• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU's Indoor Practice Facility

KILO217

I was surprised to see this article. MSU is only 3M shy of their 25M goal for a new indoor practice facility. MSU looks to break ground on it this year.

https://msubobcats.com/news/2023/11/17/football-montana-state-athletics-moves-closer-to-new-indoor-practice-facility-with-board-of-regents-approval-of-project.aspx

KILO217 said:
I was surprised to see this article. MSU is only 3M shy of their 25M goal for a new indoor practice facility. MSU looks to break ground on it this year.

https://msubobcats.com/news/2023/11/17/football-montana-state-athletics-moves-closer-to-new-indoor-practice-facility-with-board-of-regents-approval-of-project.aspx

I am not surprised they could raise the money. I am surprised they didn’t put the money towards stadium upgrades. Griz once again are ahead in both categories

Copper Griz said:
KILO217 said:

I am not surprised they could raise the money. I am surprised they didn’t put the money towards stadium upgrades. Griz once again are ahead in both categories
I agree stadium wise u.of Montana has by far the nicer stadium and GameDay experience, but as far as indoor practice facilities and fundraising it's the bobcats and its not even close..
How do you figure u.of Montana wins both catagories?

Big Sage said:
Who cares!

If your a fan of u.of Montana you should because the price of these facilities are likely only going to get more expensive and the longer u.of Montana waits it's only getting increasingly harder for them to build something even similar of a facility that the bobcats are building.

Livininthebush said:
Big Sage said:
Who cares!

If your a fan of u.of Montana you should because the price of these facilities are likely only going to get more expensive and the longer u.of Montana waits it's only getting increasingly harder for them to build something even similar of a facility that the bobcats are building.

You're kidding or trolling, right? You know ours will be finished this summer? And because we got it in sooner, ours cost significantly less.

ElrodGrizzly said:
Livininthebush said:

You're kidding or trolling, right? You know ours will be finished this summer? And because we got it in sooner, ours cost significantly less.

If you are trying to compare what u.of Montana is doing by having a temporary inflatable bubble dome to an permanent structure. Haha.

How many years will the bubble be usable before the u.of Montana will be looking to upgrade 5-7?

these kind of structures are not meant to be permanent

Copper Griz said:
KILO217 said:

I agree. Whatever they call that abomination by the shit pond needs serious attention. The only reason they’re trying to build an IPF is because UM is. They know it deep down.

Livininthebush said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

If you are trying to compare what u.of Montana is doing by having a temporary inflatable bubble dome to an permanent structure. Haha.

How many years will the bubble be usable before the u.of Montana will be looking to upgrade 5-7?

Considering ours cost half as much and will bring in a projected $500,000 per year, according to the impartial Board of Regents, I'd say we are fine with that. And no, an upgrade isn't needed in 5-7 years. You know that Universities plan out facilities moves sometimes decades in advance, right? And that this isn't just something done by the athletic department, but has been done by independent architects and engineers? And reviewed by the Commissioner of Higher Education and the Board of Regents, right?

You sound like you think some random yokels threw up an an inflatable bounce house. This is a much more physical and long term structure than you seem to realize. Is it meant to last forever? No, of course not. But with our football revenue starting to explode again, that won't be a problem. Being back on top will be great for our budgets in the coming years. Just watch.

I hope they are hiring an independent engineering and architecture firm. In the slightly altered words of Capt. Ramius:

"I want full safeties. We don't want this roof coming down on us"

ElrodGrizzly said:
EverettGriz said:
It would soooo suck to be lil brother.

Imagine spending more that twice as much for the same outcome, and thinking you really came out ahead.

It’s because like most things in Bozeman, it’s a racket. Whoever signed off on the thing probably has a buddy who they are going to overpay to build it. I doubt they took competing bids for the project. msu, Bridger Bowl and the city of Bozeman itself are all guilty of this insider financial shell game.

horribilisfan8184 said:
I hope they are hiring an independent engineering and architecture firm. In the slightly altered words of Capt. Ramius:

"I want full safeties. We don't want this roof coming down on us"

When they were petitioning the Board for approval, part of the proposal was that they would work through an outside architect that the UM Foundation would hire.

Livininthebush said:
ElrodGrizzly said:
Imagine spending more that twice as much for the same outcome, and thinking you really came out ahead.

Bwaaahaaa, if you think they are anything remotely similar, :cry: :cry:

The outcome is the same. A covered, heated space to practice fully in the winter months. That is the outcome, and they are the same. Enjoy paying more than twice as much to practice in the winter.

Livininthebush said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Wonder how long the fabric exterior of msu’s “permanent structure” will hold out. Hopefully they took snow loading into account when designing the metal frame the fabric will be stretched over🫣

grizfnz said:
Livininthebush said:

Wonder how long the fabric exterior of msu’s “permanent structure” will hold out. Hopefully they took snow loading into account when designing the metal frame the fabric will be stretched over🫣

Wait, you're kidding. The "permanent structure" this guy is talking about is just a frame with fabric over it? Like a wig wam? And they are paying 25 million? No offense to wig wams, they were great for living on the American plains temporarily, but I don't know that I would advocate that as the structure for a "permanent" football practice facility.

I would feel actually bad for him if that was what he was bragging about being so much better. I assumed they were building an ACTUAL dome the way he is talking, not just a frame with fabric.

Livininthebush said:
Copper Griz said:
I agree stadium wise u.of Montana has by far the nicer stadium and GameDay experience, but as far as indoor practice facilities and fundraising it's the bobcats and its not even close..
How do you figure u.of Montana wins both catagories?

I think you have taken enough of a beating with other posters responses. To
Me comparing the indoor practice facilities is foolish. Champions Center, weight room, rehab room/equipment, Wa Griz and now the inflatable indoor facility. Griz are second to none in FCS. That is just a reality. Cat fans don’t like it and I understand why. Is what it is. Comparing indoor practice facilities is comparable to crowning one’s team as pre-season champs every year. Just doesn’t mean anything, but I guess it feels good?

CDAGRIZ said:
Copper Griz said:

I agree. Whatever they call that abomination by the poop pond needs serious attention. The only reason they’re trying to build an IPF is because UM is. They know it deep down.

I know you like to think that CDA. However, when Leon Costello came on board the long range facilities plan was developed that included the IPF. The first priority was the new BAC as they needed to free up space in the field house. The IPF was second, and when Choate was hired he started the push for fund raising for it. It had nothing to do with UM and all to do with eliminating the disadvantage of a lot of disrupted practice time because of snow and cold and a recruiting plus. Next will be more stadium upgrades.

Back