• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How FCS Playoff Selection works and guidelines

grizindabox said:
Cuervohola said:
Thanks for posting.

If it starts with Win/Loss followed by Strength of Schedule, then the Fargo Heated Hillbillies wouldn't be a guaranteed top seed. They will be, assuming they beat their final 2 opponents, outside the top 25. If the Win/Loss criteria is 95 percent of the vote, and Strength of Schedule is 5 percent, The Fargoes get the nod.

The Top 25, in order of Strength of Schedule...

1) Sac St. 124
2) Weber 136
3) Montana 141
4) N. Iowa 143
5) Cent. Ark. 149
6) Illinois St. 152
7) Towson 154
8) SE Missou St. 156
9) JMU 157
10) Fargoes 158
11) SD St. 162
12) Villanova 169
13) Kitties 172
14) Nicholls 182
15) SE Louisiana 193
16) Furman 199
17) Austin Peay 203
18) Dartmouth 208
19) Wofford 212
20) Monmouth 214
21) KENNESAW 224
22) NC A&T 225
23) Florida A&M 232
24) Princeton 233
25) Central CT 244

I think you are making assumptions. I read that as a list of what they consider, but see nothing that states in what order they must be considered or how each is weighted.

They also don't use the true SOS, they use the SRS, of which SOS is only part.

grizindabox said:
grizindabox said:
Cuervohola said:
Thanks for posting.

If it starts with Win/Loss followed by Strength of Schedule, then the Fargo Heated Hillbillies wouldn't be a guaranteed top seed. They will be, assuming they beat their final 2 opponents, outside the top 25. If the Win/Loss criteria is 95 percent of the vote, and Strength of Schedule is 5 percent, The Fargoes get the nod.

The Top 25, in order of Strength of Schedule...

1) Sac St. 124
2) Weber 136
3) Montana 141
4) N. Iowa 143
5) Cent. Ark. 149
6) Illinois St. 152
7) Towson 154
8) SE Missou St. 156
9) JMU 157
10) Fargoes 158
11) SD St. 162
12) Villanova 169
13) Kitties 172
14) Nicholls 182
15) SE Louisiana 193
16) Furman 199
17) Austin Peay 203
18) Dartmouth 208
19) Wofford 212
20) Monmouth 214
21) KENNESAW 224
22) NC A&T 225
23) Florida A&M 232
24) Princeton 233
25) Central CT 244

I think you are making assumptions. I read that as a list of what they consider, but see nothing that states in what order they must be considered or how each is weighted.

They also don't use the true SOS, they use the SRS, of which SOS is only part.

Yeah, and they leave everything else to the imagination...

"The NCAA SRS will not “force select” any teams into the championship; rather, it is one of several resources that the Division I Football Championship Committee will have at its disposal when debating the merits of teams under consideration for championship selection."

Notice... No mention of Briefcases of cash exchanging hands in the Heated Hillbilly Dome.

Cuervohola said:
grizindabox said:
... They also don't use the true SOS, they use the SRS, of which SOS is only part.

"The NCAA SRS will not “force select” any teams into the championship; rather, it is one of several resources that the Division I Football Championship Committee will have at its disposal when debating the merits of teams under consideration for championship selection."

Notice... No mention of Briefcases of cash exchanging hands in the Heated Hillbilly Dome.
And good luck finding the SRS (Simple Rating System) numbers. So far as I can tell, they only calculate those at the end. As of this moment, the numbers at the NCAA FCS web site were posted on November 18, 2018. I've yet to find any site that even tries to "simulate" the NCAA process.

IdaGriz01 said:
Cuervohola said:
grizindabox said:
... They also don't use the true SOS, they use the SRS, of which SOS is only part.

And good luck finding the SRS (Simple Rating System) numbers. So far as I can tell, they only calculate those at the end. As of this moment, the numbers at the NCAA FCS web site were posted on November 18, 2018. I've yet to find any site that even tries to "simulate" the NCAA process.

Because that would be a Catch-22: If you try to "simulate" the process, you're insane. If you just go with the flow you're sane, but don't know squat about the SRS.

IdaGriz01 said:
Cuervohola said:
grizindabox said:

I bet if someone talked to a person in the NCAA and put them on the spot, they would have no bloody clue how anything is determined. On the up and up, that is...

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:
Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:
Only if you believe that Weber won't be a top 8 seed.

...and that msu makes the playoffs.
:bad:

Which scenario would be worse for Choach's career at msu?

1) Lose to the Griz and not make the playoffs?

2) Lose to the Griz, make the playoffs, and then lose again to the Griz in the playoffs?
I guess the first one assuming we lose to Davis this weekend.

The 2nd one would be annoying but at least we’d be in the playoffs. It’d be an amazing feat for sure considering they haven’t beat him once in three years so twice in one season would be hard to swallow.

HLNGriz said:
I do believe that Weebs gets a 5-8 seed and MSU is a bubble team that makes it in. Committee would put them together because of geography.

The committee will set it up so that Weber State hosts (presumed they're seeded) an "At Large" Bobcat team (assuming they win a 1st round game).

1. They're physically close.
2. They're conference foes who have never played this year.

In some toppy turvy universe if MSU is somehow seeded and WSU is not they'll will set up bracket as described above only with MSU hosting in round #2. Either way the committee will structure the bracket so these two can collide. Count on it. :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
HLNGriz said:
I do believe that Weebs gets a 5-8 seed and MSU is a bubble team that makes it in. Committee would put them together because of geography.
The committee will set it up so that Weber State hosts (presumed they're seeded) an "At Large" Bobcat team (assuming they win a 1st round game).

In some toppy turvy universe if MSU is somehow seeded and WSU is not they'll will set up bracket as described above only with MSU hosting in round #2. Either way the committee will structure the bracket so these two can collide. Count on it. :ugeek:
Have to agree ... because of reason 1 and 2. I would expect the committee to somehow find a way.

Grizzlies1982 said:
HLNGriz said:

Yeah, It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Especially since the other presumed BSC playoff contenders (SAC, WSU & um) have played each other in the regular season.

UND is still a possible at large bid, they would likely travel to SAC or um.

If UCD wins out they are a possible at large also, they would likely travel to NDSU or UNI since they have already played all the BSC playoff contenders

I'm too lazy to google it....someone remind me how many byes are in the first round? 4 or 8?

I think 8 get the bye, the remaining 16 play weekend after Thanksgiving.

Iowagriz said:
I'm too lazy to google it....someone remind me how many byes are in the first round? 4 or 8?

I think 8 get the bye, the remaining 16 play weekend after Thanksgiving.

Correct. The 8 seeded teams all get a bye.

I don't think the committee will do it, but assume that the Griz beat the Cats for a second...

when you stack up the resume's between Montana and JMU, you could easily make the case the Griz should be the #2 seed. Big Sky is the second toughest rated conference according to Saragin (sp) ratings. 4 teams currently in the top 10 in the Big Sky Conference. Griz had a much tougher strength of schedule.
Griz can add another top 10 road win to their resume this week.

In the event the Griz lost this weekend, which would be the preferred seed, I would think you would want an odd number seed, such as #5 or #7 as opposed to 6 or 8. I would rather play NDSU in the chipper then earlier in the playoffs. How far would the committee move the Griz back with a loss on the road to current #8 team?

Brother Bear said:
I don't think the committee will do it, but assume that the Griz beat the Cats for a second...

when you stack up the resume's between Montana and JMU, you could easily make the case the Griz should be the #2 seed. Big Sky is the second toughest rated conference according to Saragin (sp) ratings. 4 teams currently in the top 10 in the Big Sky Conference. Griz had a much tougher strength of schedule.
Griz can add another top 10 road win to their resume this week.

In the event the Griz lost this weekend, which would be the preferred seed, I would think you would want an odd number seed, such as #5 or #7 as opposed to 6 or 8. I would rather play NDSU in the chipper then earlier in the playoffs. How far would the committee move the Griz back with a loss on the road to current #8 team?

If UNDSU is #1 and you want to avoid them as long as possilbe, #4, #5, & #8 are bad. A Griz loss probably makes them a 7/8

I believe Kent Haslam is on the selection commitee. The Cats will get in at 8-4, play the worst team in the field at home, and then travel to Fargo......sound familiar.

Back