• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kale Edwards in the Portal

These players quit on us, are not team players, didn't want to compete, and are only in it for themselves. Good riddance.

^^^Am I doing this correctly or is it different for these guys?
It depends on whether they were good teammates, liked and respected by teammates and coaches, selfish, liked Montana, and-or pains in the rear.

It depends on whether they were good teammates, liked and respected by teammates and coaches, selfish, liked Montana, and-or pains in the rear.
So, as long as a player likes Montana and is liked by the coaches, bolting for another program because the coaches wanted him to play a position he didn't want to play, is not selfish. Is that correct?

I should add that I have nothing against an individual athlete being selfish and finding the right fit. Just trying to wrap my head around the soft factors that make one player "selfish" and another "unselfish".

His X feed (FKAT) says he is looking forward to an official visit with Marshall. I hate seeing him leave the Griz, but it's better than him staying in conference. It would give me a reason to go watch the Herd play.

I live exactly three miles from Joan C. and haven't gone to a single game. Thought about it. It's sort of tough to get into a program when there is no connection of any type, and they were our rivals once upon a time.

I do make it a point to sport all of my Griz gear on Fridays in the office and have my Griz flags up at the house. I am a marron dot in a sea of ugly green.

So, as long as a player likes Montana and is liked by the coaches, bolting for another program because the coaches wanted him to play a position he didn't want to play, is not selfish. Is that correct?

I should add that I have nothing against an individual athlete being selfish and finding the right fit. Just trying to wrap my head around the soft factors that make one player "selfish" and another "unselfish".
Don’t know. I was talking about being selfish while playing UM, not by leaving. I am not trying to define all of what is or isn’t selfish in college football. If I am around someone alot, I can often see if someone is selfish.

So why didn’t the coaches let him switch to LB? Did they not think he could do it? Or did they know they are weak at DL and couldn’t afford to lose him at that spot (which they did anyway)?
My understanding, with Colter reporting it publicly, is that he believes in the pros he projects to be an edge in a 4 front. We don't have a 4 front at all.

I don't know any truths about any conversation around olb, so I got nothing for you there on why he isn't switched to lb.

Yes, except that there are plenty of athletes that play WR or CB...far fewer DT that are dominant I think.
I agree...but it appears there are quite a few teams willing to let him play LB or TE...I would assume he's made that clear to those that are offering. Not sure why we wouldn't want him on the field in some capacity and just flat out refuse his request...very "Bobby-like"...

FWIW, I think he'd have been a beast at OLB. They must REALLY like what they have at that position...

FWIW, I think he'd have been a beast at OLB. They must REALLY like what they have at that position...
Not 100% sure if this would have been the case, but if putting Kale on the field at rush OLB means taking Riley Wilson off, then I'm glad they didn't do that.

Not 100% sure if this would have been the case, but if putting Kale on the field at rush OLB means taking Riley Wilson off, then I'm glad they didn't do that.
Rumor has it Wilson has been playing more inside. I’m not sure this would have had a direct influence. Regardless it’s not an option anymore lol.

I don't think changing schools and transferring is selfish. Especially with coaches so easily moving and getting fired etc.. But there are also players that are bad locker room guys etc. I have never heard that about any of the former Griz that have transferred this year. It has to be a challenge for coaches to find that balance between finding talented guys that can intergrate well with a new team in the portal world. And it has to be hard for players to integrate with new teammates. It is a whole new world of college athletics.

I don't think changing schools and transferring is selfish. Especially with coaches so easily moving and getting fired etc.. But there are also players that are bad locker room guys etc. I have never heard that about any of the former Griz that have transferred this year. It has to be a challenge for coaches to find that balance between finding talented guys that can intergrate well with a new team in the portal world. And it has to be hard for players to integrate with new teammates. It is a whole new world of college athletics.
I agree. There have to be even more new challenges than the obvious ones we can see from the outside. One thing I think changes HS recruiting is that a lot of coaches recruit the portal pretty heavily now for good reason. If you are the coach of a mid-level FBS program, would you rather spend a scholarship on a guy with like two or more years of DI experience, or a guy getting ready for prom? No-brainer on average, right? As a result, I think we will continue to see more FCS-to-FBS transfers nationwide, which dovetails into what I've been repeating about our HS recruiting strategy (I'll spare everyone from repeating it again). Very interesting times.

I agree. There have to be even more new challenges than the obvious ones we can see from the outside. One thing I think changes HS recruiting is that a lot of coaches recruit the portal pretty heavily now for good reason. If you are the coach of a mid-level FBS program, would you rather spend a scholarship on a guy with like two or more years of DI experience, or a guy getting ready for prom? No-brainer on average, right? As a result, I think we will continue to see more FCS-to-FBS transfers nationwide, which dovetails into what I've been repeating about our HS recruiting strategy (I'll spare everyone from repeating it again). Very interesting times.
And I wouldn't waste a red shirt on a real talented player that can play some right away knowing they might be gone in a year or two.

This works both ways though. As a FCS coach, do you spend a scholarship on a high school kid or a FBS dropdown? No-brainer on average, right?

I agree...but it appears there are quite a few teams willing to let him play LB or TE...I would assume he's made that clear to those that are offering. Not sure why we wouldn't want him on the field in some capacity and just flat out refuse his request...very "Bobby-like"...
Yes, I would let him play in front of Grossman.

If you don’t get kids from high school, you probably won’t have a chance to get them later. So far, for Griz football, most kids who could play at FBS level don’t depart. Obviously, there’s evaluation and a balance. Tough for coaches.

Back