• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grade Coach Hauck's 2018 Recruiting Class

Coach said:
So what some of you guys are saying, is that you admit that facilities, fan bases and the town have nothing to do with putting a competitive team on the field. I agree by the way. Just like football is about fundamentals more than scheme, coaching is more important that all the smoke and mirrors

I get what you are saying, and I agree with some of it. I do think facilities, fan bases, and the town do have some effect on some recruits....so I am sure it is difficult to quantify. Coaching and recruiting probably plays a very large role too, obviously.

I give Bobby an A, reason is past recruiting success. Bobby knows how to get the most out of his guys and he will.

I give Bobby and this coaching staff an A+ myself! Just the transfers are the foundation to a damn good football team. Throw in all the blue chip lineman and you got yourself an outstanding class! Giving the WR's, on board, a chance to switch to defense and stay here, in school, is very, smart and honorable... These guys are the best athletes on the field and most played DB in high school. They will need to put on some muscle weight but that's no big deal. I can't see any holes anywhere!!! Now look at the coaching staff. That is unbelievable =150 years of D-I experience most of whom have worked with coach Hauck in the past. I love everything about this 2018 season! The Griz will win the BSC and make a playoff run as well!!! Go Griz! "We are Montana"! We are back guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Only an A+, pie-in-the-sky?

I thought it would have been at least
a-christmas-story-a-mugs.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AllWeatherFan said:
Only an A+, pie-in-the-sky?

I thought it would have been at least
a-christmas-story-a-mugs.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's some good, smart, tight crease in the pants work right there.

RobGriz said:
66volvo said:
Mamula is a big question mark. Game film only shows remarkable plays, of course, and he shows some serious speed off the ball...but. He played at Episcopal Academy, a small high-brow prep school outside of Philadelphia. His competition was not that great, comprised of other no-name preppies that emphasize lacrosse, field hockey and soccer. Football is not their trophy sport there. Episcopal Academy is like a B or C class high school in Montana. If he was that great, why did he not receive attention from the dozens of FCS schools in the East?

No knock on the kid. Hope he likes Missoula and the lifestyle of the West and fits in. Like all of us...hoping for some gems in this class. I'll assign a grade when the transfers show up.
He had some injuries that have gotten in his way.

I like us going after the out-of-state kids from small schools. They are more likely to fly under the radar and not gain as much exposure as those kids from the large schools (much like many of the numerous small school kids that have had success here from Montana). As Rob said, injuries probably play a factor in those type of guys gaining as much attention.

I'm not as worried about CB as some are. The 2 deep looks pretty solid with some sophomores. If we can get a couple receivers to successfully move over, we should be in good shape. I'd rather Hauck take his time in recruiting some good corners in next year's class than have made throw away offers to kids that he didn't have time to evaluate. Very difficult position to recruit. Sure it will be a priority next year.

MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
MTGRZ said:
bitterrootobserver said:
It appears that Eastern Washington had another stellar recruiting class. Many sites say #1 in Big Sky and top ten FCS nationally.

HOW? Seriously, HOW? Who in their right mind would chose a town and a field like that over UM, or even dare I say it, state? Just blows my mind that you would rather live and play in Cheny over Missoula or Bozeman.

I think this every year. As much crap is given back here and back and forth between Cat and Griz fans, it's hard to fathom how EWU consistently lands these guys over MSU and UM. I think both of our classes look very good this year and I'm very happy with the Cats, but how does EWU get the guys they do every year?
WA Griz stadium is the best in the FCS and Bobcat stadium has got to be top 10-15. EWU probably isn't in the top 80. Both MT schools are much better than EWU, the towns and scenery around Missoula and Bozeman and not even in the same conversation with Cheney. It's a head scratcher for sure. Impressive? Yes. Confusing. Very.

Very confusing. Both Montana programs have superior stadiums, fan bases, schools, college towns....I mean what is going on over there? Maybe the state of Washington has more talent in it than we give it credit for? Or are they getting lots of California and Oregon kids too? I just don't get it man.

I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear that many of those kids EWU signed were recruited very heavily or offered by UM or MSU. I don't put much stock into those star ratings either...

MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
MTGRZ said:
bitterrootobserver said:
It appears that Eastern Washington had another stellar recruiting class. Many sites say #1 in Big Sky and top ten FCS nationally.

HOW? Seriously, HOW? Who in their right mind would chose a town and a field like that over UM, or even dare I say it, state? Just blows my mind that you would rather live and play in Cheny over Missoula or Bozeman.

I think this every year. As much crap is given back here and back and forth between Cat and Griz fans, it's hard to fathom how EWU consistently lands these guys over MSU and UM. I think both of our classes look very good this year and I'm very happy with the Cats, but how does EWU get the guys they do every year?
WA Griz stadium is the best in the FCS and Bobcat stadium has got to be top 10-15. EWU probably isn't in the top 80. Both MT schools are much better than EWU, the towns and scenery around Missoula and Bozeman and not even in the same conversation with Cheney. It's a head scratcher for sure. Impressive? Yes. Confusing. Very.

Very confusing. Both Montana programs have superior stadiums, fan bases, schools, college towns....I mean what is going on over there? Maybe the state of Washington has more talent in it than we give it credit for? Or are they getting lots of California and Oregon kids too? I just don't get it man.

why would top recruits want to go to Eastern? to win. because scenery and stadiums aside EWU has done a lot more winning in recent years than either of the Montana schools. a whole LOT more.

BozAngelesGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
MTGRZ said:

why would top recruits want to go to Eastern? to win. because scenery and stadiums aside EWU has done a lot more winning in recent years than either of the Montana schools. a whole LOT more.

Stell and Tre Weed are going to be a pain in the ass for the BSC. Stitt offered Tre and Stell was recruited.

BozAngelesGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
MTGRZ said:

Can't argue that. But that had to start somewhere, so at some point EWU with all its short comings and without the history of winning that they have now, started getting these guys to come there.

Just impressive, that's all. They're doing something right, can't deny that.

HookedonGriz said:
Solid B+ for me. Dominated with 13 MT kids (most we've seen in a while) and they are the top dogs IMO.

Got excellent recruits in the trenches on both sides of the ball....lots of 2 and 3 star kids

Got excellent safety recruits in Robertson and Fouch....both 3 star

Got an FBS receiver in Sulser, one of the best receivers MT has ever produced.

Got a steal in Mamula, mark my words he is going to be a force.

I don't like to make it all about stars as they are very subjective, but it at least gives a bit of a baseline. I think we as a fan base are getting a little crazy about expectations when we are not happy with a class that has like 30 total stars to it.

Don't forget Hauck. Forget the last name, he's good. Scout team defensive player of the year for NAU.

Catsrgrood said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:

Can't argue that. But that had to start somewhere, so at some point EWU with all its short comings and without the history of winning that they have now, started getting these guys to come there.

Eastern also is 3 to 6 hours closer to their homes in Western Washington. Instate tuition. They can also take chances academically on kids. Play an exciting style that has won so it makes total sense how Eastern gets a lot of the Washington kids over Montana schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
Catsrgrood said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
MTGRZ said:

Eastern also is 3 to 6 hours closer to their homes in Western Washington. Instate tuition. They can also take chances academically on kids. Play an exciting style that has won so it makes total sense how Eastern gets a lot of the Washington kids over Montana schools.

In truth, I don’t believe either UM or MSU recruit Washington near as hard as they should. There’s a lot of talent out there, IMO.

RobGriz said:
dayday said:
Catsrgrood said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

In truth, I don’t believe either UM or MSU recruit Washington near as hard as they should. There’s a lot of talent out there, IMO.

Agreed. I think MSU is starting to see some more action out of there right now with Choate’s ties there. But it’s surprising there aren’t more Washington players on both squads.

Catsrgrood said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:

I honestly think Wa-Griz isn't as big of a recruiting advantage as we like to think it is. Kids go to school to (hopefully) get an education, win games, and in a few of their minds, go to the "next level". Our stadium is nice, but it isn't the big deal we make it out to be.

Look at NDSU. They play indoors, and NO indoor stadium in college is worth a crap. But their other facilities are really, really good. And they know they are joining a power-house program, and will win a lot of games. Start winning games regularly again, and they will come.

That said, the Champions Center is a big deal. Now we just need an indoor practice facility.

BozAngelesGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
MTGRZ said:

Just not at home. Past 10 years, we’ve got 10 home losses. You’ve got that many home losses in the last 8 years.

Bolded and underlined are not on the current GoGriz roster

2018 Transfers (4)
QB- Dalton Sneed 6'1" 200 (Transfer Fort Scott CC/ UNLV)
RB- Adam Eastwood 6’1” 215 (Transfer San Diego St)
S- Gavin Robertson 6'3" 225 (Transfer Arizona)
S- Robby Hauck 6’0” 185 (Transfer NAU)

2018 Signed (18)
QB- Garrett Graves 6'2" 190 (Eureka HS) Eureka, MT (Tuition)
RB- Drew Turner 6'0" 205 (Kalispell Glacier) Kalispell, MT (Partial)
FB- Levi Janacaro 6'1" 210 (Missoula Big Sky) Missoula, MT (Partial)
C- Conor Quick 6'2" 280 (Helena Capital HS) Helena. MT (Partial)
C/G- Cole Sain 6'4" 275 (St. John Bosco HS) Bellflower, CA (R 3 Star)
OL- Tyler Ganoung 6'4" 320 (Sunset HS) Portland, OR (R 2 Star)
OL- Sean Anderson 6'8" 310 (Verrado HS) Buckeye, AZ (R 2 Star)
WR- Gabe Sulser 5'9" 165 (Billings Senior HS) Billings, MT (R 2 Star)
WR- Nick Germer 6'2" 170 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT (3/4 Scholly)
TE- Cole Grossman 6’4” 205 (Skyview HS) Vancouver, WA (2 2-Star)
TE/WR- Max Morris 6'4" 230 (Glacier HS) Kalispell, MT (Partial)
TE- Colten Curry 6'7" 200 (Valier HS) Valier, MT (Partial)

DE- Milton Mamula 6'3" 220 (Episcople Academy) Newtown Square, PA
DT- Alex Gubner 6'3" 295 (Chaminade HS) Calabasas, CA (2 3-Star)
DE- Lorenzo Brown 6'3" 240 (Desert Pines HS) Las Vegas, NV (2 2 Star)
DL- Elijah Alford 6'1" 275 (Air Force Academy) (2 2 Star)

S- Nash Fouch 6'3" 185 (Woodinville HS) Woodinville,WA (S 3 star)
S- Jackson Pepe 6'1" 200 (Glacier HS) Kalispell, MT (Partial)

2018 Walk-ons (7)
ATH- Jace Schneider 5'8" 170 (Bellevue HS) Belleview, WA
QB/ATH- Seamus Hennessy 6'2" 185 (Corvallis HS) Corvallis, OR
OL- Trevor Welnel 6’3” 250 (Helena Capital) Helena, MT (T 1/18/18) (PWO)
OL- Cody Hartsoch 6'5" 260 (Glacier HS) Kalispell, MT (PWO)
LB- Braxton Hill 6’2” 210 (Anaconda HS) Anaconda, MT (T 1/24/18) (Grey Shirt)
S- David Koppang 6'0" 195 (Loyola Sacred Heart HS) Missoula, MT (T 9/20) (PWO)
P- Nathaniel Ferguson 6'1" 210 (Butte HS) Butte, MT (T 1/23/18) (PWO)

Paytonlives said:

2018 Transfers (4)

2018 Signed (18)

2018 Walk-ons (7)

Not sure what roster you are looking at.

grizindabox said:
Paytonlives said:

2018 Transfers (4)

2018 Signed (18)

2018 Walk-ons (7)

Not sure what roster you are looking at.

The three bottom bolded are on GG. Ferguson is Morin-Ferguson & there’s a thread on this side that indicates Grossman is coming, will be in school by fall of next season. Could this be tryptophan?

Latest posts

Back