• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAAF landscape

Griz til I die said:
The mountain west pinned themselves into a corner by not doing anything. The American out played them and took away their path into Texas. So now comes the really interesting part. When Boise State and/or San Diego State get the invite to the Big 12 or PAC 12, then what do they do? Do they go after UTEP and NMSU who frankly don’t give a shit about their programs, or do they finally give teams like the cats and the Griz, NDSU and SDSU the look they all deserve? One can only count on the Mountain West to make the wrong decision.

For now, it looks like we’re stuck in the FCS whether you like it or not, until either the MW offers an invite or until several of these FCS teams say [#]f### it and all move up together and form their own conference.

Man we can’t beat Sac State right now. Maybe let’s focus on that before joining the Mountain West.

Griz til I die said:
The mountain west pinned themselves into a corner by not doing anything. The American out played them and took away their path into Texas. So now comes the really interesting part. When Boise State and/or San Diego State get the invite to the Big 12 or PAC 12, then what do they do? Do they go after UTEP and NMSU who frankly don’t give a shit about their programs, or do they finally give teams like the cats and the Griz, NDSU and SDSU the look they all deserve? One can only count on the Mountain West to make the wrong decision.

For now, it looks like we’re stuck in the FCS whether you like it or not, until either the MW offers an invite or until several of these FCS teams say [#]f### it and all move up together and form their own conference.

A former JC and a state teachers college to the PAC? You'll see flying pigs first. Given the desperation of the remainder of the Big12, stranger things have happened.

I do agree with you that the Griz have no place to move up to at present. Given the musical chairs going on it might change in the near future.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

Man we can’t beat Sac State right now. Maybe let’s focus on that before joining the Mountain West.

I understand that thought process, but I think it’s separate from any move up discussion given how things be changin’ (and women be shoppin’).

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

Beating Sac is not a prerequisite to moving.

CDAGRIZ said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I understand that thought process, but I think it’s separate from any move up discussion given how things be changin’ (and women be shoppin’).

I agree. I too understand the line of thought, but there will always be something similar. Hell, Boise couldn’t beat us when they went FBS. I think it’s fair to say it hasn’t hurt them.

A move to (not up, to) the FBS is more about facilities, fan and donor support, and commitment to athletics.

We have all those things, and if we fail to act when we have an opportunity, we’ll be left in the Dixie Dust

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
JMU just got the invite from the sun belt.

Et tu, JMU? :( :( :(

All our rivals are gone. We're gonna be left in a division with a bunch of directional schools very, very soon.

I know. Sad. I really wish there were a way for both UM and MSU to get into the MWC where they belong.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Et tu, JMU? :( :( :(

All our rivals are gone. We're gonna be left in a division with a bunch of directional schools very, very soon.

I know. Sad. I really wish there were a way for both UM and MSU to get into the MWC where they belong.

Additionally, I will say that I’m not the only one in my circle who is getting a bit bored with our current opponents. The only thing worse than getting bored with those opponents is losing to them.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

Christ on a crutch that’s such a lame argument. Just so short sighted.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Sam Houston being targeted by C-USA
That’s just an act of desperation by C-USA. How in any way is SHSU ready to make the move? I don’t think their stadiums big enough. I think they’re more likely to fold then that.

Griz til I die said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
That’s just an act of desperation by C-USA. How in any way is SHSU ready to make the move? I don’t think their stadiums big enough. I think they’re more likely to fold then that.

I guess I don’t know the answers to your questions. I just know they are being targeted.

Griz til I die said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

How big was coastal Carolinas stadium when they moved up?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Griz til I die said:

How big was coastal Carolinas stadium when they moved up?
15,000 but they expanded it very quickly to 21,000.

Griz til I die said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Looking at:

To C-USA
SHSU - stadium is 13,500
Tarlton State - 16,600, just moved up ( next 18 months another 8000 or so added)
New Mexico State - 30,000 (done deal IMO)
McNeese State - 17,000
Liberty (probably done deal - although they would prefer Sun Belt IF ……….)

To Sun Belt
Southern Miss (done deal)
Marshall (was done deal but may stay in C-USA)
Old Dominion (leaning towards Sun Belt but….)
James Madison (going either Sun Belt or C-USA)

Sounds like JMU, Marshall, ODU is a package to one of the leagues) ….. Liberty would prefer to join that package.

FCS could be losing JMU, SHSU and McNeese, all traditionally strong schools.

Group of 5 really needs their own National Championship and a flood of more FCS schools would go.

Griz til I die said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Easy upgrade for Sam. Desperation, maybe, but UM would be pretty excited if the MWC got a little desperate.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

Easy upgrade for Sam. Desperation, maybe, but UM would be pretty excited if the MWC got a little desperate.

If we ever got a sniff at the MWC I’d be so jacked. Just sick to death of the big sky

G5 FBS is becoming the new de facto FCS. I have heard some rumblings about an eventual seperate post season for the G5 FBS. Which is fine with me. I just wish the Cats and Griz were in the MWC. I like regional conferences with universities that have something in common.

When Boise State and San Diego State eventually leave I think there is a chance the UM and MSU could be invited. But not until at least on of those two are gone.

The MWC I would like to see:

1. Fresno State
2. San Jose State
3. Nevada
4.UNLV
5. Utah State
6. Montana
7. Montana State
8.Wyoming
9. Colorado State
10. Air Force
11. New Mexico
12. Hawaii (football only)
13. Gonzaga (basketball/olympic sports)

UM and MSU could hold their own in that league and it would be fun for the players and fans.

Bison Fan here. Let's reshape the C-USA. With only 5 teams, it would be easy to do

West Division
North Dakota State (football only)
South Dakota State (football only)
Montana (football only)
Montana State (football only)
Sam Houston State
Stephen F Austin
UTEP
New Mexico State

East Division
FIU *
Louisiana Tech *
Middle Tennessee *
Western Kentucky *
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
UMass (football only)
UConn (football only)

Arkansas-Little Rock and UT-Arlington are rumored to be joining as full conference members but not in football

AZGrizFan said:
Pounder said:
To pre-empt what?

FBS conferences expanding must, at some point, not simply grow the pie, but grow the slices of the pie. The Pac-12 was going to do that with Texas, but Texas held off because of exactly what happened a couple months ago. There's no viable growth for the Pac without inexplicably dislodging "big" schools from another P5 conference.

The Mountain West is similar. There's speculation that they ought to dive for a Texas school like SMU... a road the old WAC had been down before with painful results, and current MWC California schools may not be allowed to vote for a Texas school. I did say "may." Besides, does SMU really deliver Dallas?

Mind you, the big 12 (lack of capitalization intended) has a different reason to expand, and their expansion may not achieve that (never mind they're destined for a TV revenue reduction). In theory, it should become the P4.

They deliver dallas when they're 7-1 and ranked in the top 25.

So why did the American go with North Texas over SMU?

EverettGriz said:
I agree. I too understand the line of thought, but there will always be something similar. Hell, Boise couldn’t beat us when they went FBS. I think it’s fair to say it hasn’t hurt them.

A move to (not up, to) the FBS is more about facilities, fan and donor support, and commitment to athletics.

We have all those things, and if we fail to act when we have an opportunity, we’ll be left in the Dixie Dust

You missed one. Broadcasting/streaming.

The danged thing about this is that the furthest west this realignment appears to be going is New Mexico State. There is no assurance that Boise will be moving.

Latest posts

Back