• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Interview with Female Coach at Dartmouth

Listen to the audio link in the story. Same as the article, but better to listen than read it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/14/657238901/spending-the-day-with-the-first-woman-to-coach-division-i-college-football-full-

I was involved in the broadcasting industry for decades but never built a crystal set. How the hell could that be... ?

PlayerRep said:
For Zirg:

I just looked up mid career average salaries of Dartmouth, UM and MSU.

$150,800 for Dartmouth. $84,500 for UM. $94,300 for MSU.

Dartmouth ranked 8th in the country. UM ranked 711th. MSU was 394th.

I would’ve thought Dartmouth was much higher, I would bet Tech is higher than all 3. Well maybe not, because I think they have some non-engineer degrees now.

Yeah Tech is highest in state but down the list, although some of their degrees are top 20 degrees

GGNez said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Zirg said:
It's par for the course for Dartmouth. Nobody goes to Dartmouth because of their football prowess anyways so it's impossible to hurt recruiting and falls in line with their determination to be "progressive". They've produced 4 NFLers in the last 22 years. Montana can claim 29 in the same period.

I don’t see how being “progressive” comes into play. Either they are good at what they do and bring good coaching to the table or they don’t. If they don’t, then adios. If UM had some female coaches and still kicked ass, what would be the beef? Sure, Dartmouth is a bastion of liberalism wrapped up in an Ivy League pedigree. But if these coaches do a good job, who cares if they are women.

It's always good to be reminded that most men aren't sexist. Thanks for the post, PDX. Your daughter is a lucky little girl. It's quite an interesting study in psychology to read some posts and try to determine what it is about women in certain professions that some guys find so off-putting and...."icky". Fascinating, really. A little creepy but interesting.

Well, I'll let those more qualified speak to many of your points. But the "icky" thing is quite easy to describe: girl germs! I mean, c'mon.

EverettGriz said:
GGNez said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Zirg said:
It's par for the course for Dartmouth. Nobody goes to Dartmouth because of their football prowess anyways so it's impossible to hurt recruiting and falls in line with their determination to be "progressive". They've produced 4 NFLers in the last 22 years. Montana can claim 29 in the same period.

I don’t see how being “progressive” comes into play. Either they are good at what they do and bring good coaching to the table or they don’t. If they don’t, then adios. If UM had some female coaches and still kicked ass, what would be the beef? Sure, Dartmouth is a bastion of liberalism wrapped up in an Ivy League pedigree. But if these coaches do a good job, who cares if they are women.

It's always good to be reminded that most men aren't sexist. Thanks for the post, PDX. Your daughter is a lucky little girl. It's quite an interesting study in psychology to read some posts and try to determine what it is about women in certain professions that some guys find so off-putting and...."icky". Fascinating, really. A little creepy but interesting.

Well, I'll let those more qualified speak to many of your points. But the "icky" thing is quite easy to describe: girl germs! I mean, c'mon.

Solid point.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
For Zirg:

I would’ve thought Dartmouth was much higher, I would bet Tech is higher than all 3. Well maybe not, because I think they have some non-engineer degrees now.

Yeah Tech is highest in state but down the list, although some of their degrees are top 20 degrees

Tech is 164th now, at $107,000

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
For Zirg:

Tech is 164th now, at $107,000

It’s those computer degrees, and OSHA (environmental engineering) fault

According to the Wall Street Journal, Mid-Career Median Salary at UM is $71,900. MSU is $77,500 and Dartmouth is $134,000. What was your source PR?

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Salaries_for_Colleges_by_Type-sort.html

grizpsych said:
According to the Wall Street Journal, Mid-Career Median Salary at UM is $71,900. MSU is $77,500 and Dartmouth is $134,000. What was your source PR?

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Salaries_for_Colleges_by_Type-sort.html

The site I saw had two lists. One for undergrads only, and another that included advanced degrees.

grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:
Everyone is welcome to find their own sources for stats and post them.

Yeah. I'm not calling you out, I'm honestly interested in your source. :thumb:

It looks like his numbers are from Payscale.com, at least the Tech numbers

ordigger said:
grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:

I saw that. But, payscale is for alumni. Not for people that actually work there. I figured he would be able to comprehend that.

grizpsych said:
ordigger said:
grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:

I saw that. But, payscale is for alumni. Not for people that actually work there. I figured he would be able to comprehend that.

No idea, I just see the the Tech number is the same. How does anyone really know anyway? I never have told my alumni group, nor anyone else what I make, beginning, mid or end career.

ordigger said:
grizpsych said:
ordigger said:
grizpsych said:

No idea, I just see the the Tech number is the same. How does anyone really know anyway? I never have told my alumni group, nor anyone else what I make, beginning, mid or end career.

Well, for mid-career, they have to either collect self-reports or make up some sort of rule for what means beginning career, mid-, and late-career. Of course this type of data is prone to being skewed, usually in favor of people that think they make a good salary. However, in some states like here in Missouri, all public employees' salaries are easily available to the public. https://www.sos.mo.gov/bluebook/2017-2018

Edit: If you know my name, you can find my base 10 month salary at that link.

grizpsych said:
ordigger said:
grizpsych said:
ordigger said:

Well, for mid-career, they have to either collect self-reports or make up some sort of rule for what means beginning career, mid-, and late-career. Of course this type of data is prone to being skewed, usually in favor of people that think they make a good salary. However, in some states like here in Missouri, all public employees' salaries are easily available to the public. https://www.sos.mo.gov/bluebook/2017-2018

I’m not even sure my employer knows or cares where I went to school. We are on our 4th owner since 2011. Personally I just want my end career to keep improving over my mid career.

ordigger said:
grizpsych said:
ordigger said:
grizpsych said:

I’m not even sure my employer knows or cares where I went to school. We are on our 4th owner since 2011. Personally I just want my end career to keep improving over my mid career.

I'm sure they don't. What matters to your employer is if you can do the job. Frankly, undergraduate degrees mean crap when comparing different institutions. It's a) you have one and b) you actually know what you are doing.

Edit: But this post was about what people make working at the institutions. Not what their alumni make.

grizpsych said:
ordigger said:
grizpsych said:
ordigger said:

I'm sure they don't. What matters to your employer is if you can do the job. Frankly, undergraduate degrees mean crap when comparing different institutions. It's a) you have one and b) you actually know what you are doing.

Edit: But this post was about what people make working at the institutions. Not what their alumni make.

Lol Got it. I missed that. I know there are some well placed Tech alumni so that explains the low number.

Did our current head coach ever play college football?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Bobby did his higher studies at the University of Montana (1988) and UCLA (1991).[2] Hauck never played football at the collegiate level, instead competing in track at Montana before getting into coaching."

Bobby never played football in college he ran track. One of the better TV broadcasters IMHO is Pam Ward. She did a couple of our games back when you could actually watch our games. You know, before Goofy started covering our games ...or maybe that's Pluto...one of those dogs. Women can learn the game. They are for the most part better workers then men. We already have women refs. I'm waiting for the first female coach get into a yelling match with a female ref.

Back