• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ/UC Irvine

indian-outlaw said:
What is everyone complaining about? We really should be at the top of the heap in the BSC.

Unless you have a stellar out of conference, all being at the top of the heap of the big sigh gets you is a 14-16 seed.

I for one am disappointed because if the Griz are (were) able to put together a great ooc, plus kicking butt in the big sigh, combined with the strong showing against Michigan in the dance last year could potentially give the Griz an outside shot at an 11 seed or so. Fact is, you're not gonna get there losing to teams like UC Irvine and Georgia Southern in ooc.

Sport said:
I probably should take a deep breath, exhale and exit.

I think a lot of people should in this thread. Lots of doom and gloom about losing to a good UC Irvine team on the road. The way people are talking about the loss you'd think we just lost to a 2-9 team, not a 9-2 team that has wins over St Mary's and Texas A&M...

Sport said:
But I can’t go without saying how disappointed I am in the Grizzlies apparent lack of desire and fight tonight. Maybe UCI’s interior defense was better than I could see from the TV but we had no inside game. And where were Dorsey and Anderson? This is the most listless and disappointing game I have seen a Travis coached team play. This will have implications down the road. And the truly sad part.....UCI is not that good.

I'm disappointed as well and DeCuire sounded quite disappointed too. The Griz didn't play well tonight at all. UC Irvine does have a hell of a good defense (they make good teams look ugly on offense quite often), but that only accounted for some of the turnovers and issues on offense. The rest was sloppy passes, sloppy play, and as DeCuire said in the post game interview not being patient, not running the offense and not playing together. Too many quick shots that were contested without good ball movement. Can't do that against a good team and expect to win. It also of course accounted for the horrible shooting percentage.

Anyway it's an ugly loss, not a bad loss but an ugly one because of how the Griz played (especially the last 8 mins). Hopefully the Griz can get back to playing like they're capable of and have a good showing these last 3 non conference games. It'd be nice to finish out the non-conference with a couple more wins and go into conference play with some momentum.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
indian-outlaw said:
What is everyone complaining about? We really should be at the top of the heap in the BSC.

Unless you have a stellar out of conference, all being at the top of the heap of the big sigh gets you is a 14-16 seed.
A 14th seed would be about as good as it's going to get for a BSC team unless someone comes up with an extraordinary team. Did you really think we had better than that this year?. It's going to be a good year. Just wait until conference play.

CleanHOUSE said:
SDSU is better than this team and they have a super star big, I can see us winning there, and certainly not at Zona, I think there were some positives from tonight though 1. I think the D looked back to what it was last year with Akoh back we didnt give up much that was easy, it was the turnovers and letting them get into bonus so quick that allowed them to score. 2. Carter looks like he could be a legit number 2 big by the end of the year and maybe a Brian Quale type in a few years. 3. Ogi didnt have the yips at the FT line tonight

Griz will most assuredly lose both of these games and frankly, I'm not confident they'll beat NDSU at home the way they're playing.

indian-outlaw said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
indian-outlaw said:

A 14th seed would be about as good as it's going to get for a BSC team unless someone comes up with an extraordinary team. Did you really think we had better than that this year?. It's going to be a good year. Just wait until conference play.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be great to get in the Big Dance. I wasn't sure the Griz would be better this year, but I was hoping they'd be better this year and would improve on their 13(14?) seed from last year. I still think it'll be a good year. We still have a little time to see if it will be a SPECIAL year. However, I think in "special" years, you find ways to beat UC Irvine and Georgia Southern. There is still time to see if those losses don't appear to be as bad as they are now.

If Georgia Southern, UC Irvine and Creighton almost get in the tourney, these losses won't be all that bad at the end of the season. I will say it will be quite a disappointment if the Griz fail to make the big dance.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
If Georgia Southern, UC Irvine and Creighton almost get in the tourney, these losses won't be all that bad at the end of the season. I will say it will be quite a disappointment if the Griz fail to make the big dance.

Agreed. All 3 are looking pretty good right now. UC Irvine of course is 9-2 with some nice wins over SMC, T A&M and the Griz (despite the emo crowd thinking the Griz aren't a good mid major team & good win for UCI). Creighton put up a good showing against Gonzaga, has some good wins like against Clemson (16th at the time). Yeah they had a clunker against Nebraska where they forgot how to shoot the ball in the first half but still an impressive season so far for Creighton. And of course Georgia Southern is looking pretty good too sitting at 6-2 right now.

Honestly I think Georgia State is more likely to get in than Georgia Southern though. Georgia State was the better team I think and has a much more impressive resume so far with wins against Georgia (91-67) and a win @Alabama just a couple days ago. That win for the Griz will likely turn out to be a very good win in terms of RPI at the end of the season. Wish the Griz had Akoh against Georgia Southern... I think that game is a W for the Griz if we have Akoh or Falls.

Hope the Griz can get back on track against NDSU. Right now the Griz don't have a loss that'll likely be considered "bad" in terms of RPI. If they lose to NDSU they'll have one. NDSU is struggling this year and the Griz should be able to get a W against them. If they don't win then it's time for a little panic I'll admit.

Potomac Griz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Agreed. All 3 are looking pretty good right now. UC Irvine of course is 9-2 with some nice wins over SMC, T A&M and the Griz (despite the emo crowd thinking the Griz aren't a good mid major team & good win for UCI). Creighton put up a good showing against Gonzaga, has some good wins like against Clemson (16th at the time). Yeah they had a clunker against Nebraska where they forgot how to shoot the ball in the first half but still an impressive season so far for Creighton. And of course Georgia Southern is looking pretty good too sitting at 6-2 right now.

Honestly I think Georgia State is more likely to get in than Georgia Southern though. Georgia State was the better team I think and has a much more impressive resume so far with wins against Georgia (91-67) and a win @Alabama just a couple days ago. That win for the Griz will likely turn out to be a very good win in terms of RPI at the end of the season. Wish the Griz had Akoh against Georgia Southern... I think that game is a W for the Griz if we have Akoh or Falls.

Hope the Griz can get back on track against NDSU. Right now the Griz don't have a loss that'll likely be considered "bad" in terms of RPI. If they lose to NDSU they'll have one. NDSU is struggling this year and the Griz should be able to get a W against them. If they don't win then it's time for a little panic I'll admit.

The NCAA has scrapped RPI this year in favor of a system called NET Rating. As of now (https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings), Northern Colorado has the best rating of Big Sky teams at 88. Montana is second at 104. Other Big Sky teams: Weber 152, Southern Utah 171, Portland State 186, Sac State 223, Idaho 274, idaho State 277, Eastern Wash 296, NAU 303 and MSU 329 .

Your non-conference foes so far: Creighton 56, Irvine 99, Ga Southern 123, Ga State 128, Miami 145. North Dakota State is at 195. Really your schedule and your current rating are still pretty solid. But you won’t get many opportunities to improve that rating once conference starts, with UNC the only team ranked higher.

Back