• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kale Edwards in the Portal

No, not even close. McDowell was a hired mercenary that attended U of M for one semester. He did an amazing job and will probably go down as one of my top 5 fav Griz QB’s. Kale committed here out of high school, practiced and played for 4+ years, and is now taking a chance to elevate his NFL stock. Playing in a 3 man front as DE for the Griz wasn’t gonna do it. How the heck did you come to that conclusion? You definitely did not understand me correctly.
my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, as I DO get it, believe it or not...mostly aimed at those firing shots across McDowell's bow for no reason.

my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, as I DO get it, believe it or not...mostly aimed at those firing shots across McDowell's bow for no reason.
Gotchya, I did not pick that up. I’m definitely a Team McDowell guy(I get the irony in that😂) and wish he would’ve stayed one more year. I don’t hate him though for wanting to move on, whatever the reason is. I’m not even surprised or really that bummed when guys like Kale or Genatone want to leave. It’s kinda the norm now. You've either got to become very accepting of the current state of the portal or numb to it. Honestly it’s not like we get these guys for 10 years anyway. In truth a college career is very short lived and you have to have a next man up mentality or eventually you’re gonna fall on your face. Like it was stated in another thread, this may be the deepest this team has ever been. Maybe a bit thin on experience at some positions but the potential of the up and comers is more promising then I can remember in a while.

In what way, other than timing?
McDowell turned out to be just a mercenary, just in it for himself. Didn't establish roots nor probably friends in Missoula. Made some rash and goofy decisions. Almost comical now. Gave up a chance to help a good team get back to Frisco. Seemed to be in driver's seat for the job. Edwards came from high school. Put in several good years and showed very well. Good athlete and versatile. Apparently got to a place where he wanted to play a different position from what was being requested. Has the chance to figure out and achieve what he wants. He's going forward. I wish him well and hope to gets what he wants. McDowell is going backwards.

McDowell turned out to be just a mercenary, just in it for himself. Didn't establish roots nor probably friends in Missoula. Made some rash and goofy decisions. Almost comical now. Gave up a chance to help a good team get back to Frisco. Seemed to be in driver's seat for the job. Edwards came from high school. Put in several good years and showed very well. Good athlete and versatile. Apparently got to a place where he wanted to play a different position from what was being requested. Has the chance to figure out and achieve what he wants. He's going forward. I wish him well and hope to gets what he wants. McDowell is going backwards.
McDowell, it seems, transferred to maximize his earning capabilities for what is certainly the final year he will play football.

Edwards, it seems, is transferring to help prove himself through production, proper position opportunity, elevated competition (perhaps), and film. If and when he goes and plays a true edge in a four-man front, produces, and then gets a chance to work out for pro scouts, he runs well enough and has the length that pro scouts want that I believe he'll at least get a shot.

Hmm.

Marshall was 6-7 last season. They lost a bowl game in front of about 11,000 people at Toyota Stadium in Frisco TX. Marshall averaged about 23,000 fans at home last season.

So why didn’t the coaches let him switch to LB? Did they not think he could do it? Or did they know they are weak at DL and couldn’t afford to lose him at that spot (which they did anyway)?

So why didn’t the coaches let him switch to LB? Did they not think he could do it? Or did they know they are weak at DL and couldn’t afford to lose him at that spot (which they did anyway)?

Very good question. And why do they only have one natural DT on the roster at a time? (Unless we are still counting Ramos, who seemed to either have unrealistic expectations coming in, or is permanently in the doghouse.)

Are they specifically struggling to recruit DL size for some reason? Is there a systematic advantage to an undersized DL in a 3-3-5?

With some of the LB/DEs brought in and some of the smaller bodies rotated on the front, it feels like they're almost going for a positionless front 6. Where DTs are declared in the weight room instead of born.

McDowell, it seems, transferred to maximize his earning capabilities for what is certainly the final year he will play football.

Edwards, it seems, is transferring to help prove himself through production, proper position opportunity, elevated competition (perhaps), and film. If and when he goes and plays a true edge in a four-man front, produces, and then gets a chance to work out for pro scouts, he runs well enough and has the length that pro scouts want that I believe he'll at least get a shot.
Could be some NIL money involved too. That's the new reality we live with.

Very good question. And why do they only have one natural DT on the roster at a time? (Unless we are still counting Ramos, who seemed to either have unrealistic expectations coming in, or is permanently in the doghouse.)

Are they specifically struggling to recruit DL size for some reason? Is there a systematic advantage to an undersized DL in a 3-3-5?

With some of the LB/DEs brought in and some of the smaller bodies rotated on the front, it feels like they're almost going for a positionless front 6. Where DTs are declared in the weight room instead of born.
I've been told by a former Griz assistant defensive coach that D-tackles are the most difficult to recruit for FCS teams, because the good ones are snapped-up by FBS schools.

Back