• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kyndall Keller commits to Lady Griz

Sounds like an excellent pick, very much like Gologoski a superb regional high school guard. And we recruited Fatkin, a nationally ranked guard. The results: Fatkin saw less floor time, left the team. Gologoski comes off the bench, the team overall struggles. Looks like Keller will be excellent for the team, as they need by default, guard replacement due to graduations and departing players.

grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:
So between the roster and the incoming recruits, we number by my count eleven players from Montana.

If you live in Montana, and know the players or friends and relatives of the players (which is an easy thing to do among 800,000 or so people) this is a wonderful thing. It's fun to root for people you know. And nothing like Montanans to represent Montana. I've said before, Montana has produced some exceptional female basketball talent over a stretch of many years now, and Jamie Pickens might be one of the best.

But if you live out of state, and retain a keen interest in Montana basketball, you have to wonder, is this a good thing? Or a prescription for mediocrity--especially when that in-state talent is shared with Montana State and other programs outside the state. Could the Men's program compete as it does with a majority of its players from Montana? And if that answer is no, as it most certainly is, you have to wonder why the same doesn't apply to the women.

I say, Good Luck with your program, Shannon. I think you're going to need it.

Good post, citay. As a preface: I don't agree or disagree, primarily because I know (and respect) your philosophy about how the "mix" or "mixes" (being vague here) of athletes that develops winning programs (men and women) into winners... I've read your posts over the past several years and they're consistent and logical.

Via most perspectives (which I've taken at times) I agree with you. But "most" hasn't counted for this particular program, because it was built from its foundations by a native Eastern Montana hooper who starred as a Griz point guard of lore (for Jud Heathcote), then stuck around to build the best women's program in Big Sky Conference history... I repeat: history, mainly with Montana natives or players from not too distant locales. It's so simple to prove: count the championship flags in Dahlberg arena! Robin Selvig's loyal assistant coaches were almost always former players, and the best of those "former" players (coach Schweyen) became his lead assistant before she assumed his role as head coach. It is what it is because it was built that way. Simply put, it was a successful formula and coach Schweyen -- stepping into huge sneakers -- hasn't changed things too drastically (despite speeding up the Lady Griz pace of play considerably). Factors have probably demanded that she not change too much (with the highest attendance in the Big Sky, you probably don't want to shake things up too quickly).

A huge irony with your current statement is that just last week coach Schweyen got ripped for "missing out" on the recruitment of two recruits with Montana connections (a senior from Missoula and a senior who is the daughter of a former Lady Griz guard... both deciding to head to Bozeman). Part of the irony is that she STILL filled those scholarships with... you guessed it: Montana athletes. I'll let the irony rest, because it's probably part of the historic reality that great coaches are a tough act to follow and a coach is probably damned regardless of the changes (or lack thereof) she makes.

Without dragging up the circumstances of the past two years under coach Schweyen, here's the simple truth: she probably has only one season (this upcoming season) to turn things around. Success will come (or it won't) with the players currently in this year's program. You, citay, may disagree with the composition of this Montana team, but it's been like this since 1980. Rather than argue with you, I'd suggest you (as a Griz alum) to follow and support this team (a team with a huge weight on its shoulders... one it shares with its coach) for one more season.

Am I ignoring those "mixes?" Sort of. I think it's a quandry that will take time to change, for various reasons. It won't, however, stop me from enthusiastically following this team.

I'll finish with this: I watched EVERY home LG game this past season from the bleachers, and most road games via some kind of stream. With that perspective I am willing to argue that -- until mid January when injuries again blindsided this team -- the LG were on track to finish the season as a top 3-4 team in the Big Sky. I'm also willing to argue that the current makeup of players from: Montana (8), Washington (3), Idaho (2), and Oregon (1) is capable of Big Sky title contention this season.

So, citay, I'm going to outwardly wish coach Schweyn and her assistants... and her mix of tough and talented players a hearty mix of Good Wishes. The only luck they'll need is the luck to (for a change) avoid the injury curse. Otherwise, they've got what it takes to do some damage in the Big Sky this year.

Really....--" hasn't changed things too drastically (despite speeding up the Lady Griz pace of play considerably). Factors have probably demanded that she not change too much (with the highest attendance in the Big Sky, you probably don't want to shake things up too quickly)."

Shannon is a very different coach than Robin. Rob had a mantra...if you can't play defense you won't get on the court. Shannon is the total opposite. If you can't play offense you won't get on the court....much. In the words of Pat....Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships. Shannon is no Pat. She is also no Rob. And as for attendance and donor support...way down!!! I know why those girls went to MSU...it had part to do with Shannon's Reputation and the fact that Binford is a great coach!! The tide has shifted and now MSU is the go to team in Montana if Binford will take you. All five of her starters are from out of state. Only one on the roster from Montana...and they will probably win the Big Sky.

Back