• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

M. R. back for a visit

Okay, let’s be honest. The white man’s drug is legal; the black man’s drug is illegal. You can’t separate drug laws in this country from racism.

Outlawing any drug is folly. As Prohibition proved. As a majority in this country now believe when it comes to marijuana. Only the Christian Taliban stands in the way.

citay said:
Okay, let’s be honest. The white man’s drug is legal; the black man’s drug is illegal. You can’t separate drug laws in this country from racism.

Outlawing any drug is folly. As Prohibition proved. As a majority in this country now believe when it comes to marijuana. Only the Christian Taliban stands in the way.

That’s an entirely different discussion.

Point stands: MRR’s drug of choice was and is still illegal. Mullins’ was and is not.

Huge difference.

citay said:
A discussion Micheal Ray wanted to have, among many not just black people in this country.

and 50 years later we're still having it....but the point stands.

Right. But injustice for one is injustice for all. And we all know that law and justice can be strange bedfellows.

Wait. So coke is considered a “black mans drug”?

What a world we live in.

But I should admit I’ve had a few (5) glasses of the best “white mans drug” from Napa tonight so what do I know?

ilovethecats said:
Wait. So coke is considered a “black mans drug”?

What a world we live in.

But I should admit I’ve had a few (5) glasses of the best “white mans drug” from Napa tonight so what do I know?

On that note we all agree.

citay said:
Right. But injustice for one is injustice for all. And we all know that law and justice can be strange bedfellows.

is it his implication that had Mullins been doing coke he wouldn't have been suspended for life?

Because, absent that, it's really an apples/oranges comparison...

And let's be honest, race/racism can be inferred in just about anything if one tries hard enough.

There have been many, too many NBA players to even mention by name, that were alcoholics(black or white).
Also, generalizing, cocaine was too expensive for blacks in the1980’s, i think Citay means “crack”, there is a difference. Cocaine was a rich man’s drug and still is. To compare Mullin to MR is laughable!. Getting kicked out of the NBA was good for MR and likely saved his life.

wyomingriz said:
There have been many, too many NBA players to even mention by name, that were alcoholics(black or white).
Also, generalizing, cocaine was too expensive for blacks in the1980’s, i think Citay means “crack”, there is a difference. Cocaine was a rich man’s drug and still is. To compare Mullin to MR is laughable!. Getting kicked out of the NBA was good for MR and likely saved his life.

I think he realized that, which is why he didn't go back when offered.

wyomingriz said:

What Citay is referring to is "The War on Drugs." Which did not happen to include alcohol--that had been dismissed as misguided folly many years before--but more generally those drugs used by blacks, including marijuana and cocaine. Addiction to alcohol got you a ticket the Betty Ford Center. Addiction to cocaine or even casual marijuana use, a ticket to prison, no matter any kind of addiction should be seen as a medical condition or psychiatric condition.

citay said:
wyomingriz said:

What Citay is referring to is "The War on Drugs." Which did not happen to include alcohol--that had been dismissed as misguided folly many years before--but more generally those drugs used by blacks, including marijuana and cocaine. Addiction to alcohol got you a ticket the Betty Ford Center. Addiction to cocaine or even casual marijuana use, a ticket to prison, no matter any kind of addiction should be seen as a medical condition or psychiatric condition.

Good points…. However, you are comparing MR to Mullin, MR also went into rehab like Mullin and not prison (not sure MR really had legal problems). I believe MR got a fair shake, and as he stated , “ David Stern saved my life”

Yup, both Mullin and Micheal Ray wound up in good places. High profile athletes always get a lot of help.

All’s well that ends well.

citay said:
I want to correct some misinformation that I posted earlier.

I had remembered that Richardson's career ended with the Warriors, and that his drug problems began in Oakland. Not so. He was traded back to the New Jersey Nets in 1983 and proceeded to have his most productive years in the NBA, playing there until February of 1986 when he was suspended by David Stern after his third violation for drug use. Nor was it a lifetime ban. He was eligible for re-instatement in 1988 but decided instead to stay in Europe.

Another note. Chris Mullins, then a big star for the Warriors--and one of their color commentators on TV to this day--was a notorious alcoholic. Richardson complained bitterly that his drug suspension was racially motivated, that Chis Mullins avoided suspension not only because he was white but because he was just using a different drug. The white man's drug. Some justification for this point of view. In 1986, there were 24,000 traffic deaths due to drunk driving. Unless somebody was in his way on one of his legendary swoops to the basket, Richardson wasn't a threat to kill anybody.

One final note. It's testimony to Richard's legendary status that forty seven years after playing here, this thread still resonates with the individual memories of his feats for so many Griz fans.

I hear you to a degree Citay, and I see both sides. We allowed steroidal-freak East German Women compete in the Olympics at the same time we threw coke and pot users, which doesn't help performance, like MRR out of the NBA. Why?

Played with Michael for 7 years in the GSA roundball golf tourney in the past. Great guy, horrible golfer and may have been well versed in drinking too. lol

GrizPony said:
Played with Michael for 7 years in the GSA roundball golf tourney in the past. Great guy, horrible golfer and may have been well versed in drinking too. lol

I always thought athletic talent was transferable from one sport to the next. Until I saw Charles Barkley play golf.

I have one of his autographed NETS jersey's sitting in a box somewhere in my house. Haven't figured out if I want to sell it, donate it, or hang it up.

Edit: Not a actual NETS jersey...it's the old school NETS design (White with stars up the side), but says SUGAR across the front.

Back