• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mornhinweg is terrific announcer

mthoopsfan said:
EverettGriz said:
He loves to hear himself talk as much as I dislike it.

You know so little about football that you can't even understand most of what he is saying.

Not far from reality, because to be perfectly honest I get a little bored by the ten millionth word in the first quarter.

Since you played a fair amount of time ago, I’m sure you find his soliloquies on the the rule changes since your day fascinating. Take the forward pass, for instance. Revolutionary, and I’m sure he did a fine job explaining it to you

EverettGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
You know so little about football that you can't even understand most of what he is saying.

Not far from reality, because to be perfectly honest I get a little bored by the ten millionth word in the first quarter.

Since you played a fair amount of time ago, I’m sure you find his soliloquies on the the rule changes since your day fascinating. Take the forward pass, for instance. Revolutionary, and I’m sure he did a fine job explaining it to you

Now that’s funny! :lol:

UncleP said:
EverettGriz said:

What's really funny is that the two of you, who know little about the game of football, are criticizing one of the best qb's in UM history and a long-time NFL coach, including a head coach.

daGrizJ said:
He seems to me to be trying too hard. He just needs to relax and talk normal. His voice is a bit gravely though.

His voice and the way he talks on the game broadcast is exactly how he talks in real life. He is on ESPN radio with Colter Nuanez every week and that is EXACTLY how he talks and sounds.

EverettGriz said:
He loves to hear himself talk as much as I dislike it.
Absolutely! When he comes on Colter’s show that’s the moment I switch to something else.

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:
Very knowledgeable and insightful.

He obviously knows his stuff, but he wasn't born with an announcer's voice. And he NEVER shuts up! Agree with those who last week compared him to Bill Walton.

Agreed he sounds just like Bill Walton. If he says "conference of champions" just once I'm going to mute him and turn on the radio.

grizfan406 said:
His voice and the way he talks on the game broadcast is exactly how he talks in real life. He is on ESPN radio with Colter Nuanez every week and that is EXACTLY how he talks and sounds.

I agree 100%. I would merely point out that that’s not always a good thing. :lol:

He's great. Offers good observations, maybe a little more than some people want, but still. I think he could hold back on describing every Griz as a great player, although I don't disagree.

Beware_the_D said:
Marty will look at the film, make some corrections, and clean it up for next time. Thought he had a great performance today. I lost it when he mentioned that Grossman got his “buttcheek” down to make the catch 🤣
Right butt cheek. Marty isn't play slop pool out there.

mthoopsfan said:
UncleP said:

What's really funny is that the two of you, who know little about the game of football, are criticizing one of the best qb's in UM history and a long-time NFL coach, including a head coach.

Being a great player/coach doesn't make you a great announcer on TV or Radio.. I didn't watch the game, so have no clue how he did... I am pretty sure Andrew Schmidt had a tweet that said he thought he was drunk... Here is his quote on Twitter "He is so bad and possibly intoxicated. That said that might be what this broadcast needs."

Who would you rather have -

A rando who just take these assignments and does little to no research aside from obvious observations? (common at this level in our experience)

Or a former player with deep ties to the Big Sky, a love of the program & region, and an intimate knowledge of all of those things?

Even if Marty is a bit chatty, give me the latter of the two any day of the week.

Loved hearing Marty.
Hated hearing the AD of ISU go on about their changes to Holt arena....please....I would rather have a colonoscopy!

503Griz said:
Who would you rather have -

A rando who just take these assignments and does little to no research aside from obvious observations? (common at this level in our experience)

Or a former player with deep ties to the Big Sky, a love of the program & region, and an intimate knowledge of all of those things?

Even if Marty is a bit chatty, give me the latter of the two any day of the week.

Exactly. The ESPN color guys that we get in the playoffs are perfect examples of this. They're usually still some ex-player who isn't any better at announcing than Marty, but also know absolutely nothing about the Griz and don't do enough homework. The guy from the EWU playoff game last year is a good case in point. Pronounced everyone's names wrong, and called a redshirt freshman a clutch senior receiver, among other mistakes.

As a salty former news broadcaster, I'll toss in my two cents on the broadcast:
Jay didn't spend a career calling games, so I give him a ton of credit for stepping up to do the broadcasts. I know him personally. I am getting quite a kick out of hearing him "learn on the job." Let's give him a few more games before we write him off. He is making rookie mistakes, sure. But none of us could step into the booth and do better (oh, please don't go there, no you could not unless you've already called at least 100 high school games).
I'm not a fan of Marty's style, but I would absolutely have a guy like him on a team of three if I had the budget for that. I'd have the play by play, the analyst and the color guy and Marty is great with color. He just needs Jay to interrupt him now and again.... Marty, imho, is a "less is more" situation.
Their stat guy Jon, is my old boss. All of them are good humans!
And since they may read eGriz, I am hoping they take this in the positive vein in which it's intended. They're big boys and totally able to take criticism and I don't think they deserve much of that.
And as they go on this season, they will likely get better and better and by next year, I bet we're all glad they're in the booth.

Latest posts

Back