• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff may legitimately need to start his own University and Athletic Department at this rate.

2019 - Louisiana
2021 - Kilgore CC
2022 - Central Arkansas
2023 - Previous commitment to Southern University, de-committed.
2023 - Montana
2024 - Temple
2024 - tbd

Just a guess here, but it sure seems like it's one of two things:

Either he's not beating out the other guys, which means no scholarship or playing time, or, as Colter suggests, he needed a waiver to play this year and wasn't granted one, so now his only option is to drop down (presumably below FCS, but I guess we'll see there).

Just a guess here, but it sure seems like it's one of two things:

Either he's not beating out the other guys, which means no scholarship or playing time, or, as Colter suggests, he needed a waiver to play this year and wasn't granted one, so now his only option is to drop down (presumably below FCS, but I guess we'll see there).
Do you need the transfer portal to drop below D1? I'm not trying to argue, I honestly don't know and when I read the rules it was a little unclear.

None of us will ever truly know where Cliff's head was at. I have my own theories, but the truth of the matter is that we all lose out a little bit. Cliff was someone who helped ignite the spark and led the team back to the national championship. He played with the kind of "put your shoulder down and hit them" mentality that Montana fans have always loved, and there was something about him that gave the team that extra little bit of "oomph." I'll always remember him as the QB that showed up and volunteered to return kicks to show how bad he wanted on the field.

On the other hand, with the way he left, he damaged the legacy he could have had here and I will always believe this is an example of a kid listening to the wrong people and hurting himself. No matter where he ended up, he was never going to be in a situation like he was here. I wish him the best, but I also know he's going to stare at the ceilings some nights and wonder what could have been.

What would waiver be for?
From what I understand, he used a grad transfer last season from UCA to come to Montana, so he would need a special case waiver in order to transfer again, unless he dropped down to DII or NAIA. With the NCAA in flux right now legally, it might be murky, but if he's transferring again, it seems that if that were the cause, he won't be granted a waiver to play.

To answer Elrod's question, I believe you still have to go through the transfer protocol if you're transferring from an NCAA institution, but I'm not 100% sure. You might be able to get around it if you drop down to NAIA.

Probably gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I would be excited to see him back in Missoula. I've heard the story about him asking to come back and BH saying "no". I think sometimes it can be a good thing to welcome somebody back, especially in light of the comments re: him getting bad advice, etc. We're not discussing a backup punter here. What has it been? Three months? Just act like he never left. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back