• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Large number of Idaho FB players involved in brawl; lineman sucker punches son of large donor

@ElrodGrizzly - if you have access to using the Onedrive, web browser version of MS Word, you can upload an audio file and word will do the transcribing and load it into a doc for you. Probably not helpful now, but if you take upon the endeavor again....;)
My man. That's great advice. I honestly didn't even know about that tool, and there are a number of times it would have been really helpful. I'd actually prefer that for a lot of podcasts that I tune in to for only one piece of it. A good ctrl+f in that could save me an hour of listening. Thank you.

Also, I will be directing my only client in Elrod's Technology Consultancy in your direction from now on. 3-7-77, he is now the first string, and I will be a good locker room guy supporting him. Lots of towel waving and the like.

Thank you very much for doing this, Elrod. And man, this is not a good look for that program. The entire thing was planned and coordinated? Yeeeks.
I'm not a lawyer, but premeditation with masks and weapons kind of makes it sound like a much bigger crime.

I'd kind of like to hear the football players' thought on where their head was even at. This sounds so absurdly wrong and offensive that I just can't figure out how 44 college athletes thought this would be a thing that they got away with doing. WTF were they thinking? I keep thinking there must be another side to this, but unless it is just completely fabricated I cannot imagine a good rationale for that kind of action.

Thank you very much for doing this, Elrod. And man, this is not a good look for that program. The entire thing was planned and coordinated? Yeeeks.
How was it "coordinated"? How many players or people had PVC pipe? How many had masks? Are you sure these were players?

Why have charges not been brought yet? The player who hit and hurt the one guy, was immediately identified. Why hasn't he been charged with misdemeanor or felony assault?

I'm not a lawyer, but premeditation with masks and weapons kind of makes it sound like a much bigger crime.

I'd kind of like to hear the football players' thought on where their head was even at. This sounds so absurdly wrong and offensive that I just can't figure out how 44 college athletes thought this would be a thing that they got away with doing. WTF were they thinking? I keep thinking there must be another side to this, but unless it is just completely fabricated I cannot imagine a good rationale for that kind of action.
The d-lineman who punched the guy, and hurt him, didn't have a ski mask or a pipe (presumably).

Is there a crime of premeditated assault? I don't know. How could it be known that that guy was planning to do anything? I assume a lot of the players didn't do anything. There probably weren't enough frat wimps to punch. (Disclosure, I was a Beta Theta Pi).

How was it "coordinated"? How many players or people had PVC pipe? How many had masks? Are you sure these were players?

Why have charges not been brought yet? The player who hit and hurt the one guy, was immediately identified. Why hasn't he been charged with misdemeanor or felony assault?
I have no personal knowledge. Only what's reported in the article. Which says 44 players. I can't answer your questions on charges. Perhaps they're still investigating. Perhaps they don't give two shits. Perhaps it is an msDui type situation where the DA is in the president's pocket. Perhaps ask those questions to Colter since he just interviewed their head coach.

I have no personal knowledge. Only what's reported in the article. Which says 44 players. I can't answer your questions on charges. Perhaps they're still investigating. Perhaps they don't give two shits. Perhaps it is an msDui type situation where the DA is in the president's pocket. Perhaps ask those questions to Colter since he just interviewed their head coach.
Perhaps you shouldn’t make assertions and draw conclusions when you have no knowledge of the situation.

I guess you've never been in a fight or a brawl. I suppose the law doesn't care if the recipient deserves it or not, but I do. I recall that you have said you were perfectly well behaved when you were younger. Until I was in 6th grade or so, I had to defend myself and my friends almost everyday.
Nope, never been in a fight my whole life but that was mostly cus I was the guy that everyone liked. The only sucker punch I received was from my dad and I definitely didn’t deserve that one. Definitely was not a good kid though, or at least once I turned 17. Mentioned on here several times my run ins with the law and in and out of jail in my late teens/early twenties. Even there though I was never in a fight cus I had many friends that had certain reputations that you didn’t want to mess with. Did come very close to getting in a gun fight in a brief time of my life where I made several poor decisions. Still thank God i didn’t make one that night. Back to our point, yes, the law doesn’t care if he deserves it and what you think doesn’t matter.

Reactions: RVF
The d-lineman who punched the guy, and hurt him, didn't have a ski mask or a pipe (presumably).

Is there a crime of premeditated assault? I don't know. How could it be known that that guy was planning to do anything? I assume a lot of the players didn't do anything. There probably weren't enough frat wimps to punch. (Disclosure, I was a Beta Theta Pi).
I mean, I can't speak to premeditated or your early question about why there have been no charges. It sounds like a lot of Idaho folks are frustrated with the pace of the internal investigation. Quotes from a Spokesman article back in February making clear that SOMETHING happened that was an issue, and charges are still somehow pending --

Dean of Students Blaine Eckles wrote to one of the injured students in an email Monday that the school has opened an investigation into the fight. In the email, he said the incident was “a tumultuous event involving a lot of people,” and that the student was “on the receiving end of some physical altercations.”

“While I don’t know why this occurred, I want to make sure you are okay,” Eckles wrote. He then encouraged the student, a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity, to respond to officials reaching out about the incident to assist with the investigation, and offered resources for mental health help.

Director of Athletics Terry Gawlik said she and the school’s football coach, Jason Eck, are aware of the incident from Saturday that involved members of the football team and that they are currently prioritizing the health, safety and wellbeing of their athletes.

“We are working together to bring resolution to this situation,” Gawlik said.

None of the players have been suspended and Gawlik does not know how many players were involved, she said.

Beta Theta Pi President Michael Farris said their chapter is cooperating with police and the university at this time. They are “looking to get this issue properly and promptly handled so that our fraternity and the Greek community do not have to continue to worry about the football players acting in this criminal manner,” Farris said via email. He declined to go into detail about the fight due to the ongoing investigation.

Moscow City Attorney Mia Bautista declined to comment because the case is also under investigation with their office.

You and many others on this board know far more than me about the law. From a layman's point, it seems like there is a criminal investigation ongoing that leads to all parties intelligently not talking.

If there had been a campus and/or police investigation that cleared the players of wrongdoing, then they would have certainly screamed to the heavens that the football team did not commit a large scale pre-meditated attack. There would be media articles if the University or criminal investigation had reached a conclusion that crimes had happened. So the only assumption is that the investigations must be ongoing on both fronts, in my estimation.

Part of me wants us all to remember our experience with kids being accused and found guilty in the media and internet when they were found innocent in court, and part of me is really frustrated that it seems like if it happens in Missoula we get all the media attention and our own city turns on the football team before anybody gets more facts. I guess I have a lot of thoughts about these situations, and I don't totally know how to reconcile them, if I am truly honest.

Back to what was previously posted, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. There’s been many studies done about mob mentality and how one or two ass hats can influence a group just because the group is afraid to rock the boat.

Nope, never been in a fight my whole life but that was mostly cus I was the guy that everyone liked. The only sucker punch I received was from my dad and I definitely didn’t deserve that one. Definitely was not a good kid though, or at least once I turned 17. Mentioned on here several times my run ins with the law and in and out of jail in my late teens/early twenties. Even there though I was never in a fight cus I had many friends that had certain reputations that you didn’t want to mess with. Did come very close to getting in a gun fight in a brief time of my life where I made several poor decisions. Still thank God i didn’t make one that night. Back to our point, yes, the law doesn’t care if he deserves it and what you think doesn’t matter.
Good kid or not, you grew up to be a good man. Kudos to you in a lot of ways, my brother.

And if you want to be able to say you got in a fight, I'll let you put on a mask and we can hit each other with PVC pipes.

Back to what was previously posted, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. There’s been many studies done about mob mentality and how one or two ass hats can influence a group just because the group is afraid to rock the boat.
That's actually a damn good point. I've only truly experienced mob mentality twice in my life, and both times were really weird to look back on.

Good kid or not, you grew up to be a good man. Kudos to you in a lot of ways, my brother.

And if you want to be able to say you got in a fight, I'll let you put on a mask and we can hit each other with PVC pipes.
Appreciate that and thanks for the kind words but I kind of wear it as a badge of honor that I’ve never once been in any type of fight. I’m pretty sure I’m in a very tiny group of males that can say that. That being said, I did wrestle for a year in high school and did not do very well and I’ve always been a small guy so I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have faired very well in a fight😂.

C’mon, why would a brawl that reportedly involved about half the team ever come up in an interview with the HC?

Appreciate that and thanks for the kind words but I kind of wear it as a badge of honor that I’ve never once been in any type of fight. I’m pretty sure I’m in a very tiny group of males that can say that. That being said, I did wrestle for a year in high school and did not do very well and I’ve always been a small guy so I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have faired very well in a fight😂.
Psh. Fine. I will find somebody else to PVC swordfight with.

Back