• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana BSC Conference Week #2 Recap

Grizfan-24

Staff member
I took a week or so off from posting anything anywhere on the egriz site as I was deep in spring break. Please forgive me.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in on the season, but it is hard to see a scenario where the Griz can overcome the hole they've dug. They lost two heart breakers in Ogden, and then the last 4 games have been a lot of what we've seen the past two years. Poor pitching in large doses and an offense while much improved over last year can't overcome a team that has a 9.00 ERA through 6 conference games. Teams are hitting .363, have hit 12 doubles, 8 HR's, while hitting or walking 18 players against Grizzly pitching. Just not a good recipe for success. The offense is league average-ish and is getting all conference offensive performances from Presley Jantzi and Riley Peschek.

Rylee Rehbein has hit a wall, and went from Montana's best pitcher during non-conference to last in conference play and has been only able to muster 8 innings over 6 games. Her ERA is 13.13 and teams are hitting near .450 and her nearly 2 to 1 K to walk ratio has inverted. Maybe it is Freshman slump, but she's not getting the same type of results against competition that isn't any better than what she faced in non-conference. Grace Haegele can't find the zone, and when she is in it she's missing her spots. Similar to last year, she can't avoid hard contact with her off-speed. Brinka is has been the only pitcher that has pitched to her season trends, but still sits 13th in conference with a 5 ERA. Reasonable for a #2 pitcher, but not a #1 which she appears to be at this point.

Watching games over both weekends, the Griz are competitive for 5 innings every game but they've been unable to outrun that bad pitching inning where the wheels come off. They looked every much the equal of Weber in Weekend #1 but outside of small doses didn't look at all competitive against NC outside of game 1 on Saturday. There isn't a trend either. Sometimes it is the first, and it is hard contact, and other innings it is walks, and a misplaced ball in the middle of the zone.

The hitting has been good enough to remain competitive, they've been in games, but the pitching has made all the difference. Tarrant, Peschek, and Jantzi all look the part, and have more depth to the lineup than a year ago. They've moved the lineup around. They'll likely four or five players hit at or near .300 by the end of the season (had none last year) and get two or three players into consideration for all conference. All improvements.

I'm not a softball pitching guru in the slightest, but whatever is going on, teams really have a good bead on what UM is trying to do on the mound. There isn't a conspiracy here, but it just doesn't make sense in a larger scheme at this point. If I knew how to fix it, I'd be out there speaking words of wisdom and getting top shelf results out of the pitchers. Obviously this is a coaching and player exeucution issue and if there was a quick solve, I'd offer it up.

I continue to be impressed with the play of Jantzi and Peschek. Peschek is going to be a very talented player by the time she's done and is doing it at a premium defensive position. Jantzi continues to reach base and I think right now she's a 1st team all-conference player. Teams can't get her out all that often, 10th in OPS, 8th in average, 3rd in OBP. Precisely what you want in your leadoff hitter. Peschek is going to get some consideration for Freshman of the Year. She's top 20 in average, top six in OPS through 6 conference games, top 5 in slugging, top 10 in OBP. She's fielding .945 at short and has only 7 errors in 128 chances as a Freshman.

This is an improved squad over last year, but the pitching hasn't held up. Pitching needs to get traction to if they are going to find their way out the hole they've dug. They have ISU (0-3) at home for three, PSU home for another 3 game set before finishing up the season at Sacramento State. If the pitching finds a grove, they have a chance to make up some ground. At this point I just don't know that it can. Really what it comes down to, if Rehbein can regain some confidence that had her well positioned to be a candidate for Conference Freshman/Newcomer of the year they might have a fighting chance to overcome that abysmal 0-6 start.

This reminds me of the age old question, how much do coaches really develop talent or is it more so the coaches with that reputation have just been better at recruiting kids that are naturally talented. Every year our incoming Fr pitchers have these glowing resumes but only 2 have been able to maintain their high level success in Hood and Achenbach.

Softball pitching is so much different than baseball pitching in how coaches can manipulate certain things to get improved outcomes. I don't think it is necessarily easy, because of the dynamics of how you throw a softball.

Haegele has D1 velo, but not D1 control or consistency.

Brinka has exhibited D1 control, but lacks the velo/off speed to take over games.

Rehbein has D1 stuff, and has been inconsistent lately in her ability to place pitches in the zone.

Herndon has a D1 changeup, but doesn't have any level of consistency to make it useful. Saturday was a perfect example of it.

Softball is all about release and 70% of it is feel and the rest is mechanics. Baseball is 90% mechanics sport on the mound and 10% feel. I've watched a good chunk of ASA high school softball over the years and the answers to fixing things are so simplistic that it is maddening. You'll have a coach scream to their girl on the mound release earlier or later, other's will yell sit on your back leg, or get over the front. If they aren't synced together where the arm/body position is the same, you are going to really struggle with pitch placement in the zone.

I do think Haegele struggles with her mechanics, she's long and gets out of sequence a bit between where her arm/release point and her front foot/strike point is. Particularly evident on her rise. I honestly don't know what the answer is, because I think she over compensates and the rise loses its lift and sits belt high or she over cooks it and it isn't a pitch that college hitters offer at. When she is synced, about 3 of every 5 innings she throws, she has been really good. She's improved in some ways over what we saw last year, but she is so dang prone to really, really, really bad innings. Just completely loses it for 30 pitches.

just an observation. Someone who has better understanding can disprove or provide different analysis.

Back