• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL Mid Portal Update

Grizfan-24

Staff member
So Montana has had a decent amount of movement over the past two weeks and added a bit of clarity to a roster for next year. I am not as pessimistic as I was a few weeks ago.

Just to recap as to what our roster looked like... Not pretty.
Here is what Montana has in regards to returners minutes wise:
2. Brandon Whitney (1,133/31.5mpg)
6. Te'Jon Sawyer (587/16.3mpg)
9. Money Williams (247/20.6/12gp)
10. Chase Henderson (218/9.1mpg/24gp)
11. Blake Jones (192/7.7mp/25gp)
12. Connor Dick (38/2.1/18gp)

Bringing in transfers helped...
1. Malik Moore (Pepperdine): 912 minutes/27mpg
2. Austin Patterson (Sacramento State): 954/28.1
3. Kai Johnson (Western Washington): 964 minutes/33.2

If you looked at the targets for next year, you needed to bring in Minutes, experience and the ability to score:
1. Kai Johnson 21.6ppg (at DII Western Washington)
2. Austin Patterson 9.5 ppg
3. Malik Moore 8.8ppg

If you were to round out the roster with the available scholarships (2 minimum, 3 maximum)

1. Center/Post Defender with experience that can come in and contribute immediately. Immediate transfer and impact bigs are really tough to find, but they need to find a central post defender in the worst way. They have three post players who have range out to the 3pt line, but not a true post player in the mix. The bigger issue is that Sawyer despite his heft is not a great post defender and doesn't play with the greatest instincts as a help defender near the rim. They need someone who can come in and provide the type of post defense that the program lacked last year. Of those that are on the list, I think Ballisager-Web is probably the best fit. He's truly a post only guy. I think the preference is to have Jones be a flex 4/5 guy who can toggle between both positions as a matchup type guy. Davidson's game is more wing-like and can provide that type of length on the perimeter and would be better utilized as a help defender in the post rather than an anchor. Jazz Gardner of Nevada is another post that Montana has been connected with, that fits the role as player that can play inside. I'd take Great Osobor if he would some how be available as well. LOL.

2. Post/Flex 4 scorer. I am not sold that we have a post player who consistently score. We've been searching for it for two years. Sawyer is truly a stretch 5 that thrives off of isolation matchups and really likely needs a 4 who can space things out. They've been after players who fit that role: Yamonouchi-Williams of Portland, Powell of Wyoming, and Erikstrup of Eastern Washington. Powell is likely headed to a power 5 type conference and my guess is that Erikstrup eventually ends up at Washington State with Davis Riley. Williams fits as a 6-10 guy a more direct fit to the role that Josh Bannan held two years ago.

3. Wing Depth with length: If the season were to start today, Montana would go likely go:
  • G:Whitney 6'1'' Henderson 6'0''
  • G: Johnson 6'4'', Dargan 6'3'' Patterson 6'3''
  • W:Moore 6'5'', Thompson 6-6
  • W: Williams 6'5'', Davidson 6'7''
  • P: Sawyer 6'8'', Jones 6'10
That folks is not big lineup. They need some length on the perimeter. Montana I think plans to use Davidson not as a post but as a 3/4 because of his mobility. That being said, they need some defensive length on the perimeter. Everyone outside of Davidson probably trends towards a traditional SG than a true wing. Montana has been connected with of some 6'7'' to 6'9'' wing guys to fill that Jaxon Nap role from last year. Issac Taveras (SG but 6'6'') from Fresno State fits that model, along with several that have since comitted elsewhere (Henley-UNLV, D'Amico-DePaul). Travis has always preferred to have some length on the perimeter for defensive purposes and the ability to defend stretch 4's. Right now there isn't really any body on the roster that fits that role.

Just some observations...

Ballisager-Webb verballed to Portland. Jazz Gardner is garnering mostly Power 5 and Group of 5 interest so that leaves little to no information as to bigs UM is targeting.

Guesses on regional 1 year only guys:
1. Eduardo Andre (Fresno State)
2. Trey Edmonds (UTSA)-Contacted
3. Jhaylon Martinez (UCR)
4. Bent Leuchten (UCI)

Other guys who we've been in contact with before but think would be fits...
1. Makai Richards (Pacific)
2. Yuto Yamanouchi-Williams (Portland)- More in the Dischon Thomas mold than a rim protector.
3. Dane Erikstrup (Eastern Washington)
4. Cyprian Hyde (Portland)- Offered in HS, not sure there is a lot interest now...but he was on the radar.

Long Shots but would love to see:
1. Dylan Anderson (Arizona)
2. Caden Powell (Wyoming)
3. Jensen Bradtke (St. Mary's)- Australian Big that was a graduate of the same school as Josh Bannan.

Back