• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Largest FCS Stadia (Stadiums)

IdaGriz01

Just found this posted at the NCAA.com web site.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-07-16/25-biggest-fcs-football-stadiums-country
Lead-in:
Anthony Chiusano said:
When the Yale Bowl first opened in 1914, it was the largest stadium in the world. Today, that's not the case. But the historic venue still stands as the largest capacity primary stadium in FCS football.

Below are the 25 biggest stadiums that serve as primary settings for FCS football teams in 2019. This list excludes Nissan Stadium (69,143), which Tennessee State calls home for just two games per year.
WaGRiz is #11, BTW. And just so you know, of the top five in stadium size, only one – Jackson State – takes any advantage of their home venue. The other four are not even in the top-30 in attendance.

Edit: Not sure what happened to change the link to a list of FBS stadiums, but hopefully that's fixed now.

Here is the link to the FCS stadium list.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-07-16/25-biggest-fcs-football-stadiums-country

Just re-checked, and Mississippi Veterans Memorial Statium, Jackson State, is listed at 60,492 seats. Evidently, someone stole 16,000 seats. Maybe Dixie State decided to upgrade in preparation for its FCS debut.

I played in 5 of the top 9, counting a much bigger old Princeton stadium (about 45,000) as one of them. The old stadium was built in 1914 too. Harvard and Penn's stadium (Franklin field) were built earlier. The Eagles still played there when I played there. Harvard used to seat
almost 40,000. Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Princeton (old) were great stadiums. Cornell, not so much. Our Yale Bowl game attendances were 61,000 and over 50 or 55,000. The Yale Bowl has similarities to the Rose Bowl. The Giants played in the Yale Bowl for a few years, I believe.

While those stadiums are cool, coliseum-like, and historic, Griz stadium is a better place to watch a game.

PlayerRep said:
I played in 5 of the top 9, counting a much bigger old Princeton stadium (about 45,000) as one of them. The old stadium was built in 1914 too. Harvard and Penn's stadium (Franklin field) were built earlier. The Eagles still played there when I played there. Harvard used to seat
almost 40,000. Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Princeton (old) were great stadiums. Cornell, not so much. Our Yale Bowl game attendances were 61,000 and over 50 or 55,000. The Yale Bowl has similarities to the Rose Bowl. The Giants played in the Yale Bowl for a few years, I believe.

While those stadiums are cool, coliseum-like, and historic, Griz stadium is a better place to watch a game.

How the hell would you know, playing the game instead of watching? :lol: ;)

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

I've also watched in each of those stadiums. And, playing, I never lost a game in any of those stadiums. Lost only one game when I was playing. Played in every game I suited up for.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

I've also watched in each of those stadiums. And, playing, I never lost a game in any of those stadiums. Lost only one game when I was playing. Played in every game I suited up for.

I was just kidding you, PR. :thumb:

Actually, Wa-Griz is now twelve. The recently improved Providence Park where the PSU Vikings play has official seating of 25,218 which is one more than what Montana is listed as. Granted Providence Park is first and foremost a soccer stadium which means for football the fans will sit far from the sideline, at least on one side of the field but the redesign is really nice and I would certainly put it in the top half of the BSC as a venue. Of course PSU will have a tough time filling 20% of it but at least all those empty seats will be first class!

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

I know and I enjoyed the comment. Name-dropping alert. This kid, Brian, is staying at my house now. His dad and I played in all those stadiums together, back in the day. Brian has been using the weights on my deck, such as they are. https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/brian-o-neill/ I set up Colt Anderson for Thanksgiving at my friend's house in the Philly area, when Colt first went to the Eagles. Any Vikes fans out there?

Grisly Fan said:
Actually, Wa-Griz is now twelve. The recently improved Providence Park where the PSU Vikings play has official seating of 25,218 which is one more than what Montana is listed as. Granted Providence Park is first and foremost a soccer stadium which means for football the fans will sit far from the sideline, at least on one side of the field but the redesign is really nice and I would certainly put it in the top half of the BSC as a venue. Of course PSU will have a tough time filling 20% of it but at least all those empty seats will be first class!

Fuck soccer.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I know and I enjoyed the comment. Name-dropping alert. This kid, Brian, is staying at my house now. His dad and I played in all those stadiums together, back in the day. Brian has been using the weights on my deck, such as they are. https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/brian-o-neill/ I set up Colt Anderson for Thanksgiving at my friend's house in the Philly area, when Colt first went to the Eagles. Any Vikes fans out there?
You bet you're ass there are Vikings fans out here! Go Vikes!

Grisly Fan said:

Portland State officially no longer plays football at Providence Park. It's all Hillsboro.
https://www.1029thegame.com/portlan...-to-hillsboro-stadium-for-home-games-in-2019/
https://goviks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=144

So... Back to 11

druhag said:
Grisly Fan said:

Portland State officially no longer plays football at Providence Park. It's all Hillsboro.
https://www.1029thegame.com/portlan...-to-hillsboro-stadium-for-home-games-in-2019/
https://goviks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=144

So... Back to 11
Well right you are! I stand corrected. I am also a bit shocked. Providence Park is walking distance from PSU. albeit a rather long walk. However, given the attendance they draw, little Hillsboro Stadium is more appropriate but certainly nowhere as nice as Providence Park. PSU has such low attendance and gripes were loud enough last year about them playing out in Hillsboro (14 miles away) that I could see PSU considering dropping football someday soon. Their only sustained success was their days in Division II with Mouse Davis as HC and that was a loooong time ago.

The Ivy League and SWAC teams need to be in the playoffs already. Most of the Top 10 are theirs.

DuCharme said:
The Ivy League and SWAC teams need to be in the playoffs already. Most of the Top 10 are theirs.

The Ivies aren't in the playoffs because the Ivy presidents won't approve it.

DuCharme said:

The SEAC and MEAC are not going to piss all that money away on the playoffs when their bowls do as well as they are presently doing. One needs to experience their halftime bands at least once in a lifetime.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

What? Elaborate please.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

What? Elaborate please.

Please dont

Grisly Fan said:
Granted Providence Park is first and foremost a soccer stadium which means for football the fans will sit far from the sideline, Of course PSU will have a tough time filling 20% of it but at least all those empty seats will be first class!

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that because it is a soccer stadium you will sit farther away. Having been to the last Griz game there the seating was fine. Have you seen how far away you sit at some of these football stadiums?
As far as PSU is concerned they won't even be playing one single game in that stadium this year.

polsongrizz said:
Grisly Fan said:
Granted Providence Park is first and foremost a soccer stadium which means for football the fans will sit far from the sideline, Of course PSU will have a tough time filling 20% of it but at least all those empty seats will be first class!

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that because it is a soccer stadium you will sit farther away. Having been to the last Griz game there the seating was fine. Have you seen how far away you sit at some of these football stadiums?
As far as PSU is concerned they won't even be playing one single game in that stadium this year.

Providence Park had the smallest soccer pitch in all of the MLS. They increased the size by a fair amount during the remodel. I was just there last week and it is probably 10 yards wider and maybe also that much longer. And yes, as has already been noted, PSU will play in Hillsboro Stadium this year -- and maybe even from now on. And when I said "far away", I was using WA Griz as the standard.

Back