• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana hoops - Grizzlies turn the corner together

PlayerRep said:
717s7e said:
I don't get the Timmy Falls comment. Everyone who plays is someone who plays because we don't have anyone better. Nobody works harder that Timmy. What he does with his disruptive defense is game-altering. I'll take the occasional turnover for the memory of the fabulous passes. Put me down as a Timmy fan (and a fan of the others also).

See the prior threads and chatter on this subject, where some said exactly that. I was spoofing them. The talk was at the start of the season. I was one of the few that defended Falls then.

Damn clean sarcasm PR! You had me at first, and then I said to myself, “this guy is being ironical!”

Braves84 in Nov:

"He [Falls] is what he is and that is a average bench player for a big sky team.
If gaskin was eligible this year, he would be the 3rd best pt. Guard on the team, behind him and a true freshman in Vasquez and for those who say he isn't a pt. Guard.Well he isn't a shooting guard either"

"So, what was falls issue when he shot around 37% from the field and 32% from 3 point land last year.
Like I said he is what he is, a serviceable role player in limited minuets."

"I totally disagree with you on falls, no confidence in him at all.
Just my opinion,but if the coaching staff and players were so enthralled with him why bring in a grad transfer pg from b.y.u. and openly follow the transfer pg from Portland pilots on Twitter and try and convince him to come to missoula.even after hardnett committed not to mention a highly touted pg . Vasquez out of high school.

Bottom line if falls is getting the majority of the pg minuets after Christmas , it might be a long year.
He's a good back-up pg for a big sky team.

Cleanhouse explaining what Braves means, in Nov:

"He's saying Falls is a 2nd sting guy who his being forced into starter minutes because of the lack of depth you rightly mentioned."

"I think what he is saying is that Falls skill set is that of role player, hes not saying that Falls is playing the minutes of a role player. He's saying Falls is a 2nd sting guy who his being forced into starter minutes because of the lack of depth you rightly mentioned. And I don't think that is an attack in Falls, some guys are pinch hitters because there skill set doesn't translate well over a long stretch but rather have more impact in a spark plug role. Also I think anyone objective would say Falls has an objectively lol poor shooting stroke, its a low line drive and he has side ways rotation on FTs. He's not a good shooter, and again that's fine I don't expect to score a lot, his best skills are stingy D and distributing. But what Braves84 is saying is that if you want to view Falls as a starting level PG then all the turnovers become unacceptable, you can't be a starting level PG if its not efficient to have you handling the ball a lot. And if you want to view him as a starting level shooting guard then his needs be a good shooter or scorer, but it would not be efficient to have Falls get a high volume of shots.

Falls is shooting 37% and 33% from 3.

Vasquez is shooting 31% and 29%.

Neither is great, but if Falls is such a bad shooter, what does that say about Vasquez?

"Josh Vazquez did not have a shoulder brace on during practice Friday and seems close to 100% ... Newly-minted Grizzly Darius Henderson wore No. 40 as his number and practiced Friday with UM."

Today's Missoulian.

PlayerRep said:

Neither is great, but if Falls is such a bad shooter, what does that say about Vasquez?

If Falls would change his release, I guarantee he would be around a 40% 3 pt shooter, and 80% + from the FT line. He needs to get his support hand lighter on the ball, more to the side, and have his release more upward. His shotput like motion takes away from his efficiency. His set up and footwork are pretty damn solid. I'd love to work with Falls. I'm not sure, why he is so stubborn in changing his shot? He would help his game and this team a lot, if he dedicated this upcoming off season to bettering his shot. I honestly think, with repetition, it would be pretty easy transition to make.

As for Vazquez, there is a huge difference in fundamentals. Vazquez, fundamentally has a very nice looking shot. He just needs to regain his confidence. With Josh, it's a mental thing. Just like Manuel, you can see, he has a pure jump shot. In most cases, a player with a fundamentally smooth jumper will find consistency. If, I were coaching Josh, I'd tell him, just keep shooting them. The consistency will come. I won't be surprised to see Vazquez become a very consistent 3 pt and FT shooter. The question is, how long will it take? Unless his shoulder is a nagging issue, I think we will see that coming into play, as we get to post season play, this season.

I'd be interested to hear what Coach Nelson has to say about Timmy's shooting mechanics. To me, it looks like, Timmy just has resisted making changes, or it has not been a big priority for him. Either way, I'm glad he is a GRIZ. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:

I will admit, I too was critical of Falls before the season started. But even with those shooting numbers his defense demands he be on the floor. Dude is unreal, and gets inside peoples heads like nobody on this team in recent memory.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I will admit, I too was critical of Falls before the season started. But even with those shooting numbers his defense demands he be on the floor. Dude is unreal, and gets inside peoples heads like nobody not his team in recent memory.

I will give him his credit, he's good defensively but on offense he's a liability.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I will admit, I too was critical of Falls before the season started. But even with those shooting numbers his defense demands he be on the floor. Dude is unreal, and gets inside peoples heads like nobody not his team in recent memory.
I think you are right on. Falls has the type of playing attitude that really plays into the heads of some players. When it gets the best of them, they really over react either with fouls, sloppy play, or travel. Falls just seems to have the knack to upset the opposing player but has trouble in dealing with how they answer back. Also, I think he is just a gym rat, he cannot help himself for trying to see the game beyond the actual time play. And, he does foul a lot..

PlayerRep said:
CleanHOUSE said:
PlayerRep said:
Too bad UM doesn't have someone better than Falls, so the coaches didn't have to play him only because we didn't have someone better.

I disagree Falls has strong utility as defender. Sometimes for team comp a glove guy like Brendan Ryan in the 8 hole is just a needed as a Kris Bryant in the 3 hole

Clean, here’s the first post in your November thread:

“Is Falls a net liability
Report Quote
Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Thank GOD Timmy Falls didnt get the starting job at PG for us this year. We would be in a ton of trouble, IMO he's either a very selfish or low BBall IQ player. He seems way more concerned with looking flashy...like dude you know you can just do two handed bounce pass, it doesn't have to be a one handed no look spin pass. So often chooses the low percentage play (lets do a try dunk WTF) and thats low IQ basketball. SO many plays with him end up out of control because he tries to do something flashy and it just ends up look SUPER CRINGY. Another problem is he wants to do more than he can, he wants a focal role,but to keep up and do that he has to redline his game which also contributes to things getting out of control. He's undersized and gets pushed around by D-1 athletes and the game often looks like its moving to fast for him. Think its pretty clear he's got the Napoleon complex or he thinks people only like him for his no look passes and if he does a boring pass his fans will abandon him LOL”

I know I was trolling your troll post haha. Timmy has grown his game a lot like everyone else on the team and has cut back quite a bit on needlessly risky decisions. Its been a really impressive conference season so far!

Back