• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU Men's Hoops Coach and Portal Stuff

HelenaHandBasket said:
Heard Zach Payne is leaving Missoula to join the MSU staff.
You heard that, or you saw Colter's tweet? This isn't surprising though when you think about it. He was an assistant for Matt Logie at Whitworth for several years so it makes sense. They have a better connection. And I honestly don't think this is that much of a loss. I honestly wasn't that impressed with him in the 4 seasons we had him. I thought Rachi Wortham was much better before him with the bigs. This could be a net benefit for us depending on who Decuire hires!

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You heard that, or you saw Colter's tweet? This isn't surprising though when you think about it. He was an assistant for Matt Logie at Whitworth for several years so it makes sense. They have a better connection. And I honestly don't think this is that much of a loss. I honestly wasn't that impressed with him in the 4 seasons we had him. I thought Rachi Wortham was much better before him with the bigs. This could be a net benefit for us depending on who Decuire hires!

Heard, hadn't seen anything or would have linked.

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Oh, and the old "we didn't want him anyway" approach.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

STFU. Were you impressed with him? Or would you agree he was a downgrade from Rachi Wortham?

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
STFU. Were you impressed with him? Or would you agree he was a downgrade from Rachi Wortham?

To be quite honest, there has been very little impressive about the Griz men's basketball program over the past 4 years.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Should have happened a year ago and we could have hired Nate Coville.

Brian Quale is in Missoula and might be available.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

To be quite honest, there has been very little impressive about the Griz men's basketball program over the past 4 years.
You're dodging the question dude. Yes the last 4 years have been very uninspiring, part of which I would credit to Payne not being as good of a coach as Rachi was with the bigs. That was one issue, there are plenty of others, but let's focus on this one.

So now le me re-ask the question. Was Zach Payne a downgrade from Rachi Wortham? Yes or no? Its a very simple question!

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You're dodging the question dude. Yes the last 4 years have been very uninspiring, part of which I would credit to Payne not being as good of a coach as Rachi was with the bigs. That was one issue, there are plenty of others, but let's focus on this one.

So now le me re-ask the question. Was Zach Payne a downgrade from Rachi Wortham? Yes or no? Its a very simple question!

Let me rephrase my answer, does it really matter one way or the other? I suggest take the high road and just wish the guy well.

I tend to agree with HHB, “does it really matter anyway if Zach was an upgrade or downgrade from the previous bigs coach? Bigger question is what motivated Zach to make the move?
1) more money? Maybe, the cats are coming off a couple of successful seasons and they are probably awash in $$$ from their booster’s?
2) familiarity with the new coach?
3). Griz have struggled with their bigs the last couple of years.
4). Maybe he saw the hand writing on the wall?
5). Maybe he didn’t agree with Travis’s game philosophy?
Anyway we can speculate till the cows come home as to why he made the move. Best we just wish him luck in his new job and leave it at that.
My opinion, and just my opinion, I’ve felt he did not mesh well with the other staff. He always seemed to be an outsider. But in the end I hope his compensation is commensurate with the cost of living in Bozeman.

My view is that Payne left UM because he had a longer term relationship with the new MSU coach and wanted to go to a place where he could be involved in literally building a team from the ground up (since almost all of the good players, and certainly the best ones, have recently departed).

mthoopsfan said:
My view is that Payne left UM because he had a longer term relationship with the new MSU coach and wanted to go to a place where he could be involved in literally building a team from the ground up (since almost all of the good players, and certainly the best ones, have recently departed).

I agree! He has had a very long relationship with the new coach.

I heard Bad Bear is talking to TCU. Also, Sprinkle has only $50,000 of NIL money to work with at Utah St. Some of his conference competitors have much much more. The Cat women's coach had some issues with some assistants and some players.

Kola Bad Bear to MSU-Billings, D-II. They were a top D-II school last season. She was 2d team all big sky for the Cats.

mthoopsfan said:
Kola Bad Bear to MSU-Billings, D-II. They were a top D-II school last season. She was 2d team all big sky for the Cats.

She must have really wanted to get away from the Cats. Reinforces the rumor at Bobcat Nation of a toxic atmosphere in the Cat locker room

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

She must have really wanted to get away from the Cats. Reinforces the rumor at Bobcat Nation of a toxic atmosphere in the Cat locker room

Maybe. But I think it has way more to do with family than you give credit for.

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

She probably wanted to play for a better team and get closer to home. Eastern, Carroll and Western could compete with the LG and LC.

mthoopsfan said:
maroonandsilver said:

She probably wanted to play for a better team and get closer to home. Eastern, Carroll and Western could compete with the LG and LC.

It's generally customary to give a new coach in any sport three to four years to recruit his own players and install his own system. Holsinger's recruits and transfers are about to leave any comparison to Frontier schools laughable.

citay said:
mthoopsfan said:

It's generally customary to give a new coach in any sport three to four years to recruit his own players and install his own system. Holsinger's recruits and transfers are about to leave any comparison to Frontier schools laughable.

It used to be customary to give a new coach that much time. Now, with transfers and the Portal, some coaches are doing it in a year or two. While it looks like the LG are doing well with high school recruits last year and this year, and with the Portal this year, the new coach has done virtuality nothing in terms of improved production and results in his first two seasons. Disappointing losses, no wins in the tournament. While I assume things will be better, or even much better, he was been a disappointment so far. I've noticed even some of his cheerleaders have noted some of those things in this past year.

mthoopsfan said:
citay said:

It used to be customary to give a new coach that much time. Now, with transfers and the Portal, some coaches are doing it in a year or two. While it looks like the LG are doing well with high school recruits last year and this year, and with the Portal this year, the new coach has done virtuality nothing in terms of improved production and results in his first two seasons. Disappointing losses, no wins in the tournament. While I assume things will be better, or even much better, he was been a disappointment so far. I've noticed even some of his cheerleaders have noted some of those things in this past year.

Shannon went 52-69 in 4 years only one T5 finish. Takes time to rebuild a program the last long term coach left in the dumps. In 2 years he already has a season with a better finish than any of hers(19-11/12-8). Context matters

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Shannon went 52-69 in 4 years only one T5 finish. Takes time to rebuild a program the last long term coach left in the dumps. In 2 years he already has a season with a better finish than any of hers(19-11/12-8). Context matters

And not one Big Sky tournament win, even with the new era of the Portal and transfers. Facts matter. The coach is off to a slow start.

In 19-20, the LG under Shannon were 17-13 and 12-8. So, it took the new coach 2 years to win 2 more games and have the same conference record. Wow, what great progress.

Latest posts

Back