improving, and seemed to go backwards a bit in some games. He also looked like he didn't want to be out there in the second half in Frisco. To me, it wasn't just the competition. If he was hurt (and I had never heard that), then that would be a reason.

I have little to support my view, but as I said, "in retrospect". McDowell didn't look like he wanted to be there and he didn't play well or show anything. So, my thought is any decent qb would have given us a better chance, as, in retrospect, McDowell did nothing. My statement wasn't something special or profound. My view is that any time a qb had a bad game, or bad half (as judged after the game), another good qb may have done better and given the team a chance to do better. That's not say anyone should have pulled McDowell. All after-the-fact. If some posters hadn't kept talking about how wonderful McDowell was, I would never have made my comment.

I agree with some of your other stuff. However, it's absolutely clear to me that McDowell leveled off later in the season and stopped improving, and seemed to go backwards a bit in some games. He also looked like he didn't want to be out there in the second half in Frisco. To me, it wasn't just the competition. If he was hurt (and I had never heard that), then that would be a reason.
Interesting. Stats wise he absolutely peaked against MSU. The 11th game of the season, so I’m not sure how “later in the season” you’re referencing. In the playoffs, as the games got tougher, his stats were affected (as one would presumably expect). Same thing happened to the QB’s we played against. I was at the game and didn’t witness any point where I felt he “didn’t want to be out there”. Could have missed it, my seats weren’t very good on the 45 yard line.

Interesting. Stats wise he absolutely peaked against MSU. The 11th game of the season, so I’m not sure how “later in the season” you’re referencing. In the playoffs, as the games got tougher, his stats were affected (as one would presumably expect). Same thing happened to the QB’s we played against. I was at the game and didn’t witness any point where I felt he “didn’t want to be out there”. Could have missed it, my seats weren’t very good on the 45 yard line.
My info on McDowell came from observations, friends and a former longtime big sky coach, including as former head coach. With no axe to grinde. My coach friend had also played beyond first year of high school. I’m not judging by stats. I’m judging by how McDowell played. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t think McDowell’s play went done later in season. Not one of them thinks it was because of better competition, except you. Idaho, Davis and Cats were good teams and as good or better than some of the playoff teams UM played.

After having watched the playoff games live, then again to see what they did well and not so well, it's clear that the level competition greatly increased following the Delaware game. IMHO anyone who wants to say that isn't the truth, 2 OT game wins speaks for itself. Although the Furman game shouldn't have been that close. They were good but not great. The Griz shot themselves in the foot with seven penalties for 90 yards.

No one can say that NDSU wasn't a major step up in competition. If they do, they are high or suffering dementia. That statistically, NDSU should have won that game. The fans were the MVP of that game.

South Dakota State... Okay, people say Clif gave up, and I have to say I initially thought the same thing, because that's what it looked like.

30 Rushing attempts for 47 yards---Zero TDs.
28 Passing attempts for 212 yards, 165 of those were McDowell's not AY2.0. --- Zero Td's

Rushing Yards:
Y2.0: 2/-6
McDowell: 13/ 2
Ostmo: 6/18
Gillman: 7/18
Harris: 2/15

Receiving yards:
Fontes: 7/76
Shafer: 1/7
Ostmo: 5/43
Gillman: 5/31
Bergen: 4/25
White: 4/19
Deck: 2/15

Passing yards:
McDowell: 22-39-1/165
AY2.0: 6-7/47

Who quit on the team? There were 7 receivers who had 28 opportunities to score, yet never scored a point.

There were 3 RBs who had 15 opportunities to score, yet never scored a point. Harris had the longest run of 11 yards. Clif had the second longest at 10 yards.

The truth is the Jacks straight up shut UM's offense down. Period. It's not fair to say McDowell quit.

After having watched the playoff games live, then again to see what they did well and not so well, it's clear that the level competition greatly increased following the Delaware game. IMHO anyone who wants to say that isn't the truth, 2 OT game wins speaks for itself. Although the Furman game shouldn't have been that close. They were good but not great. The Griz shot themselves in the foot with seven penalties for 90 yards.

No one can say that NDSU wasn't a major step up in competition. If they do, they are high or suffering dementia. That statistically, NDSU should have won that game. The fans were the MVP of that game.

South Dakota State... Okay, people say Clif gave up, and I have to say I initially thought the same thing, because that's what it looked like.

28 Passing attempts for 212 yards, 165 of those were McDowell's not AY2.0. --- Zero Td's

Rushing Yards:

Receiving yards:

Passing yards:

Who quit on the team? There were 7 receivers who had 28 opportunities to score, yet never scored a point.

There were 3 RBs who had 15 opportunities to score, yet never scored a point. Harris had the longest run of 11 yards. Clif had the second longest at 10 yards.

The truth is the Jacks straight up shut UM's offense down. Period. It's not fair to say McDowell quit.
And 5 sacks for -34 yards sure makes the actual “rushing” stats look different. Four consecutive drops by WR’s makes the passing stats look different. Whatever…People are free to think what they want. Gillman gets that first TD across the goal line and I think that game looks a LOT different. Ce la vie…

And 5 sacks for -34 yards sure makes the actual “rushing” stats look different. Four consecutive drops by WR’s makes the passing stats look different. Whatever…People are free to think what they want. Gillman gets that first TD across the goal line and I think that game looks a LOT different. Ce la vie…
Sacks counting as negative rushing yards is among the stupidest things the NCAA does, and that’s really saying something.

Rushing Yards:

Receiving yards:

Passing yards:

Talk to some coaches.

Talk to some coaches.

Rushing Yards:

Receiving yards:

Passing yards:

Anyone who can’t see McDowell played poorly against SDS especially in 2d half doesn’t understand football.

McDowell had chance to score too.

I tend to agree with SinCity, there was a play right in front of me in the 3Q in Frisco where no O-lineman held their block and McDowell was smashed. Not having Mayginnes was big imho! In fact, that entire series was that way...after the fumble.

I tend to agree with SinCity, there was a play right in front of me in the 3Q in Frisco where no O-lineman held their block and McDowell was smashed. Not having Mayginnes was big imho! In fact, that entire series was that way...after the fumble.
We lost Mayginnes mid-season, and then Walker and Brown both got dinged late in the season to the point where they missed time? Might that have had something to do with McDowell's reduction in performance?

Or did he just "quit", PR?

We lost Mayginnes mid-season, and then Walker and Brown both got dinged late in the season to the point where they missed time? Might that have had something to do with McDowell's reduction in performance?

Or did he just "quit", PR?
Mayginnes started 1 game, I believe, and was "lost" shortly after NAU. Think he only played 1 more game. Walker and Brown were hurt mid-season. I said McDowell didn't play well late in season and looked like he didn't want to be out there in the 2d half of SDS game. Stick with the facts. Oh, and what you are saying or insinuating is not correct.

Wasn't this thread about Genatone? Seemed like a good athlete. That said, if you have three years to play in front of you, and a chance to start, on a team that just competed for a national championship. And still you don't think it's the place for you? What is there left to say?
Literally a handful of teams in college football get to experience what Griz players did in 2023. If that's not a good fit, then it isn't the school that's the issue. Very few teams are going to offer you better.

Mayginnes started 1 game, I believe, and was "lost" shortly after NAU. Think he only played 1 more game. Walker and Brown were hurt mid-season. I said McDowell didn't play well late in season and looked like he didn't want to be out there in the 2d half of SDS game. Stick with the facts. Oh, and what you are saying or insinuating is not correct.
You want to stick with facts? Walker was hurt in the DELAWARE game, that's game 12, not "mid season". In fact, posters on this very board were lamenting the fact that Bobby kept starters in up 30 points in the 4th in that game, both in the game thread and in post-game analysis threads. Paniloff played the entire Furman game and Walker played sparingly in the NDSU game. Walker was never 100% after that throughout the entire remainder of the playoff run. Neither was Brown. I'm no football genius but I'm pretty sure that losing your starting left tackle and guard riiiiight when the competition really ramped up probably impacted the QB's performance going forward. And remember, Brown was only starting because Mayginnes, who had started EVERY game (Butler, Utah Tech, Ferris & NAU) at LG until he stopped mid-play in the NAU game, never returned. That was game 4 of the season...unless gogriz.com is incorrect, mind you.

You want to stick with facts? Walker was hurt in the DELAWARE game, that's game 12, not "mid season". In fact, posters on this very board were lamenting the fact that Bobby kept starters in up 30 points in the 4th in that game, both in the game thread and in post-game analysis threads. Paniloff played the entire Furman game and Walker played sparingly in the NDSU game. Walker was never 100% after that throughout the entire remainder of the playoff run. Neither was Brown. I'm no football genius but I'm pretty sure that losing your starting left tackle and guard riiiiight when the competition really ramped up probably impacted the QB's performance going forward. And remember, Brown was only starting because Mayginnes, who had started EVERY game (Butler, Utah Tech, Ferris & NAU) at LG until he stopped mid-play in the NAU game, never returned. That was game 4 of the season...unless gogriz.com is incorrect, mind you.
Brown was hurt at PSU, 10th game of season (in the middle 5 games). Yes, on Walker. He was back, tho, and played fine. MayGinnes started 3 games (not 4; didn't start against Butler; look it up on gogriz), last being NAU. I think he played in only 1 other game after that but maybe another one or two.

You are welcome to think McDowell played well late in season and against SDS. But virtuallly no one will agree with you, no coach with agree with you, and you will be wrong.

Back