• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana law once again...

Dutch Lane said:
IdaGriz01 said:
All valid points of history.

Nevertheless, despite crowing by the religious folks, and anguish by their opponents, the decision was about "equal treatment under the law." That is (see my comments above): if you allow a tax break to parents sending students to a duly licensed and accredited private school, you cannot treat them differently based some part of the school's legally-allowed curriculum.

FWIW, my wife reminded me of a fact proven by years of observation: Many parents send their kids to "religious" schools without any adherence to the religion involve. (The suit was brought, BTW, by parents whose kids went to "nondenominational Christian" schools.) They simply want the best possible education for their kids, and they don't believe public schools in their area provide that. And they're often absolutely correct. Back when we ran a regional science fair here, we noted three facts. First, home schooled students won top awards out of all proportion to their numbers. Next in line were students enrolled in the Roman Catholic schools. And right behind them were students from, specifically, "Hope Lutheran" school. Despite vastly more entries, students from the public schools won comparatively few of our very top awards.
I have seen the same thing with our local spelling bees the homeschool kids absolutely kick ass year after year at these bees. I used to get asked to judge high school debates and I also noticed that some of the smaller rural schooled kids did just as well or better them the double A kids. I’m not a big fan of the decision because of the culture of all white “Christian” academies that sprung up all over the south after Brown v. Board of Education in order to preserve segregation in private schools, another continuing legacy of the Jim Crow south.

I could not stand Bozo Holy Rosary, Miles City Sacred Heart or Lewiston St. Leos when I was younger (much younger but not as long ago as PR and what Butte Central did to the Smiley brothers, Stiff, Ogle...) However, I vividly recall riding a bus that was virtually empty and the Bozo public schools would not let the Schweitzer kids ride home because they went to Rosary. So there's all that.

After spending a large portion of my adult life in public education, it always pissed me off that when I'd write a federal grant, we'd have to provide those services to any private school in the area be it including them in our ERCM, SPED, and on and on. Now, I would hope they have to do their own paperwork instead of just sit on their hindend while we dio all the grant application work, coordination, training, and year end reports.

There's also this now but even these schools have a difficult time getting kids like Kevin Garnett through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

https://usatodayhss-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/usatodayhss.com/2019/2019-20-super-25-preseason-boys-basketball-rankings-released/amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15936988748137&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fusatodayhss.com%2F2019%2F2019-20-super-25-preseason-boys-basketball-rankings-released

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dutch Lane said:
I have seen the same thing with our local spelling bees the homeschool kids absolutely kick ass year after year at these bees. I used to get asked to judge high school debates and I also noticed that some of the smaller rural schooled kids did just as well or better them the double A kids. I’m not a big fan of the decision because of the culture of all white “Christian” academies that sprung up all over the south after Brown v. Board of Education in order to preserve segregation in private schools, another continuing legacy of the Jim Crow south.

I could not stand Bozo Holy Rosary, Miles City Sacred Heart or Lewiston St. Leos when I was younger (much younger but not as long ago as PR and what Butte Central did to the Smiley brothers, Stiff, Ogle...) However, I vividly recall riding a bus that was virtually empty and the Bozo public schools would not let the Schweitzer kids ride home because they went to Rosary. So there's all that.

After spending a large portion of my adult life in public education, it always pissed me off that when I'd write a federal grant, we'd have to provide those services to any private school in the area be it including them in our ERCM, SPED, and on and on. Now, I would hope they have to do their own paperwork instead of just sit on their hindend while we dio all the grant application work, coordination, training, and year end reports.

There's also this now but even these schools have a difficult time getting kids like Kevin Garnett through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

https://usatodayhss-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/usatodayhss.com/2019/2019-20-super-25-preseason-boys-basketball-rankings-released/amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15936988748137&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fusatodayhss.com%2F2019%2F2019-20-super-25-preseason-boys-basketball-rankings-released
I am one of those last graduating classes of Miles City Sacred Heart. I taught and coached in public high schools in the state and actually one year at a Catholic High Schoolbefore retiring. I think the Catholic High Schools do a good job and it is a good fit for some kids. But like CatGrad said they really don't provide the SPED resources that public schools have to provide. So my only issue with this is that if they should be required to meet the same expectations and serve the same kids. Other than that I am not outraged at this decision. This is a small drop in the bucket of how messed up our school funding system is in Montana. If you want to see what is really syphoning money from public education look that there are hundreds of school districts in Montana with many small districts that should have long ago been consolidated.

Dutch Lane said:
PlayerRep said:
This is a very significant case.This decision will be good for schools like Loyola, including for athletes wanting to go there. Some parents can get a tax credit, just like non-religious school parents. It's a good decision. It wasn't clear what the decision would be contrary, to what the dui lawyer said.

See, the case impacts athletics and football.

Yeah it was clear to constitutional scholars, unlike yourself what the outcome would be. It’s been a 5-4 conservative split court for years PR, come on you’re a lawyer you should know that. Roberts, Thomas, Kavanaugh and Alito are all Catholics and they all went to Catholic prep schools or colleges, so yeah the outcome was clear to most of us attorneys.

Ps. Your mean girl side is showing again, PR. There’s no point in mocking a professional colleague on a college football forum, it just makes you look like an insecure bully, and for a guy with your curriculum vitae. smh. Don’t fall pray to your hurt inner child PR, remember you are good enough, and you’re smart enough and dog gone it most people probably do like you. Go Griz.

My info came from one of the attorneys involve with the case and who was at the supreme court for the arguments.

If you want to continue to tell me to get over myself, etc, then I will continue to snip back at you. Also, I don’t consider you a colleague.

PlayerRep said:
Dutch Lane said:
Yeah it was clear to constitutional scholars, unlike yourself what the outcome would be. It’s been a 5-4 conservative split court for years PR, come on you’re a lawyer you should know that. Roberts, Thomas, Kavanaugh and Alito are all Catholics and they all went to Catholic prep schools or colleges, so yeah the outcome was clear to most of us attorneys.

Ps. Your mean girl side is showing again, PR. There’s no point in mocking a professional colleague on a college football forum, it just makes you look like an insecure bully, and for a guy with your curriculum vitae. smh. Don’t fall pray to your hurt inner child PR, remember you are good enough, and you’re smart enough and dog gone it most people probably do like you. Go Griz.

If you want to continue to tell me to get over myself, etc, then I will continue to snip back at you. Also, I don’t consider you a colleague.

I’m pretty sure we are both members of the state bar, so doesn’t that make us professional colleagues, no? I never told you to get over yourself in my last post that was over on the Taboo thread. Again with the mean girl snark, I mean come on PR you are better then that. How bout I offer an olive branch and we agree to move forward without the personal attacks? Thanks

UncleRico said:
If you want to see what is really syphoning money from public education look that there are hundreds of school districts in Montana with many small districts that should have long ago been consolidated.
These small communities hang onto their school for the wrong reason - because it is their identity. Most of these small communities themselves are decreasing in size and many are now without businesses. But they still remember that that 1969 C team that energized the whole community. Emotion; no logic and insufficient oversight.

kemajic said:
UncleRico said:
If you want to see what is really syphoning money from public education look that there are hundreds of school districts in Montana with many small districts that should have long ago been consolidated.
These small communities hang onto their school for the wrong reason - because it is their identity. Most of these small communities themselves are decreasing in size and many are now without businesses. But they still remember that 1969 C team that energized the whole community. Emotion; no logic and insufficient oversight.

kemajic said:
UncleRico said:
These small communities hang onto their school for the wrong reason - because it is their identity. Most of these small communities themselves are decreasing in size and many are now without businesses. But they still remember that that 1969 C team that energized the whole community. Emotion; no logic and insufficient oversight.

Oh come on! Park City "beat" Bozo Rosary just like Butte Central "beat" the 66 Bozo Chicken Hawks...

Dutch Lane said:
PlayerRep said:

I’m pretty sure we are both members of the state bar, so doesn’t that make us professional colleagues, no? I never told you to get over yourself in my last post that was over on the Taboo thread. Again with the mean girl snark, I mean come on PR you are better then that. How bout I offer an olive branch and we agree to move forward without the personal attacks? Thanks

Huh? Here's your late night June 29 post in Taboo thread:

"JFC, PR, it’s a 127 page free skate. Get over yourself it’s ok if 100% of the fellas don’t agree with you here at egriz/Trump nation. I think there might be 2-3 of us. Lol. :thumb:
Top"

I'm happy to not snip back at you, but you are the one doing/starting it, so I started responding.

PlayerRep said:
Dutch Lane said:

"JFC, PR, it’s a 127 page free skate. Get over yourself it’s ok if 100% of the fellas don’t agree with you here at egriz/Trump nation. I think there might be 2-3 of us. Lol. :thumb:
Top"

I'm happy to not snip back at you, but you are the one doing/starting it, so I started responding.
I didn’t make myself clear in my last post, what I meant to say was yes I told you to get over yourself in the taboo thread but not on this thread. Your taboo thread is going to keep on going during football season and beyond I would wager. Did you realize that it is on the cusp of 100,000 views? :clap: :thumb:

Dutch Lane said:
PlayerRep said:

Top"

I didn’t make myself clear in my last post, what I meant to say was yes I told you to get over yourself in the taboo thread but not on this thread. Your taboo thread is going to keep on going during football season and beyond I would wager. Did you realize that it is on the cusp of 100,000 views? :clap: :thumb:

You do realize that unless you have a serious sleep disorder as I do many do not have hours to read all the various "news" outlets and therefore we appreciate and look forward to the summaries PR provides? This pandemic is going to affect the U.S. on so many levels and we all realize this thing is mutating and changing virtually everyday--I personally can't stand any of the presidents this country has "elected" since Eisenhower besides Nixon and George the Second but I don't come onto this site to read the political talking head's bullshit getting regurgitated by a podunk lawyer (family lawyer is still Roy Barnes and here is one area I beg to differ with PR. A probate lawyer is lower than a dui lawyer but once again, I digress).

I appreciate all PR, argh!, IDA, CDA contribute to the information I don't know a thing about and love the bullshit mud slinging by a few online comedians--lame as they usually are...

There's several peer reviewable journal article topics waiting to be written within the body of this newspaper article. CDA could have a blast with this.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/four-star-2021-wr-jabez-tinae-continues-kennedy-catholic-pipeline-by-verbally-committing-to-washington/

SCOTUS, POTUS, need a bank to float us, Trinity Lutheran, blah, blah, blah. But what about Brick and Charlie Sheen? Who shot PR? HST would provide insight, and the crazy never die, but WTF? Montana is Montana and John Roberts should let us be. When does football start?

Latest posts

Back