• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Tim Hauck Coming Home?

alabamagrizzly said:
PeauxRouge said:
Maybe sooner.

So are you saying he’s about to retire and Tim doesn't want the job?

Quite the cryptic comment that I’m not sure we should read too much into unless there is more there that solid info. At this point Baer is still on staff.

Why do you all assume he would come back only as defensive cordinator? I've seen no indication that Bobby want to get rid of Baer either. I could see a scenario where Tim Hauck is a position coach or consultant then if Baer retires taking over. Either way if you add Tim hauck to what I believe maybe the best overall coaching staff in FCS it's a net positive.

grizingatorland said:
Why do you all assume he would come back only as defensive cordinator? I've seen no indication that Bobby want to get rid of Baer either. I could see a scenario where Tim Hauck is a position coach or consultant then if Baer retires taking over. Either way if you add Tim hauck to what I believe maybe the best overall coaching staff in FCS it's a net positive.

You can only have so many on field coaches and I think we are full there. Anyways with Tim’s coaching experience and coach Baer’s age it is a logical connection. However, it seems to be just mere speculation on here at this point.

dayday said:
grizingatorland said:

You can only have so many on field coaches and I think we are full there. Anyways with Tim’s coaching experience and coach Baer’s age it is a logical connection. However, it seems to be just mere speculation on here at this point.

It may be just speculation now, but Tim did tell Bobby and others, when Bobby returned to UM, that he would like to return to UM to coach with Bobby after he followed the Eagle's good path to some championships for a few years. I don't think he didn't want to return to UM a few years ago; it was that he wanted to work with the Eagles, who had a good team, for a few more years. That seems to be ending.

While I would love to see it happen, Tim is still on the Eagles payroll and one of the last standing remaining coaches on defense currently. It would seem he would have been out the door with the others if he wasn’t staying on board there. But here’s to wishful thinking and here’s to Baer for being with us.

I realize that Baer is old and nearing the end of his career, and he is not inclined to be involved in recruiting. But he has had lots of experience as a DC at major schools. Tim is obviously much younger, but what experience does he bring? One or two years at UNLV which were not good,( but then again it was UNLV). He is presently an assistant to an assistant at Philly. We have all heard players like Dante Olsen praise Baer for what they have learned from him. I'm waiting for similar comments from someone coached by Tim.

maroonandsilver said:
I realize that Baer is old and nearing the end of his career, and he is not inclined to be involved in recruiting. But he has had lots of experience as a DC at major schools. Tim is obviously much younger, but what experience does he bring? One or two years at UNLV which were not good,( but then again it was UNLV). He is presently an assistant to an assistant at Philly. We have all heard players like Dante Olsen praise Baer for what they have learned from him. I'm waiting for similar comments from someone coached by Tim.
I'm sure he didn't learn a thing regarding overall defense in 13 years in the NFL. He is a student of the game. Get real. The DC still has position assistants whether it's Baer or Hauck.

maroonandsilver said:

Tim is listed as Safeties coach. He is not an assistant to an assistant, or to the the Secondary Coach.

Aren't all the Eagles coaches still listed on the website including Pederson?

maroonandsilver said:

He also coached at UCLA as DB coach besides coaching at UNLV and Montana. In the NFL he’s been a defensive back or safety coach at Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns and Philly. Talk to Shann or Colt Anderson how good of a coach they think he is. Plus 12 years in the NFL playing. He’s plenty experienced. Not sure this comment is well placed.

No doubt I think Tim would like to come back someday and maybe that’s soon. However, coach Baer is still on staff. No doubt very experienced and he’s done well here so I’m just not going to speculate without something more concrete as some here go way overboard on it. That’s my take of course.

Tim Hauck is an exceptional recruiter. A game changer quite frankly. Obviously he knows X’s and O’s. Don’t underestimate the level of energy and passion he would bring to any position he takes. His coming back to Montana would be a MAJOR development. That is not a knock on Baer and what he has done.

I hope Baer doesn't read eGriz. He might get the idea people are trying to shove him out the door in favor of Tim Hauck. :roll:

tourist said:
I hope Baer doesn't read eGriz. He might get the idea people are trying to shove him out the door in favor of Tim Hauck. :roll:

That is what always happens on egriz. The nepotism with griz sports in general is something I've never understood. I agree adding Tim Hauck would be awesome but forcing out Baer or even the people here hoping he leaves is the typical small minded thinking I've seen from many griz fans for years. I'm from Montana and I love seeing the guys from instate do well coaching and playing for UM but I also feel that it holds the program back at times. I hope Tim Hauck does comeback. If Baer want to stay he should be able to and when he does retire I would hope UM would do a honest national search and hire the best guy not the best guy born with a 406 area code.

grizingatorland said:
tourist said:

That is what always happens on egriz. The nepotism with griz sports in general is something I've never understood. I agree adding Tim Hauck would be awesome but forcing out Baer or even the people here hoping he leaves is the typical small minded thinking I've seen from many griz fans for years. I'm from Montana and I love seeing the guys from instate do well coaching and playing for UM but I also feel that it holds the program back at times. I hope Tim Hauck does comeback. If Baer want to stay he should be able to and when he does retire I would hope UM would do a honest national search and hire the best guy not the best guy born with a 406 area code.
No problem, it's only money we don't have. We do not do national searches for assistant coaches routinely. A national search would turn up zero candidates wanting the job at its pay with the credentials of Tim Hauck. He would be a special opportunity for the program.

kemajic said:
grizingatorland said:
No problem, it's only money we don't have. We do not do national searches for assistant coaches routinely. A national search would turn up zero candidates wanting the job at its pay with the credentials of Tim Hauck. He would be a special opportunity for the program.

Your probably right about the financial issue but then that leaves me with the question how do they afford the guys they currently have. Somebody has to be paying them some how.

kemajic said:
grizingatorland said:

He would be a huge special opportunity for the Griz. His reputation, the story of the brothers both coming home, encouragement from and for alumni would make for a great story that would have legs for a long time. The impact on recruiting athletes, especially in state, and even student recruitement to UM would be a huge win. This is all before his coaching abilities come into play, which I honestly have no idea about, but you have to assume since he's at the NFL level are awesome.

Being honest, Cat fans (me) would publicly be "pshhh...whatever" and privately "oh crap...."

grizingatorland said:
kemajic said:

Your probably right about the financial issue but then that leaves me with the question how do they afford the guys they currently have. Somebody has to be paying them some how.
No one said current assistants don't get paid; not sure from where you got that. They are paid from the AD budget, but at this level, they don't get paid enough and the job would not be attractive to anyone with close to Tim Hauck's credentials. To take this job, Tim would probably earn about 1/10 of that he currently earns. Unlike the other UM assistants who work for low pay because they need the money and/or the opportunity to move up, Tim would do it because of his ties to the program, to the state and for his love for the game. You don't play 13 years in the NFL for seven different teams as an undersized DB, then coach many more years at that level without a serious love of the game nor without accumulating a wealth of knowledge of how defenses work.

kemajic said:
grizingatorland said:
No one said current assistants don't get paid; not sure from where you got that. They are paid from the AD budget, but at this level, they don't get paid enough and the job would not be attractive to anyone with close to Tim Hauck's credentials. To take this job, Tim would probably earn about 1/10 of that he currently earns. Unlike the other UM assistants who work for low pay because they need the money and/or the opportunity to move up, Tim would do it because of his ties to the program, to the state and for his love for the game. You don't play 13 years in the NFL for seven different teams as an undersized DB, then coach many more years at that level without a serious love of the game nor without accumulating a wealth of knowledge of how defenses work.

Spot on! :thumb:

Back